Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys and gals. Do you think there is any chance i cen get out of the ticket i got today.

First off...I'm the dumbass who has to learn the hard way usually. Im not blaming the cop. With that said. Today i got clocked at 97 in a 70. Thank god, he wasnt 1/2 mile earlier or it woulda been 130. I dont condone wreckless speeding, but this was a wide open interstate, and some BMW flew past me at 130 or so. Figured i would speed up and stay with him a bit. Go, figure. Like i said...one moment of retardedness.

My question. Is there anyway i can show up for court and fight this. If the office doesn't show do i get off.??

I know there is noway i can say it wasnt me or another car flew by me at 97 and i was wrongly pulled over. Just want to know if i should try to do anything or just be a man take my lumps, and pat the money.

Any advice?? Dont need any peps callin me stupid either, i already took care of that. Thnx

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I dont know how it goes in FL, but in NY its like this. You show up to court, the judge calls your name and he says the offense. He asks whether you want to plead guilty or innocent. You say innocent, he asks you what happened. He then makes his decision. He usually drops it down to a lower-degree speeding tocket, like 10 over. The officer was not there to claim his case or defend himself. I was hoping I could speak to the cop personally, but whatever. Good luck bro 8)

(Next time get a V1, it will save your ass every time)

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
You should be glad that he pulled you over before you killed a family or yourself jackass. Pay-up and take it like the asshat you are.

Everyone speeds (maybe not 130mph!!) so if you get caught speeding just pay the damn ticket, remember you gotta pay to play!

Mike

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just check on "go to the court" and see what happens.

If you have to go to the court, great it's time to wait for officer to be absent. but most likely officer would come since they make more money off coming the the court. (most of ppl are in traffic because of that)

Or you might just get a letter saying that you can pay less and not to choose to go to the court or go and plead innocent.

Either way you get discount, so plz check on "go to the court" or whatever that says legally.

Even if you think you have no chance, just try. My friend got ticket for 135 on 60. "LOL" he was 17 too. He had to pay 350 but he ended up paying 200 w/o going to the court.

·
Registered
754 Posts
sun5467692 said:
Just check on "go to the court" and see what happens.

If you have to go to the court, great it's time to wait for officer to be absent. but most likely officer would come since they make more money off coming the the court. (most of ppl are in traffic because of that)

Or you might just get a letter saying that you can pay less and not to choose to go to the court or go and plead innocent.

Either way you get discount, so plz check on "go to the court" or whatever that says legally.

Even if you think you have no chance, just try. My friend got ticket for 135 on 60. "LOL" he was 17 too. He had to pay 350 but he ended up paying 200 w/o going to the court.
Your friend is the luckiest bastard alive.. I got 86 in a 50..NY by the way. I did not show up to court 3 times..kept putting it off. I did get a lawyer..
Listen if u go u court and see a Judge he will rape u.. If this is your first violation u may get of with a lesser offense. Keep putting the case off.
As for me my License was suspended at the end of October.. My lawyer posted a $40 bond i dunno what the hell for but he says he'll keep workin on it... I was just to pist to listen at that moment

Moral NY has some of the most idiotic lawyers...

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
you can certainly get it reduced. Plead not guilty, let them plea bargain with you.

www.motorists.org has a great source of traffic attorneys, if you can get a attorney for under 100 bucks I would say go for it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
you can try my way. I once got away from a speeding ticket by scheduling court date near a holiday (Christmas, to be exact). I was betting on the cop having to work overtime either before or after that he might have the day off. Well...he didn't show so I got off.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GraphiteSportDesign said:
I dont know how it goes in FL, but in NY its like this. You show up to court, the judge calls your name and he says the offense. He asks whether you want to plead guilty or innocent. You say innocent, he asks you what happened. He then makes his decision. He usually drops it down to a lower-degree speeding tocket, like 10 over. The officer was not there to claim his case or defend himself. I was hoping I could speak to the cop personally, but whatever. Good luck bro 8)

(Next time get a V1, it will save your ass every time)
I got a V1, I just hate Instant On...sigh

·
Registered
572 Posts
Bucman said:
Ok guys and gals. Do you think there is any chance i cen get out of the ticket i got today.

First off...I'm the dumbass who has to learn the hard way usually. Im not blaming the cop. With that said. Today i got clocked at 97 in a 70. Thank god, he wasnt 1/2 mile earlier or it woulda been 130. I dont condone wreckless speeding, but this was a wide open interstate, and some BMW flew past me at 130 or so. Figured i would speed up and stay with him a bit. Go, figure. Like i said...one moment of retardedness.

My question. Is there anyway i can show up for court and fight this. If the office doesn't show do i get off.??

I know there is noway i can say it wasnt me or another car flew by me at 97 and i was wrongly pulled over. Just want to know if i should try to do anything or just be a man take my lumps, and pat the money.

Any advice?? Dont need any peps callin me stupid either, i already took care of that. Thnx
I've had 2 speeding tickets in the last 6 months both doing 25+ over the limit. I showed up for none of them and got out of ALL of them...

Granted I had to pay the full amounts of the tickets + $100 a piece to my lawyer, but he got them down to "Speedometer Violations" and had 0 points revoked NOR did it get reported to my insurance company...

Well worth the extra $100 lawyer fee (especially with my insurance company in mind)

I suggest finding yourself a traffic lawyer... some of them will do this for as low as $75 / citation.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Bucman said:

im totally against cops but WHAT THE FUCK are you doing driving at 130mph? i dont care if it was a wide open interstate, your tire could've blew out and lost control killing yourself and i hope to god not others...i hate to say this but you dont need any help getting out of this one because YOU are the one that got yourself into some shit. face the consequences and learn from it. DONT DO IT AGAIN.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
speeding bad :shame: pay it and you'll learn a lesson :D don't be like me that took 5 tickets and a crashed IS to stop speeding

·
Registered
824 Posts
Couple questions....first when the cop pulled you over did he ask "do you know why I pulled you over?" and second did you ever throughout talking to him admit that you were speeding at all.... if you did admit it then you are toast. The correct answer the question above is ALWAYS....no I don't officer. If you admit guilt then if you fight the violation your statement to the officer about admitting guilt can be brought in as evidence by the cop during testimony. I am not a lawyer but I am fighting a ticket now and my good friend is also fighting a ticket for 100 mph in a 65 mph. So if you did at anytime admit you were speeding your only hope is a plea bargin (which I went to trial and they never tried to plea bargin with me so that isn't always an option) or hope the cop doesn't show up. If the cop does show up you are done.

If you didn't admit you were speeding (even 1 mph over) then you might have a chance. Was it with laser or radar? I know that in Ohio a laser is not seen by the court as evidence. I can't remember the term for it but if you bring up this motion they must have an expert witness there that can vouch that the exact same laser gun in question was properly calibrated with both speed and distance. If they can't then the laser can't be admitted into evidence and you will get off. Also as stated before always ask to see the laser gun and make sure you ask them how they know it was calibrated for speed AND distance. If you have any other questions just shoot me a PM or post here...good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
that sucks

Yep, getting speeding tickets sucks. Especially when you don't have your leg on the acceleration... :pissed: Got clocked at 95 in 50 on hwy 17 (SF Bay Area) on that straight part near Bear Creek Road. I am quite sure I was not going at that speed since I was just going at natural acceleration after leaving the hills. Now, I'm figuring out what to say in court too.
Should I admit guilt (not the one claimed but that I was driving at 80) if the cop doesn't show up?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did admit guilt, but didnt agree to the speed he clocked me. I dont know how they would prove what i said to him. If he shows up, i figure no chance.

Clocked me with radar. Didnt look at gun. Think Im gonna take youre advice Dela and call a traffic lawyer. Maybe they can enlighten me on my chances. Thnx for all the good advice and the verbal scaldings. LOL.

·
Registered
22 Posts
before you call a lawyer!

write to the court and ask to plea guilty to a lessor charge. Explain that you are time resticted to book a court date and that you want to save the the courts time and money..

I did this for a ticket i received in NY (110 in a 90...state popo)...they sent a reply and gave me a 2 choices.....
1. a 2 pointer (i think it was $85)- and its filled as a parking tkt
2. No pointer (i think it was $50)- they would throw it out if i go for a safety driving course

lucky for me my buddy has a driving school a wrote up a driving certificate for me.....bailed me out big time and saved my as in regards to insurance...

*if they dont accept you plea in writting, than you should consult w/ a lawyer.........

*also go back to check if there were any electric generators near by.....most times these will screw up the radar gun and the judge will disregard the ticket (depending on the type of equipment the pig was using)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts