Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Well I think the fact that the BMW roadsters are all built in South Carolina is possibly one factor as to why their initial quality may not be up to that of the cars built in Munich and Dinglofin Germany. Another example is the Mercedes Benz M-class (Also built here) which is doing poorly as far as reliablity is concerned.
Eric....

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Give me ANY new car and I can guarantee you I can destroy the engine within one day....

Point is: It could've happened to any car....so happens that it happened on the IS....Pure chance.....

Originally posted by Young:
For every lemon there are many many satisfied owners, like myself. Just as there are here. At least one IS300 owner here destroyed his engine (or his sister destroyed his engine) on the first day of ownership! I haven't heard about THAT happening to a BMW fresh from a dealer!

[This message has been edited by dude (edited September 23, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Who says that the IS300 engine was destroyed???

They guy was super worried because it hit redline during break in, and then he freaked out because it wouldn't start for him once
(he probably didn't have it in park or something).

Anyways, last I heard the car was running just fine when he tried it again later.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sorry, I may have misread something if that's indeed the case. However, a new car that won't start on day 2 is a problem. As for whether it was driver error or a serious engine problem...I guess only time will tell.

As for it being easy to destroy an engine...it shouldn't be easy to destroy only by over-revving it a few times while not in gear. If it is truly easy, there's something wrong with the engine.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
young, are you crazy ? if you over rev the engine once, even if its not in gear, way past where its supposed to be(i dont' know if the law of physics allows it) you will blow that engine

·
Registered
92 Posts
my '99 GS300 wouldn't start during the second week of ownership, i had the car jumped and after that it was fine. Later on the ABS would kick in when it really wasn't necessary. I was moving at idle speed in a parking lot, and i come to an intersection where i have to yield, the ABS went crazy, as if i were screeching to a halt from sixty. It was a little wet out but the ABS should know better. These shouldn't happen to a Lexus. Whatever happened to the "Relentless Pursuit of Perfection"?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Originally posted by mrclam:
young, are you crazy ? if you over rev the engine once, even if its not in gear, way past where its supposed to be(i dont' know if the law of physics allows it) you will blow that engine
I'm not sure how high she revved it, but you'd think there would be a rev limiter if it were easy to do this. This is an _automatic_ after all. By the way, there was a short production run of M3s several years ago that had a somewhat similar problem. Over-revving (the _manual_ transmission car) could cause serious problems. BMW acknowledged the defect and corrected it.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
That M3 problem was something like the valves wouldn't close fast enough when the engine was revving too high, which would cause them to collide with the pistons. Bent valves aren't fun, just ask any Celica GT-S owner who has experienced the infamous 6th to 2nd misshift.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Originally posted by mrclam:
Can you say "Rev-Limiter" Yes the IS300 has one. And NO It won't Blow the engine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My car is fine... Teg, let me ask you a question... If your brand new car didn't start the day after you got it wouldn't you be a little crazy? That's what I thought...

PS: My car was in park.

·
Registered
342 Posts
OMG! JW, I did the EXACT thing you just mentioned on a test drive of a 2000 Celica GT-S. I was loaned one for a weekend so that I could compare it to my Eclipse before I bought it. I was out on the interstate racing some fool in a Prelude when I shifted (accidentally, mind you :eek
from 5th to 2nd, going about 80 or more. That poor car sounded TERRIBLE when I took it back in the middle of the night and left it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
11 Participants
IIIseries
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing