Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2009 IS 250 about 4 months ago, so far no problems, but with the recent Toyota problems, I'm a little worried about accelerator problems arising from my Lexus. Am I overreacting? I know the Lexus hybrids are also being checked, but how about the other models? Should we be concerned with our Lexus? I emailed the Lexus dealership where I bought the car, but no reply.

·
Registered
766 Posts
from what ive read , it only affects toyotas , lexus and scions were not affected

·
Registered
875 Posts
I just wanna say that my wife is the biggest Worry-wart-Panties-in-a-bunch gal in the whole universe... I <3 Honey!!! ^_^`
She drives a 08 Highlander, and she IGNORES the whole recall
thing.

so yeah, no worries for me too

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I bought a 2009 IS 250 about 4 months ago, so far no problems, but with the recent Toyota problems, I'm a little worried about accelerator problems arising from my Lexus. Am I overreacting? I know the Lexus hybrids are also being checked, but how about the other models? Should we be concerned with our Lexus? I emailed the Lexus dealership where I bought the car, but no reply.
yes, you're over-reacting.

Your car was built in Japan, so it's not impacted at all by the most recent accelerator issue.

The only other acceleration issue that they've had was from using the wrong floormats in a car, so stick to the correct floormats and you should be just fine.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The MEDIA sells Fear... Fear sells advertising.
For all the millions of Toyota's are out there for the recall only .0001% have had
acceleration issues. You have a better chance of winning the lottery.
BTW, CTS sells 3% of their pedals Toyota, so who's using the
other 97%. Hmmm, lets see, GM?, Chrysler? ... Ford?
Toyota may look bad right now, but in 6 months they are going to look like angels when
people start crawling under their GM car and be like, "hey, theres a CTS pedal in my Pontiac! Why aren't these being recalled!!!" Ford is already looking into theirs right now.

·
Registered
766 Posts
The MEDIA sells Fear... Fear sells advertising.
For all the millions of Toyota's are out there for the recall only .0001% have had
acceleration issues. You have a better chance of winning the lottery.
BTW, CTS sells 3% of their pedals Toyota, so who's using the
other 97%. Hmmm, lets see, GM?, Chrysler? ... Ford?
Toyota may look bad right now, but in 6 months they are going to look like angels when
people start crawling under their GM car and be like, "hey, theres a CTS pedal in my Pontiac! Why aren't these being recalled!!!" Ford is already looking into theirs right now.
exactly

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Steps 1-3 are great advice.

Step 4 should be once in neutral find someplace safe to pull over and then turn off the car.

No real reason to waste a 911 operators time here as if you remain calm and do the other steps there's no emergency at all.

Step 5 should be call Lexus Roadside assistance to get towed to a dealership.

Of course, if you use the correct floormats you won't have this problem in a Lexus to begin with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
even if your gas pedal is defective and starts acting weird,

1. don't panic
2. don't call 911
3. just shift into neural with applying brake.
4. now you can call 911.
^^^yes, that is the correct thing to do.

No, your IS is not affected by the recall. The incident with the ES was due to incorrect floor mats being installed.

Toyota uses pedals assembled and sourced by CTS where as Lexuses are suppled by Nippon Denso. There's nothing wrong with Lexus pedals. There is a possibility that pedals will be modified but no word as of yet.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
DUDE!!!1111 EVERY ONE FREAK THE F**K OUT!!111

dear, OP. YOUR GOING TO DIE,!!! YOU SHOULD BE OVERREACTING DON'T DRIVE YOUR CAR, TAKE THE BUS!!111

·
Registered
544 Posts
Listen up everyone, if your car starts accelating on its own, push down on the brake, hard!!!
That's all, one step, don't worry about neutral or anything else.
There are almost no cars on the road today (probably none built after 1980) that have enough engine torque (even at full throttle) to overcome the clamping force of their brakes.
Try it if you don't believe me, just mash the gas at any speed and keep the pedal floored while you hit the brakes with your left foot (please practice in a safe, open area). Your car will stop in a fairly reasonable amount of time without much ado.
Be safe, be smart, be prepared, don't panic.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have had this problem....
I TOOK my right foot and put it under need the accelerator and lifted up.
It work and didnt stick anymore.
Got lucki i guess.
SUPER SCARY.
Super scary cuz you were fiddling around with the gas pedal instead of stomping on the brake pedal. You panicked and reacted improperly. If it ever happens again - just hit the brakes with authority. Your car will stop.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.