Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Hawaii a few years ago, and still can't stop thinking about going back there.

How's the job market there? How much to but a small house for 2 people?

What island is best? I imagine there are probably more jobs in Honolulu, but that's the last part I'd want to live in.

Anywhere else where there are plenty or jobs in technology sales? I think Sprint and AT&T have several offices in HI.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stcleaner said:
Ask IS300TRD with his fleets it apears good paying jobs are plentiful in Hawaii
Yeah, IS300TRD--How do I get a job making that kind of jack and still have time to play on the internet all day?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I paid $2390 shipped with the cheap Falken's.

They're Gewalt Evo II's, 19x8. I got them from Vic at wheeloptions.com

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I've yet to see them on another car, which is why I like them. I don't think they import many to the US.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
job market actually sucks in hawaii...that's why a lot of locals (like me) move away for work. it really depends on what industry you're in...

a few years back, the state tried to get more high tech companies to move and set up in hawaii to attract the local talent...in an effort to get them to come back to hawaii...even the university of hawaii tried to entice people to come back with more high tech jobs. don't know how that went, but all i remember was that when i saw the offer, i basically laughed. it was no where near what you can make on the mainland...and the cost of living in hawaii is still pretty high (compared to the national average)...

if you're looking to move there, do a lot of research...

oh, my dad works for GTE in hawaii...they still have some high tech positions...i think...

one more thing...one of my friends opened up a cellular phone business there...i think he's doing well...also, the shop i used to work is still up and going and doing well too...not too many other ppl i know in hawaii are doing so well though...

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked out their site--Verizon posted 3 jobs today for outside sales, but it's for that BS SuperPages.com website.

Thanks for the advice and the tip though!

Next time you talk with your dad, see if he knows anyone that's a sales manager/director there if you don't mind.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
thing is...i don't talk to my dad. don't ask why... =P

what kind of sales experience do you have??? one of my friends used to work at sprint there...maybe someone i know still does...

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HyperMKIV said:
thing is...i don't talk to my dad. don't ask why... =P

what kind of sales experience do you have??? one of my friends used to work at sprint there...maybe someone i know still does...
That's cool.

I've been in sofware/hardware/web hosting/telecom sales for about 10 years with AT&T, WorldCom, Interland, and a couple small medical imaging software companies.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
Trovador said:
Sheeshh, between moderating the go fast forum and entrepreneur activities in Hawai. I don't know how he does it. :-?
umm...don't have anything in hawaii anymore cept for family...all my business activities in hawaii have been terminated...by choice...

when i moved to cali, i was still doing some sales and some promoting/co-ordinating...but my engineering job really takes up way too much time... :-?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Hawaii Sucks :x It is a great place to visit, but not very great to live. I was born and raised here and have spent 18 of my 19 years living here. That one year that I spent in the mainland was awesome. I would love to live in California. Like everything it has it's ups and downs, you just don't appreciate things until you live without them. I would say Hawaii is a better place to live if you were born here, there is a way of life and culture, that mainland born people just don't understand. Job market also sucks here, we are underpaid and there just aren't many jobs to begin with.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
R808IS300 said:
Hawaii Sucks :x It is a great place to visit, but not very great to live. I was born and raised here and have spent 18 of my 19 years living here. That one year that I spent in the mainland was awesome. I would love to live in California. Like everything it has it's ups and downs, you just don't appreciate things until you live without them. I would say Hawaii is a better place to live if you were born here, there is a way of life and culture, that mainland born people just don't understand. Job market also sucks here, we are underpaid and there just aren't many jobs to begin with.
totally agree...when i moved here, i did so for the $$$...but you really really miss the people. it's all about the ohana...and you can't get that up here. i guess that's why i tend to hang out with a lot of hawaii ppl up here. the house i just moved into has two hawaii guys living there.

oh...and you totally miss the food too...at least i met one girl up here who says she knows how to make ono spam musubi's... :D

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
spam musubi...mmm...man, i think i'll go to san francisco tonight and eat at that one hawaiian place...getting all hungry and craving hawaiian food... :p :p :p

·
Registered
378 Posts
ATLDave said:
stcleaner said:
Ask IS300TRD with his fleets it apears good paying jobs are plentiful in Hawaii
Yeah, IS300TRD--How do I get a job making that kind of jack and still have time to play on the internet all day?
If I had to work for a living, Hawai'i is probably one of the last places I would be. :lol: As others have mentioned, the job market in Hawai'i is pretty poor and the cost of living is high compared to other parts of the United States. :( You might want to check out a series of articles in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin called the "Price of Paradise" (http://starbulletin.com/specials/pop/pop2002.html) to get more of a feel for the socioeconomic climate of Hawai'i.

All that talk about Spam musubi is making me hungry.... :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
9 Participants
HyperMKIV
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing