Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
NEW PROBLEM.. read the bold

Anyways... I was just curious..

I have the mazzuri system, srt intake, hks hi power, and o2 sim installed for awhile now.. It feels to me like the car is slow now!! It has been running good when everything was first installed.. but now it seems like its just.. not up to par. Am I running rich? lean? I have no clue how to tell.. I have no SAFC or emanage to tune it so im guessing that is the problem.. When I reset my ecu it feels like its much better, but maybe it is in my head.. but then it starts to slow down again. I know modding equires a tune but I have no money to get a management yet.. is it possible to tune the stock ecu somewhere? <--noob

If anyone want pics of my setup jsut let me know[=

Chris

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ok wtf! My headers melted some wire in my car.. it looks like its a ground but can anyone tell me for sure? What should i do? I tried moving the wire around but its short and i still cant get away from my headers.. I thought maybe put a little heatshield over it.. but what do you guys think? What is it and what should i do..

Also my engine oil is burning like mad.. I had to dump quarts in there every now and then.. i know its because of my headers.. but will getting a management fix that? grr so many poblems lately..

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
You wont be able to tune it with the srt r-ecu installed and as far as everything you got on you may be running to lean. If you can smell a lot of fuel then you are running too rich. The thing I don't like about the O2 sim is that it fools the ecu thinking that the car is running optimal when it really isn't. Your air fuel mixture is probably off and you probably idle not as smooth. I would probably ditch the srt intake for a joe z intake or k&n fipk and get a real ecu management system to tune for optimal performance.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My idle is the very same like it was stock. Its not rough.... only thing is that in park my idle is around 900 and in drive its like below 500.. is that what would happen? I also heard you can get a SAFC and tune it with the srt?

My car smells gassy, but its because i have no cats.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
At WOT, i do not believe any compensation exists. Meaning that it uses its map, but doesn't rely on the sensors to adjust the A/F just using the stock rich fuel map.

Has the weather or fuel changed in your area? Is this consistent over weeks or just a day or so? Are you getting used to the modifications?

Is it at WOT or partial throttle you think that this is occurring?

·
13,727 Posts
Couldnt it be a defective R-Ecu? Ive read posts here where they go bad and you have to ship them back to SRT.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
At WOT, i do not believe any compensation exists. Meaning that it uses its map, but doesn't rely on the sensors to adjust the A/F just using the stock rich fuel map.

Has the weather or fuel changed in your area? Is this consistent over weeks or just a day or so? Are you getting used to the modifications?

Is it at WOT or partial throttle you think that this is occurring?
Yeah there are WOT compensations in the IS300 ECU. If the SRT intake manipulations creates LTFTs it will affect wot in the long run.
On a couple of SRT intake cars, I have seen ltft's around 10-12%, on some less and some more.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Chris - your asessment is correct. Like kponti said, the ecu re-learn after a while and the car starts running like stock again. I've had this intake for years and i always had to reset the ecu every now and then to keep that "kick in the pants" feel. Since I added the EMU, it's no longer a problem. I can drive easy for days to stretch out the MPG, but when I punch it, it's there.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the great info guys..maybe i feel like its more noticeable because im getting used to the power.. but i definitely believe i lost some power once it re-learns.. but when ecu resets it feels great. Should i spend the extra cash and get emanage? Should I run that with the srt intake and take out the r-ecu? Or should I go get me a joez..

EDIT: Summer weather is kicking in again... hot air maybe?

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
You wont be able to tune it with the srt r-ecu installed and as far as everything you got on you may be running to lean. If you can smell a lot of fuel then you are running too rich. The thing I don't like about the O2 sim is that it fools the ecu thinking that the car is running optimal when it really isn't. Your air fuel mixture is probably off and you probably idle not as smooth. I would probably ditch the srt intake for a joe z intake or k&n fipk and get a real ecu management system to tune for optimal performance.
The only thing the o2sim does is fool the ecu in to thinking the cats are still there, it has nothing to do with telling the ecu how to tune the engine.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Um sorry daniel but no. The O2 is a input to the cpu telling it how the car the running. The upsteam o2 senses the air fuel mixture and the down stream 02 senses the air after the cats. The o2 sensor needs to be at 600f for the cpu to recognize it. The o2 sensor its part of the open to close loop start up for the car and Does Play a Part in the Air Fuel Mixture. The PROM chip in the cpu has the vehicle specifics and drivetrain and will recognize the difference in the headers because of the air flow. If you fool the ecu into thinking that the car is running at optimal conditions it will operate base on normal settings. As you drive back and forth everywhere it will be constantly adjusting itself to optimal settings that are compared to your gas mileage, performance and stock set up. The o2 sim is just a way to bypass the MAL light (check engine) you would need a management system for a optimal tune. What I'm wondering is how the car reacts to the O2 sim at WOT when the car goes back into open loop and starts spitting out more fuel. Ive had headers before and have got the same symptoms everyone else has with the un-smooth idle issues, low end torque and feeling that the car is actually losing power. Of course some of these issues can be contributed to a leak, to bad gasket or seal in the exhaust manifold. Ive went over this in LAB at school and ran tests on o2 sensors and what they do if you are wondering where I got my info. I did ask my teacher about it who is ASE certified in smog and is a master technician just to be sure. What I can say is I like the mazzuri headers for their ultra flow design, but just can't use this here in this city because of the cops. If it was me I would get a joe-z intake, mazzuri headers and a AAFC. Thats just me.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Um sorry daniel but no. The O2 is a input to the cpu telling it how the car the running. The upsteam o2 senses the air fuel mixture and the down stream 02 senses the air after the cats. The o2 sensor needs to be at 600f for the cpu to recognize it. The o2 sensor its part of the open to close loop start up for the car and Does Play a Part in the Air Fuel Mixture. The PROM chip in the cpu has the vehicle specifics and drivetrain and will recognize the difference in the headers because of the air flow. If you fool the ecu into thinking that the car is running at optimal conditions it will operate base on normal settings. As you drive back and forth everywhere it will be constantly adjusting itself to optimal settings that are compared to your gas mileage, performance and stock set up. The o2 sim is just a way to bypass the MAL light (check engine) you would need a management system for a optimal tune. What I'm wondering is how the car reacts to the O2 sim at WOT when the car goes back into open loop and starts spitting out more fuel. Ive had headers before and have got the same symptoms everyone else has with the un-smooth idle issues, low end torque and feeling that the car is actually losing power. Of course some of these issues can be contributed to a leak, to bad gasket or seal in the exhaust manifold. Ive went over this in LAB at school and ran tests on o2 sensors and what they do if you are wondering where I got my info. I did ask my teacher about it who is ASE certified in smog and is a master technician just to be sure. What I can say is I like the mazzuri headers for their ultra flow design, but just can't use this here in this city because of the cops. If it was me I would get a joe-z intake, mazzuri headers and a AAFC. Thats just me.
Uuuummm destron that isn't so. The upstream sensor does what you said, the downstream one monitors the air and lets the computer know that the cats are working.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Uuuummm destron that isn't so. The upstream sensor does what you said, the downstream one monitors the air and lets the computer know that the cats are working.
I know, the downstream lets the ecu see if the car has proper emissions in accordance with OBD2. Daniel was saying that it a o2 sendor has nothing to do with telling the engine how to tune and the upstream does.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
I know, the downstream lets the ecu see if the car has proper emissions in accordance with OBD2. Daniel was saying that it a o2 sendor has nothing to do with telling the engine how to tune and the upstream does.
and he is correct, both B1S2 and B2S2 only let the ecu know if the catalytic converters are functioning properly... the B1S1 and B2S1 are the sensors that relay a/f into to the ecu for "tuning" purposes.

the o2 sims should only be wired into the bank2 sensors

rep to kponti and daniel when i can :approve:

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ill be looking for a SAFC or an ULTIMATE and try to tuen the srt intake.. i jsut love the look abnd sound of it... but if i somehow come across a good deal for a joe z and management ill jump on that.. i hear joe z are out of the intakes?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im looking at the emange blue or safcii for a n/a setup right now.. which one would be the better option with more features? I know ultimate is best but i dont have the money right now.. I did some research but not so knowledged in managements

Chris
will +rep

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
just wait, save up and go w/the ultimate :approve:

trust me, it was well worth the wait ;)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hm... how about i sell everythign and save up for daniels kit since im 20 minutes away from him.. haha damn.. what to do

1 - 20 of 40 Posts