Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there is anyone here who came from BMW to Lexus? Im curious if the dealer treatment is far better than what we BMW owners get. My dealer has been awesome, and Ive gotten spoiled by that royal treatment. Im sure Lexus dealers are even better though.

Justy
99 328i
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,476 Posts
Originally posted by ISsoon:
I was wondering if there is anyone here who came from BMW to Lexus? Im curious if the dealer treatment is far better than what we BMW owners get. My dealer has been awesome, and Ive gotten spoiled by that royal treatment. Im sure Lexus dealers are even better though.

Justy
99 328i
There is simply no comparison to the treatment you get at Lexus. Customer Service/Satisfaction is FIRST RATE. Lexus dealerships are relatively consistant as far as service is concerned. BMW on the otherhand aren't consistant from dealership to dealership. The NAV/OBC went out in my mom's 2000 740iL and it took forever to get the part and my she was given a Dodge Dakota Pickup truck as a loner (through enterprise Rent-a-car)...

Eric...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
I used to own a BMW and found BMW service pretty lousy. I have heard of people who live in other cities that have very good luck with their BMW dealers, but my experience has been lukewarm at best.

My experience has been very good with Lexus so far. Unfortunately, my dealer raised their prices sharply recently so the service is now as expensive as BMW service. This is unfortunate, because my Lexus dealer used to be almost reasonable.

They still treat you well and offer free loaner cars with major services. I also like the free car wash and vacuum, whereas BMW would only wash your car for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A DAKOTA?? What is THAT about? I have had pretty much the whole line up of BMWs as loaner vehicles. When my car's ECU went out and it was shopped for 3 weeks, I had a demo X5! I even had a 740i once, though it was just for a few hours. I dont think I could stand for having a truck, lol.

So what does Lexus usually provide for loaners?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,476 Posts
Originally posted by ISsoon:
A DAKOTA?? What is THAT about? I have had pretty much the whole line up of BMWs as loaner vehicles. When my car's ECU went out and it was shopped for 3 weeks, I had a demo X5! I even had a 740i once, though it was just for a few hours. I dont think I could stand for having a truck, lol.

So what does Lexus usually provide for loaners?
Like I said, BMW dealers aren't as consistant from dealership to dealership. For the most part, a lot of Lexus dealers provide Lexus loner cars. However, when I had my GS400, I took it in for service at Lexus of Rockville and got a Mercury Sable... Let's just say I didn't drive it like a gentleman.

Eric...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
I'm not an ex BMW owner, but M3soon does it count? any way when I brought my IS in to have a spoiler install, I got a GS3 as a loaner. that damn car is to heavy compare to my IS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
I've got a '93 325is and a '01 IS300.
There is no comparison, the Lexus dealers
are a cut above. The key though, is attitude.
The Lexus dealer has a concept of who's the
customer - you, and realizes that you are
important. The BMW dealers (stealer) have
often rightfully gained a reputation as
arrogant and condescending. One BMW dealer
steered me away from one car, to one he
said "you can afford". Get the picture? I
have been to about a dozen BMW dealers, and
there are some "good" salesmen. But their
reputation is supported by many poor examples.

These are businesses, and they don't survive
by letting you keep your money. But, I do
expect to be treated with courtesy, respect,
and appreciation - and that's what I feel Lexus does best. BMW dealers don't make me feel that way, even though I give
them LOTS of money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ABSOLUTELY concur with you; some BMW dealers are pricks. The first few I dealt with in my area were awful. Some treated me like I was just a stupid, broke kid. Some ignored me. Some even tried to steer me away from the 328i to a USED car! Anyway, I finally found a good dealer, and have been very happy since.

Its good to know that I will be treated well when I do finally get my IS.

Justy
99 328i


Originally posted by Albertezza:
I've got a '93 325is and a '01 IS300.
There is no comparison, the Lexus dealers
are a cut above. The key though, is attitude.
The Lexus dealer has a concept of who's the
customer - you, and realizes that you are
important. The BMW dealers (stealer) have
often rightfully gained a reputation as
arrogant and condescending. One BMW dealer
steered me away from one car, to one he
said "you can afford". Get the picture? I
have been to about a dozen BMW dealers, and
there are some "good" salesmen. But their
reputation is supported by many poor examples.

These are businesses, and they don't survive
by letting you keep your money. But, I do
expect to be treated with courtesy, respect,
and appreciation - and that's what I feel Lexus does best. BMW dealers don't make me feel that way, even though I give
them LOTS of money.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
My family currently owns 3 BMWs and the service is absolutely horrible. It is outrageous the type of service and attiude you get from them considering how much people are paying for these cars. We've never owned a Lexus before but from what I've heard from friends and just the way I was treated by Lexus salespeople I am certain it is a lot better than BMW. However, it's going to take more than good service to switch from BMW to Lexus. I'm currently deciding between a 325ci and an IS and leaning towars the IS because of its design and performance capabilities, not service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,250 Posts
i'm a current bmw owner. the dealer i went to(san diego) had rpetty good service, the salesman was great.(doug macey i think) real nice guy, no real pressure until it ccame down to buying the car. even then, it wasn't what i'd call pressure. took 2 hours to buy the car after a test drive and filling out papers. haven't gone in for a service yet but the dealer i will be taking it to(south bay) does wash and vacuum your car with every visit. the lexus dealer i wnet to was also very low pressure, although it was kind of hard to get a salesman(south bay), i guess it was busy that day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I have a 325is...dealer took me to small claims when i bought car for underestimating my trade in pyoff by $140.00. Great start, huh..car is great,,,but quality sucks..needed new dash padding as it came apart, stitching in leather came undone..just got a new transmission at 50k miles..soooooo..i am looking at the is300..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
mosha, what year is your 325is? I just got a '95 325i w/ 49k miles. Love the car, but reliability will determine whether I trade it for a 5 speed IS300 next year. (If my BMW is unreliable, I'm not likely to buy a new BMW.)

Originally posted by mosha58:
I have a 325is...dealer took me to small claims when i bought car for underestimating my trade in pyoff by $140.00. Great start, huh..car is great,,,but quality sucks..needed new dash padding as it came apart, stitching in leather came undone..just got a new transmission at 50k miles..soooooo..i am looking at the is300..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Originally posted by ckolsen:
mosha, what year is your 325is? I just got a '95 325i w/ 49k miles. Love the car, but reliability will determine whether I trade it for a 5 speed IS300 next year. (If my BMW is unreliable, I'm not likely to buy a new BMW.)

Mine is a 95 as well..black with sand leather..whats great, as you know, is the engine and suspension..nothing like it..50/50 weight distribution is key..great exhaust sounds...but the quality of interior materials just plain suck..leather is fraying,dash plastics are fading..i would keep this car for another 5 yrs but i know the costs will just increase to keep it the way i want..lexus has always maintained its value and always looks great..the is interior is plain but it will hold up for a long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
I'm very pleased with the quality of the materials in my 2001 330i. Everything feels rock solid and nothing has come close to breaking yet. True, it hasn't weathered five years yet but it's survived 11,000+ miles, and I also understand the E46 3-series have better quality materials for the interiors than the E36. Meanwhile, pieces are following off of some IS300s already, no?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
Thanks mosha. My interior and leather are in perfect condition actually, though that will change as I own it - like when I got in the car this Sunday covered in mud and soaked from my soccer game in torrential rains.
I agree that exhaust, engine, and sport package suspension are incredible, as are the sport seats. I like the interior, no other car I've looked at has the ****pit feel, including the new 3 series.

Originally posted by mosha58:
Mine is a 95 as well..black with sand leather..whats great, as you know, is the engine and suspension..nothing like it..50/50 weight distribution is key..great exhaust sounds...but the quality of interior materials just plain suck..leather is fraying,dash plastics are fading..i would keep this car for another 5 yrs but i know the costs will just increase to keep it the way i want..lexus has always maintained its value and always looks great..the is interior is plain but it will hold up for a long time.[/B]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,628 Posts
I'm a big time BMW fan (love the M3 and M5). I was seriously thinking about the E46 330i, but when I priced it with all the options it kinda blew me away (a little over $47K).
I once owned a 1992 5 series, and I had mixed feelings about the car. It had too many quality issues and the dealer was reluctant to help. I ended up getting a new transmission at just 42K miles, and so many things went wrong with the car I just got rid of it. But BMW has come a long way since. I beleive the newer models are of much better quality. Aside from electrical issues, I think they've pretty much ironed out most of the flaws.
As far as styling and engineering goes, I think they're almost unbeatable. BMW goes neck to neck with Mercedes Benz, but no other automaker gets even close. That's why I keep hoping that Toyota would buy out BMW - that would only work in their favor.

black/ivory
17"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My 328i has been pretty poor in terms of quality. I have had major electrical troubles since the first year. The only thing that has made me hold on this long, is the understated good looks, and the driving fun. No other car, until the IS came along, has combined enough of those two qualifications AND added reliability to the combo. Im looking forward to joining the Lexus family!


Justy
99 328i

Originally posted by hasanazhar:
I'm a big time BMW fan (love the M3 and M5). I was seriously thinking about the E46 330i, but when I priced it with all the options it kinda blew me away (a little over $47K).
I once owned a 1992 5 series, and I had mixed feelings about the car. It had too many quality issues and the dealer was reluctant to help. I ended up getting a new transmission at just 42K miles, and so many things went wrong with the car I just got rid of it. But BMW has come a long way since. I beleive the newer models are of much better quality. Aside from electrical issues, I think they've pretty much ironed out most of the flaws.
As far as styling and engineering goes, I think they're almost unbeatable. BMW goes neck to neck with Mercedes Benz, but no other automaker gets even close. That's why I keep hoping that Toyota would buy out BMW - that would only work in their favor.

black/ivory
17"
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top