Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing my homework trying to figure out which anti sway bars I want. lots of good stuff has been learned from searching, and posts by folks like sacrificial have been invaluable.

here's a questions that's part theory, part applied:

I haven't been fully able to grasp the difference weight distribution has with sway bars. The SportCross has greater weight bias to the rear- so how would that influence the performance of anti sways?

application : for example, it's well reported that the TRD yellows cause some oversteer over stock. would oversteer be greater or less in the SportCross because of the increased rear weight bias? theory: why?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
the heavier rear would actually make the 50/50 weight distrubtion better, since the IS has more weight on the front... so ideally, the sportcross would handle more neutral than the sedan. Application of the TRD sways will still lend itself to oversteer, but not as annonced as the sedan. Plus the sportcross has wider rear tires, so that would help keep the back end more planted.

All in all, I dont think the tires or the extra weight is going to make a difference you will really notice. But since we are talking theory...

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
HoustonLex said:
the heavier rear would actually make the 50/50 weight distrubtion better, since the IS has more weight on the front... so ideally, the sportcross would handle more neutral than the sedan. Application of the TRD sways will still lend itself to oversteer, but not as annonced as the sedan. Plus the sportcross has wider rear tires, so that would help keep the back end more planted.

All in all, I dont think the tires or the extra weight is going to make a difference you will really notice. But since we are talking theory...
However, the increased weight of the Sportcross is located outside the wheelbase of the vehicle (hatch and associated glass) therebye increasing the polar moment of inertia. If that mass weren't hung out on the end like that it would be a slam dunk, but I guess that it would pretty much be a wash handling wise vis-a-vis the sedan.

Too bad sacrificial bailed or he could weigh in with a several thousand word analysis. :wink:

·
Registered
804 Posts
I was told by a TRD gy that with the extra weight of the SportX on the rear, it would be more tail happy than the sedan with the yellows. For this reason, and some others, I recently installed the Ltuneds. They're not extreme, but a definite improvement over stock. This is still with stock springs and shocks. I was a little concerned with going to the yellows due to the big disproportionate difference in front to rear additional stiffness.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts