Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, I love my car. But I'm also tired of my friend saying that once his new M3 arrives, his car is gonna make my IS eats dust. And I can't really argue, cos' unfortunately, that will probably happen......It won't happen next year, but heard that Lexus is working on it right now. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Mrclam, I know that you're a BMW owner, and I won't argue with you. Cos' you're probably right, this new M3 is crazy man. Just stock can already compete with the likes of a base carrera, not turbo I guess. Anyway, guys, what do you think? M3, S4, or turbocharged IS? Forget about the Mercedes C32, I read about it, it doesn't sound too exciting for that kinda price. I might still go with the IS. I was a BMW man all along, but recently looking for change, and really feel like home in the IS.

BTW, I don't really care about reliability, but all my old bimmers did give me small problem here and there. But that won't stop me from considering a car if it's fun to drive.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I like IS more than bimmers because IS is more edgy, and has more soul in it, I guess. BMW is all about balance. I feel more exciting in IS than in BMW. Maybe M3 is different, but I still want IS. Well, maybe I sould get some turbochargers and nitrous so I can blow the M3s off!

------------------
K.P.

·
8,107 Posts
Older BMWs are more edgy like the IS300, it's the new E46, especially the 2001 which has lost all edge to it. Clam's M3 and supposedly the new E46 M3 have that edge you like. But who wants to buy an M3 for $50,000 if the driveshaft's gonna snap at 30,000 miles? Forget paying for it, that could kill you.

Originally posted by Rookie84:
I like IS more than bimmers because IS is more edgy, and has more soul in it, I guess. BMW is all about balance. I feel more exciting in IS than in BMW. Maybe M3 is different, but I still want IS.

[This message has been edited by ckolsen (edited December 20, 2000).]

·
Registered
42 Posts
cyclops,
Don't worry about power now. just drive the car it is totally different from the m3's. I have talked with TRD about the SC, I did not check on the turbo in fact I did not know they had plans for aturbo from trd. Anyway the SC is still being designed and probally will not be released for atleast 8 months (per a TRD contact). They have three IS 300 they are testing and designing on. If you want to go faster do some minor work right now. Exhaust, air intake and so on. If you want to get more power and don't care about warranty then XS engineering has either a turbo charger or Super charger coming soon. Turbo Is can help on that one. Swift racing offers some headers but you will lose some low end speed. but all in all just remember it takes a driver to win a race people might think they have a fast car BUT do they know how to drive it??? NOPE ..

RAB

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
the new m3 has has gotten better GREATLY over the previous one in staright line acceleration. i think its' like .7 faster in the 1/4 and almost a second faster in the 0-60 which is a LOT for a car that went 0-60 in 5.6. i wouldn't discount hte c32, it's not out yet is it? well from what i'm hearing it's a great advesary to the new m3, i'm sure it's worth the money if you want an auto. i don't know about the other 3 series but i know the m3 has a heart and soul, taht car OWNS. yes the car is well balanced(i was giong down a hill at 100 and accelerating hard with quite a good number of turns and the girl with me thought i was only going like 60) but that's a good thing, i don't want a car whree i feel like i'm going to lose it in half a second. if it's danger you want maybe you should go for an IS but the m3 gives the driver a very secure feeling at the car's limits and the turning is AWESOME.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Well, mrclam, Is and M3 shouldn't be compared. M3 is almost $20k more expensive than IS. I admit that M3 is a kick-a$$ car. But I don't think 325 and 330 have as much soul and edginess as IS does. I haven't even got my IS yet, so I don't know how it controls when you push it. But I know that IS bags to be pushed. I'm not buying IS for danger. I just love the soul and edginess IS has. You are saying that IS has no control when it's pushed hard. You're wrong. IS is a great car. It is not what you think it is, mrclam. Have you even driven one yet? Don't judge a car before you drive it.

------------------
K.P.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Originally posted by cyclops:
Hey Mrclam, I know that you're a BMW owner, and I won't argue with you. Cos' you're probably right, this new M3 is crazy man. Just stock can already compete with the likes of a base carrera, not turbo I guess. Anyway, guys, what do you think? M3, S4, or turbocharged IS? Forget about the Mercedes C32, I read about it, it doesn't sound too exciting for that kinda price. I might still go with the IS. I was a BMW man all along, but recently looking for change, and really feel like home in the IS.

BTW, I don't really care about reliability, but all my old bimmers did give me small problem here and there. But that won't stop me from considering a car if it's fun to drive.
S4 = cant compare to the new m3...the 1/4 time doesnt even match up to the e36 m3.

------------------
Solar Yellow/Black IS300

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i HAVE driven the is300 and i still have te same opinion.

Originally posted by Rookie84:
Well, mrclam, Is and M3 shouldn't be compared. M3 is almost $20k more expensive than IS. I admit that M3 is a kick-a$$ car. But I don't think 325 and 330 have as much soul and edginess as IS does. I haven't even got my IS yet, so I don't know how it controls when you push it. But I know that IS bags to be pushed. I'm not buying IS for danger. I just love the soul and edginess IS has. You are saying that IS has no control when it's pushed hard. You're wrong. IS is a great car. It is not what you think it is, mrclam. Have you even driven one yet? Don't judge a car before you drive it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
mrclam
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing