Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed an Infinity Basslink on my IS. First, thanks for all the contributors in this forum that make my installation a breeze. My worries now is that the Basslink draw current faster than the battery can be recharged. I put my battery on a charger since I have disconnected it for installation. The voltage drop from around 13.5 to 12.7 after driving it around for 30 minutes to test out the SW. I am not sure if the IS alternator will keep the battery at a constant 12.7 volt or maybe the charging system cannot handle that much current drawn. For your info, I do not have NAV or any accessories that draw much current. We drive the IS everyday for about 40 miles per day. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks

supra
2001 IS300 MS.

·
8,880 Posts
Battery Voltage: ~12.4-12.7 Volts
Alternator Voltage: ~14.5 Volts
(Charging Voltage)

If you turn your car off, you should only read battery voltage.
When the engine is running, alternator voltage should be read. It is the same voltage needed to charge the battery.
If you just turned your car off and have a capacitor installed, it will take a few seconds for the capacitor to discharge. Should you take a reading right away, you will still get above 12.7 Volts in this case.

·
8,803 Posts
this is why i am doing a second batt in the trunk..... 8)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After a few days of checking the battery with a handheld voltmeter when the engine if off. It seems okay. Thanks for all the info.

supra

1 - 4 of 4 Posts