Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IM interested in buying either an IS300 or bmw 325i..reliability is one of my main concern..i been going to bmw.org and alot of post about poor workmanship of those bmw's..but how could a car so expensive being so poorly builded?hows the IS300 overall?any new problems lately?the truth is that i liked the bmw's more bcos i find it more comfy and very good safety rating..but i rather have an IS300 for less trips to the service department.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
And you always thought bimmers are quality built cars???? Think again..........

You know......there are many products on the market that are highly over-rated.....

It's your call......Well, we know who wins hands down on reliability!!!!!

You should get the one that makes you feel good in it....If both feel good, pick one that makes you feel better....

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
expensive doesn't mean problem free. Look at the new S class, the SLK, the E, and pretty much all the BMWs. Every M3 that I know has problem, especially with the engine (mainly oil). 2 of 3 SLK I know has boost and fuel problem with its supercharger. Everybody and MB has now recognized that the new S class's front suspension has problem. If you want a car that is almost problem free, you usually won't go wrong with Lexus.
We have 3 Lexus (including my IS) at home and I know numerous people that have LS400, and no problem at all with these cars. If you really want to see the reliabity of the IS, you may want to wait until early next year or so to see what magazines' long term test say.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
I don't think this guy needs to be sold on Lexus reliability. He already is worried about the quality of BMWs.

I think it all comes down to what you value more...I think of it this way (for the sake of argument, K guys)...if BMW has better performance and Lexus has better reliability, I would choose Lexus. Why? Simple. It is easy to make the Lexus perform better through modifications like a turbo or supercharger, suspension upgrade, exhaust, intake, blah, blah, blah...but I would be hard pressed to find a way to improve the reliability of the BMW...I wouldn't even know where to start or what to do. If anyone can tell me how to upgrade a car to make it more reliable, someone enlighten me...I know, swap the Lexus internals into the BMW body!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does anyone know how reliable the Altezza has been? I realize that's a hard one to measure in Japan because they have to replace their engines every 3 years (or thereabouts), and car turnover is pretty high, but I would think that Altezza reliability would closely approximate Is300 reliability.

·
Registered
239 Posts
i agree with u guys in Lexus reliability as my family had an ES300 and has a LS400 and never ever had any problems with them. but just cuz "Lexus" has a good name for reliabillity, doesn't it NOT necessarily mean that a new car that Lexus comes out with will be as reliable as previous cars were. i would think the IS300 would turn out to be as reliable.. but isn't it not a surprise when a company comes out with a new car and ends up having to work out kinks that are found after the first year car is out?
if anyone got what i said then reply heheh

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
1st year cars always have problems. The 1998 (that is the 1st year of the current models right?) had problems. It happens, even to Lexus...at least they work on their problems. Be glad it's not a Mitsu, they hid their problems that should've been recalled.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Originally posted by Daniel:
expensive doesn't mean problem free. Look at the new S class, the SLK, the E, and pretty much all the BMWs. Every M3 that I know has problem, especially with the engine (mainly oil). 2 of 3 SLK I know has boost and fuel problem with its supercharger. Everybody and MB has now recognized that the new S class's front suspension has problem. If you want a car that is almost problem free, you usually won't go wrong with Lexus.
We have 3 Lexus (including my IS) at home and I know numerous people that have LS400, and no problem at all with these cars. If you really want to see the reliabity of the IS, you may want to wait until early next year or so to see what magazines' long term test say.
I've never experienced and engine problem with my SLK, and I've owned it for 2 years and 23,000 miles. The only problem that I've ever had was when the top would get stuck coming up once in a while, the problem was a faluty electrical wire. This was just last week. Now it works great.

------------------
1998 Mercedes Benz SLK230

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
Altezzer
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing