Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys!

I'm looking for advice as I'm stumped.
I just did a head gasket replacement on my Dad's 1999 Toyota Camry 2.2. Everything torqued to spec. Also replaced the timing belt, spark plugs/wires, o rings on the injectors since they were included in the engine gasket kit.

The CEL codes: P0105 and P0106 - Manifold Absolute Pressure Performance

-The car start right away but the RPMs bounce around 500-1000rpms
-A lot of black gunk out of the exhaust
-I removed the spark plugs and the tips were full of black dust/gunk

Things I've checked/done:
-Timing
-Cleaned throttle body
-Checked the injectors to make sure an o ring wasn't pinched
-Spark plug gap
-Swapped MAP sensors with our other Camry
-Checked for vacuum leaks

Thanks for any help or advice I can get

·
Registered
565 Posts
Did you check the voltage to the map from ignition state to start and see if it is changing? Check the wiring/connection to the map. Its sound to be really running rich like perhaps a sensor is off and the O2 readings are going up/down quite aggressively.

Also your TPS is low at 10 percent and the load is at 96.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you check the voltage to the map from ignition state to start and see if it is changing? Check the wiring/connection to the map. Its sound to be really running rich like perhaps a sensor is off and the O2 readings are going up/down quite aggressively.

Also your TPS is low at 10 percent and the load is at 96.
I have not checked the voltage yet but I will tomorrow.

Yeah I also noticed the load and TPS. Seems to be at WOT which made me think of a vacuum leak somewhere. It is running very rich. Maybe the TPS is out of spec and needs adjusting.

Thanks for your input :approve:

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help @isthisme

This is the hose going to the MAP sensor. I missed it on first check since its so small. It was making the car think it was at WOT all the time. Everything good now. :approve:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Happy to help and glad you found the issue. One thing I know for sure, when something isn't working right there is always a reason!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts