Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm using megasquirt on my celica with 3sgte and on my corolla with 7age.

i'm planning to buy a IS on next summer and i was wondering if some peoples are using megasquirt as engine management here ??

thanks !

·
Registered
452 Posts
ive gotta get my mind out of the gutter haha

Reactions: djmatrix

·
Registered
272 Posts
Bevis: "Heh, heh, he said, 'Megasquirt'. "
Butthead: "Shut up, mega-buttmunch."

I've built and installed Megasquirt EFI on several engines - old Datsun turbo
6s, Toyota 7Ms, and Chevy V8s. It could work on an IS as well (or better) than the Peter Farrell TEC3.

A good, economical standalone system ASSuming the builder/installer has the electronics/tuning skill to set it up properly. The ECU must be built specifically to work with the engine/ignition system being used.

The Megasquirt MegaSquirt® EFI by Bowling and Grippo has somewhat of a bad reputation because many kit builders have less than adequate soldering/wiring skills.

·
Registered
886 Posts

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
There is 1 member, that I know of, who is working on getting his car to run with MegaSquirt. If it works on other cars, I don't see why it won't work on the IS. You just got to get pass the triggering and find a good solution for the ignition. I'll admit, when I hear the name MegaSquirt...I can swear the creator was watching too much Peter North movies.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm a bit disapointed as it seem that no one here i've tried to use megasquirt on is300 !!!

i'm using megasquirt for a while, and the only problem i seen is the drive by wire throttle body of the is....

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
i'm a bit disapointed as it seem that no one here i've tried to use megasquirt on is300 !!!

i'm using megasquirt for a while, and the only problem i seen is the drive by wire throttle body of the is....
Not too many engine management systems support DBW either, the high end ones like the Motec, Pectel, HKS do though. You have to remember not many people like to take a risk and install something that hasn't been proven to work on the IS just yet for fear of blowing the motor. Most members here also like customer support when things go wrong. With MS you're not going to find much support here. But rest assured there is a guinea pig who is trying to get the MS to work on his IS now.

·
Registered
416 Posts
It's all about the expensive systems here. Some will say "you get what you pay for" and not know what they're talking about because they have no experience with it. It has its quirks, but it is just as reliable and 99% as tunable as the expensive stand alones, plus the added ability of if anything breaks (which I have NEVER had a problem with the MS itself, just configuration), I can easily fix it myself. I run a Megasquirt on my turbo Saturn and ran one on my DD prior to the IS. I don't see any reason you can't run it on the IS. In fact, I might run one when I turbo the IS just to say it can be done.

In my experience, I like the MS better because I have total control over everything the system does. I can even modify the micro code if I need to. If it's support you're looking for and you don't want a system that is for the most part Open Source, the MS isn't for you. If you're in to doing your own thing and don't mind troubleshooting your own issues, and only need the support of the MS forum when you need it, go for the MS and save yourself some money.

It only has a "bad rep" because people that have no idea what tuning even is jump head first into a Megasquirt expecting it to be as easy as an expensive stand alone. "Plug and Play" if you will. It's not. So people hook them up wrong, configure them wrong, or just plain are retarded and they blame it on the MS. 100% of the problems I have seen with the MS are user error.

Nate

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
I only know of one person attempting this as well and it is still a work in progress...

In the end, I'm sure it can work, but it will take a lot of R&D before even the tuning R&D can take place.

My time is money, and while I have been a huge fan of DIY projects, I now lean towards other people doing the development so I can spend more time enjoying things. And since most people have the IS as a daily driver instead of a 2nd project car (which will soon change as the IS becomes cheaper and cheaper), most people aren't willing to dedicating the 3-6mths to get it setup correctly. Tackling the tuning of a car is time intensive enough for me.

Best of luck and I will definitely give major props to the first person that tackles this successfully.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Megasquirt didn't work so well for me just because I tried it at the early stages of MS... This would be back in '03 when I was turbocharging my Camry V6. Despite the hardware issues from the less experience folks that I had my electronics done, there were also too many bugs and crashes, very unstable timing, on the software side... There weren't updates for configuring a missing teeth trigger during that time. Eventually, I moved onto more expensive systems (AEM EMS) and ventured into there instead.

I might go back to MS and give it another shot on my IS300, but as we know, our DBW is what cause our headaches with tuning. In the tuning and driveability standpoint, surprisingly, my E-manage Ultimate is doing everything just fine and there is no need for me to switch over to MS at the current moment.

Reactions: somguy2u

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
What I would do is start it out with fuel only, since spark would be more difficult if you went with the stock coil packs. Unless someone on the MS forums has figured out how to make the MS work with the stock igniter.

Once someone gets it working on an IS, that would make a good base config for everyone else to use. Getting the initial config is the hardest part, especially the base settings, cranking and warmup enrichments. The rest is all tweaking.

The MS2 processor would be the way to go. MS1 had it's problems in the beginning, but that's what happens with an open source project. Plus the MS1 processor isn't nearly as powerful as the MS2 processor. The MS2 is faster and able to handle more stuff faster. The MSnS code for MS1 actually takes up more memory than the processor has, so after startup it dumps the cranking and startup portions of the code out of memory and loads the extra MSnS features. The MS2 has more memory so it doesn't have to do that.

Nate

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'm running my 3sgte for 2 years with the msn'spark extra with ms1 CPU with no problems at all....i'm still having the cracking and startup (warming ) options...don't know what you mean by dumping these options ??

by the way with VB921, you don't need anymore the OEM ignitor, it just acting as the stock ignitor...one VB921 for each coil. as there is one coil for 2 spark plugs ( waste spark ) you only need 3 VB921.....

the only mather is using the OEM Crank/Cam sensor wich might not be a big deal as many stock distributors are supported ( 2 wheel setup with missing tooth, no mather the quantity)....any way i did use a missing tooth wheel on my crank pulley as signal for my celica at the moment as i'm not using the OEM dizzy at all....i'm all waste spark and distributorless ignition....and it is working fine !!!

i think the big deal is about the vvt-i.....I know that old vvt system was only a kind of electric switch into a cam gear and it just retard/advance cam timming at a fixed RPM ( somewhere arround 4.5K ), so this was just a mather of on/off at a fixed RPM....but i don't know much about vvt-i...is this a fix RPM switching system again or is it something like the Honda i-Vtec ??

the i-Vtec is and adjustable cam gear that retard/advance degrees depending of the RPM and the engine load ( mesured by the MAP sensor, in the case of honda vacuum ) with the variable valves lift/duration...this is what i call a non on/off switch device at fix RPM...is this the same for vvt-i ???

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
The member working on the MS2 has it wired up on the PNP harness as we speak, we will try to crank her soon and once it turns it is just a matter of tuning from then on. I am confident that he can get it to work as it is a tried and tested system on 86 forums. Hopefully he chimes in soon.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
diyautotune.com has been producing pre-built MS kits for a couple years now, and would eliminate a lot of the soldering problems most people would have.

There are tons of places to buy pre-built MS kits nowadays but I believe diyautotune is one of the more dominant distributors.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 59 Posts