Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you don't know whether to laugh or cry. As a disclaimer, this is what convinced me to prevent my girlfriend from getting a ML320 and me from EVER getting a benz... From what i understand about the industry, mercedes is thrusting more of their weight into electronic gadgets instead of steadfast qaulity and service. check it out...
www.mercedesproblems.com

select a common model or uncommon. Just explore the whole site...its CrAzy for the amount of cash these people outlay. Enjoy your Lexus reliability peeps!!!!!! And look for those S-class mercedes stranded on the side of the freeway. I've seen 3 late model ones in the past few months....:p

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
hmm.. my father has an S500 and it works really well. I think that's the most reliable mercedes I've been in. However, it does have problem with electronics window. sometimes it wont' roll up.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Originally posted by chromaplast:
hmm.. my father has an S500 and it works really well. I think that's the most reliable mercedes I've been in. However, it does have problem with electronics window. sometimes it wont' roll up.

That does count as part of the reliability game, you know.....

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here's a tasty tidbit you can annoy your benz friends with....

" E320 Year: 1998 VIN: NA
Problem: Purchased new car with CD player from Beverly Hills Ltd. Returned to service dept less than 24 hours later because CD player did not work. Service advisor at same dealership refused to fix or replace CD player because " It is not a Mercedes CD player, and is not covered by your Mercedes Warranty.

Problem Resolved:Yes

Resolution: Dealer replaced defective third party CD player with the Mercedes CD player I had purchased, only after I threatened to sue them for fraud. I contacted Mercedes Benz of North America who essentially told me that there was nothing they could do. I was shocked to hear that they have no control over the ethical conduct of their dealers! I've dealt with Lexus of Santa Monica And Beverly Hills Lexus for 5 years, and they never tried to cheat me. An eye-opening experience, to say the least. Any similar experiences?

Owner: Peter Mayer
email address: [email protected]"

eh eh eh!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Originally posted by RotaryBzzz:
here's a tasty tidbit you can annoy your benz friends with....

" E320 Year: 1998 VIN: NA
Problem: Purchased new car with CD player from Beverly Hills Ltd. Returned to service dept less than 24 hours later because CD player did not work. Service advisor at same dealership refused to fix or replace CD player because " It is not a Mercedes CD player, and is not covered by your Mercedes Warranty.

Problem Resolved:Yes

Resolution: Dealer replaced defective third party CD player with the Mercedes CD player I had purchased, only after I threatened to sue them for fraud. I contacted Mercedes Benz of North America who essentially told me that there was nothing they could do. I was shocked to hear that they have no control over the ethical conduct of their dealers! I've dealt with Lexus of Santa Monica And Beverly Hills Lexus for 5 years, and they never tried to cheat me. An eye-opening experience, to say the least. Any similar experiences?

Owner: Peter Mayer
email address: [email protected]"

eh eh eh!
did i just see someone saying Lexus is more superior than benz??

OMG

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
want more???? Here's another -more juicy- tidbit from mbzproblems. I guess i should change my status to Trouble-maker eh??:

E320 Year: 1997 VIN: N/A

Problem: Keyless entry and locking system malfunctions: doesn't unlock, or re-locks by itself, trunk doesn't pop open. Heating and A/C problems: no heat or cold air unless temp settings adjusted to "HI". No air flow in vents below seats. Erratic idle, occasional surging of engine. Radio - poor reception (Bay Area), CD player doesn't reset when starting car. Says "CD NONE" even though it was just playing. Instrument cluster display failure (on our 4th cluster). Rear seatbelts lock the passenger in full restraint even though car is not moving. Windshield wiper washers don't squirt.

Problem Resolved: No

Resolution: We have exceeded our California requirement of 30 days out of service and also the more than four times to repair the problem and you guessed it... MBZ says the car shouldn't be replaced or bought back. Even after the Mercedes Special Tech experienced the problems. They don't seem to care about their customers. We are on our 4th instrument cluster. We'll see how it goes. We are on our 2nd or 3rd heater/ac system, still doesn't operate right, on our second radio - still poor reception, the locking system has been worked on several times - still faults. The idle problem? "No codes are stored"..."we don't know what's wrong with it", still occurs. In all fairness, they haven't been given a chance to fix the seatbelts or windshield wiper washers. We parked our $50,000 car and won't drive it. My 33 year old Mustang always gives heat and A/C when asked to. I would appreciate all others with similar problems to email me with their experiences and what remedies they have had.

Owner: BC email address: [email protected]

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
ALL car companies have problems, even Lexuses you guys!! I dunno, this just might be a bad sampling of cars but I'm sure if a site opened up dedicated to Lexus' problems, I'm sure they'd have just as many responses people...No car company is perfect. And YES, I do understand that lexus was rated #1 or something in the defective cars/100. But STILL, they have problems too. Lexus is not some all-powerful invincible company.

And yes, I'm sure Acura has some defective cars too, just like you guys. sheesh.

mercedes bashing? smra, JEALOUS? heh heh j/p you guys

I have an ML320 Rotary, not that bad of a car. I'd take it any day over the raised Camr--*ahem*--RX300.

------------------
Silver 2K1 3.2CL-S. NOT JEALOUS OF YOUR IS300 heh heh heh...decent car though!! (the IS)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the list goes on and on.....
you'll see things about blown transmission at 20k miles, failing head gaskets at 25k/50k/75k miles....the lack of customer care or appreciation. Very interesting reading. Do i sound like a lexus dealer now??? No offense to Mr. Clam and other BMW owners out there but i think there is a similar BMW site out there somewhere. Btw, Mr. clam you might want to protect your M3's valves doing a couple things. I was reading abOut an easy way to blow an M3 motor from downshifting incorrectly when running hard. Let me know if you'd like to know about that....As ANOTHER disclaimer, I dig on bmw's and m3's. At least that's one company whose never strayed from the motorsports path....isn't cadillac trying to build an image now by sponsering an indy car er sumptin' now - eeewww....

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Me adding something to a list of MB problems as well. We have a C230 Kompressor bought about 1 1/2 ago. The car currently has around 25000 miles. It had gone through 2 fuel gauges already (all before 20K), and had a loose exhaust pipe connection. It was making a very bad noise when driving, good thing is that they fixed it free. And the brake pad needed to be replaced already (I agree my brother drive more aggresively, but he never had these problems with his Celica). Total service cost so far $500+.
Our decision: Never to buy a MB again. Oh BTW, their dealer sucks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
daniel...these problems are EXACTLY duplicated in other owners car's in mbzproblems...other peoples c230 have had the same problems....interesting eh>>>??
You might be right....about mb

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
really? We are in the process of deciding whether or not to sell the C230 and let my brother drive the GS300. We really don't want to pay for another $300 to $500 service again, and that is coming up probably sometime early next year. We can service any of the Lexus we have almost twice with the amount my brother paid for the last service. I had hope that MB is better than BMW, now maybe they are not

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes, if you go to the bottom of the page and scroll down the list of cars, you'll find c230's listed. Click on it and look thru the model years 94-00. Its pretty depressing....
Selling or trading in the C230 on some kind of japanese car might be an idea. The residuals should be really good on that car...at least that's what i remember from my days as an acura dealer. Funny story: we had an trade-in mercedes (94 c-class?)we sold on our used lot. The owner hated it though becuase we (the dealership) had to dump in 5-600 dollars in fixing it at OUR COST (our mechanics, our wholesale parts prices) after we sold it per our warranty. It was all electronic related. I think after a certain point, the owner/manager refused to fix anymore. It was costing US too much money. So watch out for those STARMARK cars with low miles. It might mean something BAD!. Anyway, re: the bmw's, my impression is that the m3's have few electrical problems. My info is from about 97-98 so i can say the 325s/328 weren't too great in terms of electronics. Go idea: check www.deja.com and do a power search for "bmw problems" and limit the date to about 1998 on. Remember that problems ususally don't start showing up till a year or two in though....

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
yeah i'd like to know more about protecting my valves but really all ican honestly do is be careful of my shifts right?

Originally posted by RotaryBzzz:
the list goes on and on.....
you'll see things about blown transmission at 20k miles, failing head gaskets at 25k/50k/75k miles....the lack of customer care or appreciation. Very interesting reading. Do i sound like a lexus dealer now??? No offense to Mr. Clam and other BMW owners out there but i think there is a similar BMW site out there somewhere. Btw, Mr. clam you might want to protect your M3's valves doing a couple things. I was reading abOut an easy way to blow an M3 motor from downshifting incorrectly when running hard. Let me know if you'd like to know about that....As ANOTHER disclaimer, I dig on bmw's and m3's. At least that's one company whose never strayed from the motorsports path....isn't cadillac trying to build an image now by sponsering an indy car er sumptin' now - eeewww....

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i dunno abut the rest of the bimmer owners but my M has been good to me for all of a month so far =)

on the other hand the 190E blows fuses every damn day....had to replace the instrument cluster fuse at like 9pm when i coujldn't see crap.....i can't drive without my tach =)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
this is incomplete b/k its like 1am and i'm waaaaay procrastinating writing up some reports so here goes. I got it off the net looking for "m3 problems".

"Blowing up engine by missing a downshift.

This happens a lot and it happens to very good drivers (like John Buffum during One Lap of America a few years ago). There is some problem with the drivetrain that causes people to miss shifts under certain conditions, mostly on racetracks. I don't think that any of these are being covered any more. On my car, I took the
following precautionary measures:

Replace the motor mounts and transmission mounts with the motorsport DTM racing type
mounts, which are much firmer. These can be purchased though the motor mounts are very
expensive.

Replace the shifter with a "short shifter" with much less free play in it. This seems to increase the precision of the shifting action. "

there are a couple other things you can do but this sums it in a nutshell. Bascially, you downshift from 5 into 4th and you actually go into 2nd even though you popped the gear into the 4th slot. Pretty scarey huh? Especially at 120 mph. BOOM! Adios amigos. New 7k engine replace here i come...

Anyway, i seriously need to turn off this damn computer and get back to work!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
As much as I like Mercedes it is their service attitude and price that mostly keeps me from buying one. Here's a couple stories within the last month.
My girlfriend's spoiler was ripped off her 2000 C230 Kompressor/Sport SE and the dealership told her it would be 33 days before she could bring it in for service and replacement.
My father's business associate recently purchased an S500 and it already needed an electrical fix within two months. They told him it would take one month to fix and gave him an economy car to drive. He (sold) his virtually brand new S to Lexus and takes delivery on a new LS430 around Xmas. The Merc dealership refused to correct this situation with a better rental and quicker service.
Bottom line: you better damn sure fall in love with a Benz or BMW b/c you won't get any favors after you buy it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts