1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
225/45/17 is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
I think the 225/45 are too wide for the 7in wide wheels.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
linner420 said:
nah they fit fine and look ok....thats my setup i have for my blizzkas for the winter

They actually bulge out a bid. Why would you wanna go wider for snows? Should go narrower for better snow traction.

·
Registered
236 Posts
how much of an odometer error would it be to run 225/45/17 tires on our OE wheels? and fyi, 235 is out of spec for 7.0 inch wheels. i'm guessing almost a 3% spedometer error?

what's the typical upgraded tire size for our OE wheels. 215s are a little too wimpy for me. maybe 225/40/17?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Width of tires does not affect or create any odometer error. It is the profile, 45 or 40 or 35, that would affect the odometer reading. So the middle number in the tire size specification is the one that would make a difference.

With a 17" rim on our cars, 45 is the correct profile, and any other size will create error in speed readings. As far as width goes, 225 is the widest you should consider only if you want more traction with the stock wheels. For Winter tires, 205 is the way to go.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Eminence said:
They actually bulge out a bid. Why would you wanna go wider for snows? Should go narrower for better snow traction.
i bought them used off a .net member who had the sportcross, i got 225 in the rear an 215 in the front......

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
i got 225/45 in the front and 245/40 in the rear on stockos for about 7 months. people say that the rim will eat up sidewall, but so far no problems what so ever i went to kern river and san diego back and forth and so far no problems

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Know that stuffing too much tire on a narrow rim will not really buy you anymore traction. This is because the tire will be more rounded in profile where it meets the road and the full tread will not contact the ground. Also, there is the chance of the tire coming off the rim with very high lateral loads. 225/45/17 is the best fitment for the stock wheel.

·
Registered
236 Posts
jovica said:
Width of tires does not affect or create any odometer error. It is the profile, 45 or 40 or 35, that would affect the odometer reading. So the middle number in the tire size specification is the one that would make a difference.

With a 17" rim on our cars, 45 is the correct profile, and any other size will create error in speed readings. As far as width goes, 225 is the widest you should consider only if you want more traction with the stock wheels. For Winter tires, 205 is the way to go.

Good luck
width DOES create odometer error. this is a fact. 225/45/17 VS 235/45/17 will be a difference, it's not just the profile.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It does??? Never heard that before... how's that physically possible??? Profile of tire affects the outer diameter of the wheel, which is a main factor when measuring speed from a spinning wheel. What factor does the width of a tire affect?? Width of rear wheels absolutely cannot affect any odometer error. It's impossible. I'm not sure about front as more width would make a difference when turning... ?? Please let me know what I'm missing here if you think I'm wrong.

Thanks

·
Registered
536 Posts
jovica said:
It does??? Never heard that before... how's that physically possible??? Profile of tire affects the outer diameter of the wheel, which is a main factor when measuring speed from a spinning wheel. What factor does the width of a tire affect?? Width of rear wheels absolutely cannot affect any odometer error. It's impossible. I'm not sure about front as more width would make a difference when turning... ?? Please let me know what I'm missing here if you think I'm wrong.

Thanks
"Profile" (40, 45, 50, etc.) is the percentage of the width. 225/45-17 means: the section width is 225mm, the section heigth is 45% of 225mm, rim diameter is 17 inch.

So a 225/45-17 tire is 10mm wider AND 9mm taller (diameter) than a 215/45-17 even though the profile (45%) and rim diameter are the same.

·
Registered
236 Posts
ISteve said:
"Profile" (40, 45, 50, etc.) is the percentage of the width. 225/45-17 means: the section width is 225mm, the section heigth is 45% of 225mm, rim diameter is 17 inch.

So a 225/45-17 tire is 10mm wider AND 9mm taller (diameter) than a 215/45-17 even though the profile (45%) and rim diameter are the same.
thank you and great way to put it. there you have it, so watch out for running tires are look cool on stock wheels but mess up your odometer reading. don't just go for width just because it looks nice and wide on the IS300. honestly, 235/40/17 is way more than enough to run on stocks. i'd go for 225/40/17 with is still in spec for 7.0 in wheels and probably less than 3% odometer error.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts