Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first and probably last post here, but I had to talk about it with some people that would understand. I bought my ‘02 Manual 3 years ago. LSD, all black leather, it was the car I planned to keep forever, completely stock until I got out of California and had a little more freedom to build it legally. It survived LA traffic, San Diego, Dallas, even rush hour in Atlanta. A month and a half ago, I drove it across the country to my new house in North Carolina, it was perfect. No rust, the stock Bose system still kicked 17 years later. Then I drive it to my family’s place in Virginia, a 3 hour drive from my house in Raleigh. I’m about 5 minutes away when someone runs a red light, hitting two other cars and then my baby. The damage wasn’t too severe. The worst of it was about an inch of metal taken out of the front bumper support. Insurance totaled it. Another manual bites the dust. Thank you for attending my Ted Talk.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It doesn't have to end. You can get it fixed up and make it run again. Or sell to someone else who will happily buy it to fix it up. These cars are still in demand, especially manual transmission ones.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Seeing too many being written off the road. As long as there's no frame damage you replace the bumper support beam.

I had to do it to one of my cars a few years ago, and it's been running as a daily since.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Buy it back and fix it!

Salvage titles are so common amongst these cars (especially manuals) that it doesn't seem to effect their value much.

As you know, it's a good, solid car. Buy it back, fix the odds and ends, and drive it another 5+ years. You'll be money ahead compared to replacing it with a f"n Sonata or other milquetoast modern car...

·
Registered
69 Posts
yea buy it back from the insurance. Even if you sell it as is you will make decent money if the damage isnt terrible. Post up a pic becuase I live in VA and have a car trailer!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve been considering buying it back, but being in a new place without a proper garage and whatnot, I won’t be able to do the work myself in a timely manner. Plus I haven’t gotten the damage report (the yard that did it mysteriously didn’t have it), so I don’t even know if the frame is actually bent or not. Take a look boys, this is what a “totaled” is300 looks like /facepalm. If I don’t buy it back though, it’s be great if another local enthusiast picked it up and fixed her up, I could live with that I suppose

Attachments

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Looks fixable. I would have the frame looked at. If okay, I would tell insurance you want it and not to file it as totaled. That way you can get it fixed without it needing to be inspected and no salvage title.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not sure about North Carolina, but in VA they don't issue salvage titles if the car is over a certain age (might be 20 years old, but could be ten or 15). When my old MBZ got totaled by the insurance co for a small dent in the quarter panel, I bought it back for around $200. Sold it to my buddy for $500 who later sold it for $900. Clean title each time. Not sure what the carfax would say beyond the accident, but the title itself was clean.

If you can find somebody here to buy it, I'm sure you could come up with a deal to make both parties happy.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Not that bad, Mine was like that but on the passenger side. Very inexpensive to fix especially if you can source some parts from a high mileage auto is300

1 - 14 of 14 Posts