Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday as I followed my wife home, I thought the SportCross seemed to be leaning on the driver's side ...... but dismissed it as my imagination. This morning as I backed the other car out of the garage, I noticed once again what-seemed-to-be a lean on the driver's side. So I got out and measured with a tape measure.

Sure enough, there is a lean on the driver's side. A little over a quarter of an inch in the rear, and almost half an inch in the front. Tires are not underinflated, and the car drives fine. Wife is going to take it to the Lexus dealer to see what they say.

Any ideas what's causing it? Bad shock?

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: Italian Stallion ]

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
That's a strange thing to pick up on, but I'm guilty of finding strange things myself, so I can't blame you. I'm curious as to what they say.

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
All it is is your springs settling. This is very common with new springs (i.e. new cars). Since most of the weight is generally on the driver's side (unless you ALWAYS drive with 2 people in the car), the springs will settle slightly unevenly. It's normal though.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Originally posted by webguyIS:
All it is is your springs settling. This is very common with new springs (i.e. new cars). Since most of the weight is generally on the driver's side (unless you ALWAYS drive with 2 people in the car), the springs will settle slightly unevenly. It's normal though.

On such a brand new car?? Doesn't seem right....

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
my car is also about 1/4 in. lower on the driver side, and the driver rear wheel seems to have more negative camber (tilted inward more than the passanger side). I'll interested to know if you have the same camber issues on the back like mine. Let's know what the dealer said. My car has over 2500 miles on it and I don't think it is the settling of the springs.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK - will let you know. The service manager did tell my wife he wanted to look at it when she described the situation over the phone. Appointment is next Monday.

Originally posted by Lex300:
my car is also about 1/4 in. lower on the driver side, and the driver rear wheel seems to have more negative camber (tilted inward more than the passanger side). I'll interested to know if you have the same camber issues on the back like mine. Let's know what the dealer said. My car has over 2500 miles on it and I don't think it is the settling of the springs.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Luckily it wasn't an OVERWEIGHT driver. Big boys seem to make cars tilt as well. Just kiddiing.. I'm curious to see wha t the dealer says...

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Originally posted by dude:

On such a brand new car?? Doesn't seem right....
dude that's the whole idea. The springs are BRAND FREAKIN NEW, like so new they've never felt stress outside of their initial quality tests. So when you have a vehicle that's (for the sake of argument) 50%/50% weight left/right, and you add an additional 150-200lbs on the left side, you are increasing the stress on that side so the springs will "learn" to sit at a lower height because the additional weight reduces their ability to "spring back".

This is MOST common on cars with aftermarket suspensions. Luckily my Civic had coil-overs so I could bring the driver's side up 1/2" or so after the springs settled (I noticed the "drop" to one side after about a week).

·
Registered
221 Posts
Originally posted by webguyIS:
dude that's the whole idea. The springs are BRAND FREAKIN NEW, like so new they've never felt stress outside of their initial quality tests. So when you have a vehicle that's (for the sake of argument) 50%/50% weight left/right, and you add an additional 150-200lbs on the left side, you are increasing the stress on that side so the springs will "learn" to sit at a lower height because the additional weight reduces their ability to "spring back".

This is MOST common on cars with aftermarket suspensions. Luckily my Civic had coil-overs so I could bring the driver's side up 1/2" or so after the springs settled (I noticed the "drop" to one side after about a week).

does that mean your 330 tilts too?

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Originally posted by phi:

does that mean your 330 tilts too?
Of course not, it's a BMW.

Actually I haven't measured it, and I haven't noticed it, but it's definitely plausible unless BMW strengthens the driver-side springs (yeah right).

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: the local Lexus dealer examined the car this morning. They measured it and verified that it does, in fact, have a slight lean on the driver's side. Then they measured another new SportCross they had on the lot, and found that it also had a slight lean on the driver's side. So then they measured a new IS300 sedan on the lot .... and sure enough, it also has a slight lean on the driver's side.

They have put a call in to Lexus to see if this is simply a characteristic of the car, and will get back in touch with us.

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
So did you also find the driver side rear wheel has more negative camber (tilt inward)??

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh yeah - forgot to check that for you. (Since it's the wife's car, I don't get to see/drive it too often.
)

I'll take a look at it tonight.

Originally posted by Lex300:
So did you also find the driver side rear wheel has more negative camber (tilt inward)??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
9 Participants
Italian Stallion
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing