Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks to the following people, for providing their experiences and information, without them and the .net, I would be using the lowly tape adapter for my Ipod and the FM Transmitter for my XM.

Thanks to: CSDSTUDIO, Lisnup65, SophieSleeps, Drinkmalk, vlad a, and MNSpectraBlueIS

I read all the FAQs (mainly this one - http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=220767&highlight=aux+relay), and originally decided to go the PIE route, but had second thoughts and went the relay route, as I felt it fit my situation better. (Mainly I'm cheap, and I didn't like the idea of jerry-rigging the PIE switcher to fit our needs for the Aux-In)

The following parts used were:

1) 4PDT Relay

2) 14-Pin Relay Socket

**I used the relay screw socket to make it easier than working on those little pins and in case a relay blows, I can just pop in a new one.**

3) 2 female RCA jacks from Radio Shack

4) Pro-Fit VSM Mount

5) 3.5MM to RCA jack cable

6) SPST Switch (to control power to the relay)

7) Power Socket from Radio Shack (to hard-wire the power)

Dis-assembly:

1) Pop lint tray out with screwdriver

2) Unscrew dash tray - 2 Philips head screws

3) Pull dash tray out and up to remove from dash

4) Pull out switch tray from below radio

5) Tape up sides of dash to prevent nicks from radio as you remove it

6) Unscrew two 10mm bolts from the top or radio and below radio

7) Unplug AC harnesses, radio harness, and antennas from behind radio and remove

8) Pop console up with a screwdriver behind the chrome trim and remove, need to unhook cigarette harness, ashtray light, cigarette ring light

Relay Install:

1) Ignore AC harness and grab radio harness

2) Cut back the black casing and look for shielded white casing with green stripe

3) Separate and cut white, red, green, black (Brown if you have a 2001)

**Make sure where you cut the wires that you leave space for the relay socket to fit behind the radio and harness connector when you reinstall the radio. I almost made my HU side of the wires too short and the relay was bumping up against the back of the radio when I reconnected the harness**

4) Attach W,R,G,B to 1-4 on relay socket, this is your HU signal

5) Attach W,R,G,B to 9-12 on relay socket, this is your output to the amp

6) Attach 2 RCA females to 5-8, this is your Aux Input

**Order of wires doesn't matter as long as they correspond (L+, L-, R+, R-)**

7) Pin 13 and 14 are for ground and power (either one works for either)

8) I attached 13 to the switch ( I will later hook-up the switch to the pink (positive) wire on the cigarette lighter, but I did it in conjunction with the power hard-wire, so I will get to it later)

9) I attached 14 to ground using one of the "bronze" screws under the console, directly below where the ashtray would be

10) Push in relay into socket

Hard-wire Power Install:

1) Used the "bronze" ground screw directly under where the ashtray would be for the ground on the power socket

2) I soldered the positive lead of the accessory socket to the positive connector (pink wire) of the cigarette lighter.

I had to remove the plastic clear case around the connector, but after soldering the accessory power socket wire and the power wire for the relay via the switch, I slide the plastic case back on the connector for a nice snug professional fit. I also did it this way, because I didn't have to cut the stock positive cigarette lighter wire.

I plugged in the power cord from the RoadyXT and tucked it up in the dash.

Assembly:

1) connect one 3.5mm to RCA Jack to the female RCA Aux-In jacks

2) Route Power and 3.5MM wire out dash tray area

3) Line up Pro-Fit Mount with top right radio screw hole

4) Reinstall radio, dash tray, lint cover, console cover, and switch holder

5) Mount XM to Pro-Fit Mount, and hook up power, line out, and antenna

6) Flip the Aux-In switch and enjoy!

Night Shot!

My daughter enjoying the tunes via the Aux-In Mod!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nice!

nice job +rep :)

I am about to do the aux in mod in a few days, I'm just currently deciding how to do it with 2 aux inputs.

How's it sound with that relay? and also did you get it from radio shack as well?

Thanks man :)

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bro!

Sound is great, full musical range, no static, thumps, buzzes, or hums.

I got it from www.allelectronics.com. If you mouse over the parts list, it is hot-linked right to the product.

I do want to mention the following:

1) My Ipod sound level is great, no quite equal to the radio/CD, but not far off, little to no volume correction need.

2) My RoadyXT is a little lower than I expected, the XT built-in FM Transmitter is a lot louder by comparison.

At first I thought I did something wrong or I needed to ground the neg inputs on the XT, but I was reading on another forum, that the line out on RoadyXT sucks (supposedly due to its small size), and has a very low output.

I'm either considering getting the SkiFi2 instead or the PIE line driver.

Not sure which yet though.

I am leaning towards the PIE line driver, anybody have any good/bad luck with this?

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, but I really just compiled what all the aforementioned names did already, they deserve the credit.

If I lost anybody, breezed over something, or spoke incorrectly let me know, and I will make amendments.

Thanks again for the rep!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks, good to know :)

Yeah most XM units I've seen have low line out volumes, I had a skifi 2, and now a myfi, both have had very low line out volumes.

How did you hook up ipod and XM? you mentioned having done both so I dont know.
My plan was to do cascaded relays, with a switch that supplies power either off, or on to two different posts.
So the first relay when on would be for radio, when off would be for either aux in. Second relay on would be ipod, off xm. This way when you supply power to top post you get radio, no power gives you xm, and bottom post gives you ipod.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
great write-up and pictures! As someone new here who was a little confuse by previous aux-in posts, this is a godsend. thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yino said:
Thanks, good to know :)

Yeah most XM units I've seen have low line out volumes, I had a skifi 2, and now a myfi, both have had very low line out volumes.
Good to know, I was worried I did something wrong, but the Ipod sound is fine, so I knew it was something with the XM receiver. I guess the Line Driver from PIE is the answer, albeit a $40 answer.

Yino said:
How did you hook up ipod and XM? you mentioned having done both so I dont know.
For the signal part, I used RCA-Y adapters so the Aux-In side has 4 RCA jacks instead of two. Then used two 3.5MM to RCA cables, one to the XM, one to the Ipod.

This works fine as long as both source's 3.5MM jack isn't plugged in, otherwise the signal is reduced.

I routed the other 3.5MM to RCA jack (for the Ipod) along side the bottom edge of the console. I have the 3.5MM jack in the area under the armrest, as that is where I keep my Ipod. I left it long enough so I can put my Ipod on top of the cup holder, when I'm using it. I have the iSkin silicone sleeve, so it doesn't slide around.

Normally I leave the Ipod unplugged, and if a situation arises to use the Ipod, I plug in its 3.5MM jack and unplug the XM line out jack, and I'm in business.

Yino said:
My plan was to do cascaded relays, with a switch that supplies power either off, or on to two different posts.
So the first relay when on would be for radio, when off would be for either aux in. Second relay on would be ipod, off xm. This way when you supply power to top post you get radio, no power gives you xm, and bottom post gives you ipod.
I only used the relay to switch the sound signal, the power for the XM is unswitched or always on, or in my case when the cigerette lighter has power.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Reactions: Squareback

·
Registered
61 Posts
Excellent write up! What would I need to change if I only want to hook up my iPod as I will not be getting satellite radio. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
publikohn said:
What would I need to change if I only want to hook up my iPod as I will not be getting satellite radio. Thanks!
Nothing really.

Once you have installed your RCA jacks to the relay (to feed the signal into the stock system), you can hook up any equipment you want to, be it an Ipod, Sat Radio, DVD, PS2,.....

You can omit the hard-wire power install if you want, or you could hard-wire your Ipod car charger.

You can omit the Pro-Fit mount, unless you want your Ipod there, they make a mount specifically for the Ipod.

Thanks for the rep everybody!

It is pretty easy to do, although I was a little nervous when I put the wire cutters to the harness at first!

Once you hear that sound come out, it is sweet, and well worth it.

If I can find time, I will crack open my console and add more pictures of the hard-wire power install. My pics are a little slim in that area, although it is pretty straightforward.

Reactions: James_F

·
Registered
61 Posts
Squareback said:
Nothing really.

Once you have installed your RCA jacks to the relay (to feed the signal into the stock system), you can hook up any equipment you want to, be it an Ipod, Sat Radio, DVD, PS2,.....

You can omit the hard-wire power install if you want, or you could hard-wire your Ipod car charger.

You can omit the Pro-Fit mount, unless you want your Ipod there, they make a mount specifically for the Ipod.

Thanks for the rep everybody!

It is pretty easy to do, although I was a little nervous when I put the wire cutters to the harness at first!

Once you hear that sound come out, it is sweet, and well worth it.

If I can find time, I will crack open my console and add more pictures of the hard-wire power install. My pics are a little slim in that area, although it is pretty straightforward.
If you could add more pics that would be great. If you have any of the iPod hook up that would be very helpful. A picture definitely says a thousand words! Where did you pick up the items you didn't "hot-link" i.e. 3.5mm to RCA jack, SPST Switch, etc..

Thanks again for your help. I hope to have this same type setup soon. + rep!!!!!!!!

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
awesome job.
Great pics.
DEF a great contribution to the forum.

1 - 20 of 266 Posts