Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=3146&sid=184&n=157

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

A 227-hp challenge to a decades-old
reputation.
by Bengt Halvorson

For the past decade, while Subaru's U.S.
efforts have been aimed at going for upscale,
outdoorsy folk, the automaker has been
building a solid performance image in other
countries, backed up by its top performance in
World Rally Championship (WRC) races
throughout the 90s. Although Subaru originally
entered rally racing more than ten years ago
with a car based on the Legacy, it wasn't until
the introduction of an Impreza-based car in
1993 that Subaru quickly fought its way to the
head of the pack, bringing down Ford and
other long-running top European rally forces
with three Championship wins.

From the start, the last-generation WRX was a
car very closely related to the actual WRC rally
car. It was known to have near-supercar
performance at a bargain price, and the WRX
gained an especially strong cult following in
the U.K., where high-performance Subarus are
now affectionately termed 'Scoobies,' and also
in Japan. It probably would have found a
similar following in the U.S. as well, but our
regulations' emissions and otherwise kept the
race-bred WRX out of the U.S. market.

Here at last

Finally, after years of harassment by
enthusiasts and automotive journalists,
Subaru has dealt with those issues and is
bringing the new WRX to the U.S. market. The
WRX is the second product, after the 2.5RS
introduction more than two years ago, to help
mold a new performance image for the
automaker. Ultimately, we were told, Subaru
wants to have a two-sided marketing
approach, with practical, outdoorsy,
near-luxury products on one side, and
performance-oriented products on the other
side. Instrumental in this strategy, the WRX is
being rolled out first among much fanfare,
followed by redesigned versions of already
established Impreza models.

Subaru gave us a special
preview drive to experience
the new WRX in Georgia
and Florida, where we spent
two days feeling out the
WRX on highways, back
roads, a race track, and of course, a real rally
course, just to prove that the WRX stands up
to its race-bred heritage. From the ear-to-ear
grins on my face after running a dusty rally
course in the WRX with a professional driver
onboard, yes, it does.

The main obst

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
This car is really not that good looking. How many people here would actually buy it if the IS wasn't around?? I wouldn't.

------------------
White Diamond IS300

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm waiting to see Italian Stallion's list.

Hey Italian Stallion, I'm calling you out.

I must admit, that everytime I see that damn video (that Italian Stallion posted) and look at the WRX specs, and the price, it's starting to look less fugly all the time. I don't know if I could bring myself to actually buy one though (based solely on the looks), but S4 like performance at half the price is appealing.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think that car is Very Ugly!
Just my Opinion.......

I also think that Video of the WRX destroying the IS300 is Staged.......

------------------
JUSTIN & DENISE C. OWNERS OF THE ONE-OF-A-KIND IS300

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't think it is that appealing at all! Espesially after being spoiled with my IS!

1)IS300
2)S4
3)330i

------------------
TC
Spectra/Blue
17" Lexus Chome
01 Nissan Pathfinder

·
Registered
103 Posts
Originally posted by smra:
I also think that Video of the WRX destroying the IS300 is Staged.......

Don't be ridiculous! That little monster is going to embarrass you, me and a whole lot of other cars in the months to come. With rumors afloat that the turbo'd boxer 4 can easily hit 300+ HP with a chip swap and basic bolt-ons, we all are in a world of sh*t. Did I mention that we're talking about factory backed, no hassle mods?

------------------
2001 CL-S "The Original Pimp Daddy Gold™"
a study in pimp daddy gold

[This message has been edited by droideka (edited January 24, 2001).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
I dont really like the headlights but all in all it's nice. I hope they will bring the WRX STi version this thing could kick, kick serious ass. Also i thinks mitsubishi should start planning on getting thos EVO lancer in the US coast or they might call it EVO mirage..

·
Registered
50 Posts
See.. I like the IS.. I think its better looking than the Imprezza, but the video is not staged. I believe the IS used in the video is the Altezza RS Edition which is the 2 Liter 200 horsepower 6 speed model. Its nice, but if its the Imprezza WRX Japanese spec then its twin turbo 280 horsepower..Thats why it beat the ALtezza.Remember, most videos that are in Japan are cars not the same spec as in America. I think half the cars here have different engines in Japan so you cant go on the specs here and expect it to be the same in Japan.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I like that car!!! If I have the money, or if the price is right. I may buy one of it too... I heard that yellow WRX is only going to be available in the frist few months. You guys that think it look ugly should really check out those mag. from japan!!! The car look awesome!!!

------------------
Solar Yellow 2K1 IS300
BBS RK 18"
Tein HA
TRD's Grill
My Car!

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Japanese spec WRX is 247 hp, not 280.
Also, to get 300hp out of that engine, you'll need a front mounted intercooler, which means replacing the front bumper at the least, not bolt on stuff. The STi version will not likely pass US Gestapo emissions, since just the WRX takes 3 cats to do it. But we'll get more power in th efuture.

Originally posted by Timothy Coln:
See.. I like the IS.. I think its better looking than the Imprezza, but the video is not staged. I believe the IS used in the video is the Altezza RS Edition which is the 2 Liter 200 horsepower 6 speed model. Its nice, but if its the Imprezza WRX Japanese spec then its twin turbo 280 horsepower..Thats why it beat the ALtezza.Remember, most videos that are in Japan are cars not the same spec as in America. I think half the cars here have different engines in Japan so you cant go on the specs here and expect it to be the same in Japan.

·
Registered
403 Posts
My top choice right now is the WRX (may change after I actually get the doggone things).

If I do end up getting the Rex, I'd be glad to call all of the IS owners "out" - but nobody in their right mind would show up.

Originally posted by MrEee:

I'm waiting to see Italian Stallion's list.

Hey Italian Stallion, I'm calling you out.

I must admit, that everytime I see that damn video (that Italian Stallion posted) and look at the WRX specs, and the price, it's starting to look less fugly all the time. I don't know if I could bring myself to actually buy one though (based solely on the looks), but S4 like performance at half the price is appealing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by ckolsen:
Japanese spec WRX is 247 hp, not 280.
Also, to get 300hp out of that engine, you'll need a front mounted intercooler, which means replacing the front bumper at the least, not bolt on stuff....

Dont' really need front mount intercooler to get 300HP. In fact, when SCC tried a front mount intercooler w/ 2.5RS, it did not work well at all. The new 2.5RS project still has top mount intercooler and pushing close to 300hp.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
That true? Didn't know about the 2.5 RS project. Maybe I should say that the European and Japanese versions from STi and others use a front-mounted intercooler for better cooling, but maybe it's not necessary.
Emissions is the real hurdle for a 300 hp WRX in the US.
Originally posted by BE9:
Dont' really need front mount intercooler to get 300HP. In fact, when SCC tried a front mount intercooler w/ 2.5RS, it did not work well at all. The new 2.5RS project still has top mount intercooler and pushing close to 300hp.

·
Registered
57 Posts
ckolsen - NONE of the Subaru or STI WRX's have a front mount intercooler. The only one that does is the real rally car. Not even the 22B had a front mount I/C and it was rated at 280hp but realistically was well over 300hp.

Also guys, the car honestly looks much better in person, so much better. Many companies already have headlights or eyebrows in the works too.

I was planning on buying a manual IS this summer, but after seeing the WRX, I'll save a few hundred $ a month and have a car that is much more rewarding to drive. Remember, the main purpose of a car is to drive it, not look at it. The IS is much better looking, but if you're gonna spend 34-35k, why not get an S4 and blow everyones doors off?

·
11,061 Posts
February's Car and Driver magazine has an article on the WRX too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts