Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wondering cuz i want a turbo kit for my IS someday and i dont think its legal in cali...

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
no its not legal here

the only carb cert. i know of is the xs-engineering turbo

its not released yet and its not officialy carb cert yet but thats what they want to accomplish

·
Registered
83 Posts
needless to say, it will be a difficult task to get any turbo kit carb legal here. look at the '98 tt supras...they were not legal here in cali and that was from the factory.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is there anyway to lobby XS Engineering via e-mails? The more they hear that people want their product, the more likely they will go for it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The comment about the PLP supercharger is just plain WRONG. I suggest that if you don't know what you're talking about, then either refrain from posting it here, and take it to the PL, or don't post anything at all.

The first place to check for CARB certification is the CARB website, where you can check by manufacturer, or by system.

The next place to check is the manufacturer's website, and if you click on the PLP site, you will find an annotation on the S/C page that their blower is NOT certified for street use, and is legal only for offroad racing, i.e., it isn't certified by CARB.

If you live in California and you put an illegal device on your powertrain, you run the risk of getting totally $crewed when you go in to get the car smog certified.

If you don't live in California, and you don't have the foggiest frigging idea of what you're talking about, please consult the CARB website before you start passing out advice to California owners.

·
Registered
946 Posts
rseifer said:
The comment about the PLP supercharger is just plain WRONG. I suggest that if you don't know what you're talking about, then either refrain from posting it here, and take it to the PL, or don't post anything at all.

The first place to check for CARB certification is the CARB website, where you can check by manufacturer, or by system.

The next place to check is the manufacturer's website, and if you click on the PLP site, you will find an annotation on the S/C page that their blower is NOT certified for street use, and is legal only for offroad racing, i.e., it isn't certified by CARB.

If you live in California and you put an illegal device on your powertrain, you run the risk of getting totally $crewed when you go in to get the car smog certified.

If you don't live in California, and you don't have the foggiest frigging idea of what you're talking about, please consult the CARB website before you start passing out advice to California owners.
The guy said PLP was working on it, dude. Nobody said they were already CARB ceritfied.

And, BTW, one does not need to live in the Republik of Kaliforina, to be able to read and understand the laws there, no matter how weird that state may be.

·
Registered
168 Posts
IST said:
needless to say, it will be a difficult task to get any turbo kit carb legal here. look at the '98 tt supras...they were not legal here in cali and that was from the factory.
actually the 98tt's only had a difficult time passing smog...just like any turbo applications the cat..doesn't heat up as quickly as an N/A vechile, due to using "wasted exhaust energy more efficiently" which would roughly be about 30% loss in a n/a vechile) so if you owned a supra TT or you own one... all you would really do to fix it was to drive around for a while before your smog test to warm the cat. using a turbo kit will make your engine more efficient believe it or not. about 30% of the engines performance/efficiency is loss from exhaust gases. all engines are about 30-40% effcient.. which means adding a turbo would make engines 60-70% efficient..and 10% is lost in the fuel system. and the rest i forget but i'll look it up.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,619 Posts
what most people fair to realize is that to get carb cert it costs money...plus time...the cost of getting cert may outway the cost of the profit of selling the product...carb is only required for those sales to ppl in cali...so basically, if your market is only only 5% california sales (just an example guys), then why even bother getting your product carb certified???

that's what i think most manufacturers think about when the topic of carb cert comes around...

but don't ask me...what do i know??? :crazy:

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
HyperMKIV said:
what most people fair to realize is that to get carb cert it costs money...plus time...the cost of getting cert may outway the cost of the profit of selling the product...carb is only required for those sales to ppl in cali...so basically, if your market is only only 5% california sales (just an example guys), then why even bother getting your product carb certified???

that's what i think most manufacturers think about when the topic of carb cert comes around...

plus the fact that those serious about F/I are going to do it whether it's certified or not...the certification just helps those decided that are sitting on the fence

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,619 Posts
ltunedgirl said:
HyperMKIV said:

plus the fact that those serious about F/I are going to do it whether it's certified or not...the certification just helps those decided that are sitting on the fence
um...yeah...uh huh...sure...whatever you say... :p

as for me...i personally don't care if it's carb cert or not...i've been to the state ref and i know what to do and what not to do and blah blah blah...

and for those who want to ask...DON'T...i'm pleadingf the fifth here...cause i ain't gunna be put up against the wall when it comes down to legalities... :p

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
plus the fact that those serious about F/I are going to do it whether it's certified or not...the certification just helps those decided that are sitting on the fence[/quote]

Amen to that sista..
I want the F/I first, then I'll worry about smogging when the time comes..
do you know how simple it is to pass smog? in San Diego, I've never had a problem with a modified car passing smog.
1. '88 Celica All-Trac, 2.5 piping, No Cats.
2. '89 200sx S-ER, Hot Shot header (prior to CARB), Greddy SP Exhaust, No Cat.
3. Now...well... IS300, No Cats..

By the way, did I mention I'm a dog person?
:lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.