Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theres threads all around on everyone who has purchased a short THROW shifter i can understand that. I see there are only about 3 companies which offer it at most.

Iam looking to get rid of the BIG RIG style shifter and shorten the shifter itself. Which in all will make it a shorter throw.

Yes ive searched.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I have the Ralco short shifter. It's nice. Much more precise shifting and it is more of a shorter throw. There is a whining noise in third and fifth gear though. B&M's are discontinued I believe so you won't be able to find a new one. I hear there are a bunch on ebay.

There are a bunch of threads on this topic. Try searchin for 'B&M', 'PLP', and 'ralco' under the thread titles.

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
Theres threads all around on everyone who has purchased a short THROW shifter i can understand that. I see there are only about 3 companies which offer it at most.

Iam looking to get rid of the BIG RIG style shifter and shorten the shifter itself. Which in all will make it a shorter throw.

Yes ive searched.
as in cut the shifter down? to like 2/3 of the original size instead of just putting in a short shifter?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
and there is an ARK short shifter too, buy that one and tell us about it cause no one has it.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
the uber expensive C's short shifter

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive searched and read the threads regarding the shifters out there. Yet like i said iam looking to get rid of the 5ft. Shifter and get it down. AS in SHORT SHIFTER not just a short throw outcome. So yes to make it about 2/3 the hight.

Iam willing to pay out if its worth it. And the other shifters are not designed right that is why you have a noise in those gears.

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
Its not that they aren't designed right... its just the short shifters carry the noise better than stock. we threw some dynamat on the shifter and had no problems since then. these things wouldn't sell if they weren't designed right

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Ive searched and read the threads regarding the shifters out there. Yet like i said iam looking to get rid of the 5ft. Shifter and get it down. AS in SHORT SHIFTER not just a short throw outcome. So yes to make it about 2/3 the hight.

Iam willing to pay out if its worth it. And the other shifters are not designed right that is why you have a noise in those gears.
5ft. ? I dont think the stock is really that bad. Try driving a 24 footer penske. That's a real truck. I learned to drive stick on my grampas old chevy 450 custom were really spoiled now days compared to the ild transmisions they had having to rev match each gear or it wouldnt go in. The lexis shifter is pretty nice for a stock car. I went out an bought a new b&m on google 200 but b&m is pretty good I did research an b&m in general is a excellent company.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So iam coming to the conclusion that there are not on the market? Iam not looking for the Shorter throw. Just a shorter stance. :(

·
Registered
590 Posts
Not sure where or what you searched, but this has been discussed at length many times.
You're looking for the discontinued, but easy to find, PLP Generation II shifter.
I have one and love it.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Yeah and also people have shortened there shifters too. Go to Isfanatics, I know someone over there did it. I think there name is Ghost something or other. Also I don't think your searching very hard/well. Plus the many of the short throw shifter are also shorter than oem. When don't you buy an auto and cut the shaft down to an inch and put the shift know back on it. Plus its an auto so you don't even need to touch it...

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure where or what you searched, but this has been discussed at length many times.
You're looking for the discontinued, but easy to find, PLP Generation II shifter.
I have one and love it.
I have and it all comes down the same direction i guess this thread is leading. Theres nothing on the market as of now which would fulfill the request that iam making. The Shift Knob that was out there is discontinued and its a ebay search or waiting game for someone to sell there used one. So i have searched if your to prove me wrong more power to you my friend.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
The B&M short shifter is shorter than OEM by a sig. amount also the PLP gen II is also both are great I like B&M's name but if you can find a used PLP Id hop on it.

Both shorten the length an throw.

Reactions: PhillyB

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
The PLP GEN I and II, I hear is shorter in height for apprearance but, has the same amount of throw as stock in some ways....the B&M and Ralco is about 3/4 shorter than the stock shifter BUT, the throws are significantly shorter. I got the chance to get a feel for the PLP GEN II and compared it to my Ralco and was def surprised that mines had a more precise shift and shorter throw. Even the owner of the PLP GEN II said it was wayyyyy of a shorter throw compared to his. Just thought that I'd share..just my .02

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
appreciate it guys. Ill be looking for a B&M.. +rep.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just installed my PLP gII ss so im looking thru the threads to see what everyone thinks about the different options. I like mine. easy install.
The shifter is significantly shorter as well as the throw. Very precise and easier to get into gear if you ask me. The only thing is the whine when Im in gear and the rpm's get above 2500-3k.
I dont know what the best thing to do to eliminate it would be. Shift knob may be a good idea, I do like the one about the dynamat for sound insulation.

·
Registered
882 Posts
get the ralco it is very high quality unit.
i agree, but couldn't stand the billet shift knob that came with it especially on hot days. So i went with the leather TRD ball shift knob.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i cant believe im the first to bring up the PHR. powerhouse racing SS. It will definitely give you the shortest in height shifter. some 3" less than stock. 2nd best for height is PLP II which is some 2" shorter. I am one of the buyers for the PHR but I don't have it yet. they being finished up in production. wait maybe 2 weeks and you will probably be able to find a review.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Hey all,
I just got an '02 with manual trans. When I first test drove it I did notice the throws were a little long and the shifter was tall. I decided the first thing that needs to happen is to find a nice short throw shifter. I want the height shortened too, but I don't want some little click sticking out that I have to bump to shift. A little shorter in height, and shorter throws. B&M?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts