Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Well today is terrible day for me, I totaled my IS. I was involved in a 6 car accident, me being the one who hit all. My car is crushed from every angle and the airbags never went off. I dont get it.

Heres the case....

I was on my way to work this morning leaving my house around 6:30am, stopped at Dunkin Donuts picked up my large coffee with milk and one suger... off to the lovely Garden State Parkway. I'm traveling at approximatly 65-68 going with the flow of traffic (you cant go any faster) in the middle lane. I'm crusing along and BIG gray van began to merge into my lane so I cut the wheel the slightly left to avoid collision and then back slightly to the right to avoid any collision in the left lane and WHAAAM the rear end of my car swung, fishtailing towards the right side of the parkway into 6 cars on an exit ramp. Luckily no one was injured nor did I hit any moving cars. How, I dont know but I have a guy upstairs who was looking out for me. Thank him, GOD.

I'm still shaking from the accident and dont know what to think except, how come my airbags never released. The car was hit on impact from almost ever angle due to spinning out of control. HMMMMMM

Somedays you just end up eating SH*T.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Dude, Totally sorry to hear about your accident. If totaled, I hope you get a brand new IS! Thank God, you're OK. Material things can be replaced.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cardinal-I have to give it to you; I always enjoy reading you posts. I am starting to feel the aches of the accident so I am going to go get checked out for proactive purposes. Even though the airbags didn’t release the impact of the car was absolutely incredible and to think I walked out with minor blood and bruises caused from broken glass and bouncing around, I would purchase this car for twice the amount of money for the stability and safety factor of the car. As I think about it I can not believe how the car felt as I was getting banged up.

It’s not the 215hp, LSD, Graphite 17", etc. anymore; it's how safe the car is. IMO

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your loss. I just totaled my '98 Toyota 4Runner and all I can say is that it really Sucks! I was at a stop and was re-ended by a Freightliner truck which pushed me into the car in front of me and that car into another car. The airbags did go off, something I do not ever want to experience again. No broken bones or anything but I am suffering the normal neck and back problems, still after a month.

Just make sure you get full replacement value for the IS, and since finding an old one for sale is impossible it shouldn't cost you too much to get another one.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hey, i feel your pain. You have made a good point about the safety factor and it is not about the look of the car.......... well okay for me it is.

1 question what made the rear end tail spin?

------------------
Yellow IS300 w/LSD and graphite polished rims

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
That's a Tough break, I'm very sorry... did you have a direct frontal impact, cause if so the air bags should have deployed...
Eric....

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by Swift Racing Technologies:
Sorry to hear about your loss, but glad you are OK.

On another note do you think you could get the torque converter off from your wrecked car? I am in need of a core unit. Thanks you could e-mail me direct.
LOL! Kinda like stealing the watch off a corpse

[This message has been edited by cardinal_creek (edited October 12, 2000).]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss, but glad you are OK.

On another note do you think you could get the torque converter off from your wrecked car? I am in need of a core unit. Thanks you could e-mail me direct.

Kinda rude if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
Damn, its a sad day when a piece of art is destroyed. Glad to hear you are ok though. howd you get the bak to spin out? trac off?
so basically its your fault? (since you hit the other cars)?

Vultures!!!!!!! Shoo! Shoo! how messed up are the rims? i'll take em off your hand if they arent too messed up, steering wheel? rear armrest? floor mats? stereo/speakers? i might be interested if you are getting a new IS and have no use for parts that would otherwised be wasted
i think Chiem might want your cupholder divider...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your kind words-

Well, I think I am OK health wise, the only thing broken is my heart.

I don’t understand how my rear end went, my trac was on (I never turn it off) and I wasn’t going fast. Maybe the response of the steering is so great that I over cut the wheel on the way back. My airbags still a mystery. My car had direct impact on 3 points of the vehicle...

Directly on driver side (side airbag)

Front driver side crushing the hood (driver airbag)

Rear trunk was pushed into the backseat (maybe the ski thing should have gone off)

In addition, both driver side windows rear passenger window, and rear window all completely blew out.

As for people who want parts, sure I have no problem giving them away to people who deserve them, Cardinal, Eric, Teg, Tony, Don, etc.; people who have given me knowledge and a laugh. Anything but the rims. Email me [email protected]

Cheim- the cupholder is all yours
People in AZ, one lucky person can have the shifter knob.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That blows!! Good thing you were able to walk away from it. As said before, your car is easily replaced. Accidents suck...and being in one is the worst experience. Good luck with your insurance company.

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
That sucks big time...glad to hear you didn't get injured...don't sweat the wipe out that is what insurance is for...

As far as Swift goes...think of it like an Organ Donor...your sacrifice will benefit many IS owners.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Man that had to suck. I'm glad to here your alright. I once T-boned a Range Rover @ 55 mph in my 93 Plymouth Laser (eclipse). That hurt. Be prepared to be REAL sore for a few days. It takes a while to kick in.

Anyway, It's great that you suffered no serious injuries. Glad to here your alright. One thing about your IS. I don't think that the Insurance Co. will let you "cannabalize" it. You don't get to keep the wrecked car. BUT, practically speaking, you could probably get some minor stuff (cup-holder and stuff like that).

ISFAN could definitely advise better because he's in the industry (and field of claims).

Good luck! you seem to have a great attitude about your situation,

J

------------------
Perception IS Reality

[This message has been edited by Almost There (edited October 12, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Ugh!!! I hate reading posts like this.

So sorry for your loss.

=================================

The main airbags go off if the front end crushes beyond a certain point. A "spin" collision (rather than head on) might explain that. Still - it sounds like your side airbags should have gone off. I wonder if you could have severed the battery cable and lost power before the sensors were activated?

Swift Racing: shame on you for asking about the torque converter before he even offered to give out parts. It _WAS_ in bad taste. Many people who have just had an accident don't want to think about the condition or disposition of the wrecked car for a while.

Now - assuming that you have comprehensive collision insurance (do you?) I would think that the insurance company would call it a "total", and give you money, but they would take the wreck away... So - I wonder if you will actually have access to any of the parts to be able to give them away?

If it does turn out that you end up disposing of the remaining parts yourself, then I would be interested if you have anything intact to offer. I would pay to have major drivetrain components (engine, trans, differential) shipped back to me if they are intact. If it turns out that it is just little items that you pull off then I wouldn't mind having the plastic intake runner that goes between the engine and the air filter box. Anyways - don't let us "vultures" push you into feeling obliged to do anything... And make sure to check with your insurance company before you pull anything off the wreck.

Again - sorry to hear about this. I am sure that it sucks big time. I hope you are physically OK.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I thought the airbag system is available for a brief time even without battery power...something to do with capacitors and such. I think they keep a charge long enough to sense an accident and explode the airbags as necessary. Something I remember reading about when airbags were first develop. Not a definite answer, though.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Waiting,

I am truely sorry to hear this. It sucks. good think you are all right.

Some house cleaning issues first off.

You state that a big grey van cut you off. Do you have any information on the grey van. This is crucial. I am not sure how the Joint and several liablity laws work in your state, but this is an avenue that really needs to be persued. Discuss this with your insurance adjuster. By the way, who are you insured with? Just curious if it is the company I work for. We have alot of policies in NJ.

On the issue of the total. If the company totals your veh. it is highly unlikely you will be able to keep the car. They will pay you the ACV for your vehicle and sell the car for salvage. I am not sure you really want to keep the car for parts. In most states you would only get a non rebuildable title and you would have to pay the insurance company the salvage value, which really does not do you any good.

I hope all is o.k. Let me know what happens. I have contacts up that area if you need help or info.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Maybe the airbags never went off because of the fact that you were spinnning out. I thought that airbags should only go off in a severe frontal (or side impact for side bags) collision. If it goes off on a not so hard collision then it may do more harm than good. And cars these days are designed to look like crap after an accident. The crumple zones make the car appear to be cheaply made when it is designed as a saftey feature. Just some ideas, not concrete. Well, glad to hear that you are okay. I guess we have some real life proof that the IS300 is a safe car...Thank God. Peace.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts