Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there -

I was wondering if anyone here knows a lot about our headlights, and can explain what the different parts are and what they look like.

For instance, I know we have HID Ballasts, but where are they? Are they the black boxes on the bottom of the headlight housings?

Also, where is the HID leveling controller and what does it look like. Same for the HID leveling motors. Where are they?

Thanks a lot for the help.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes the Hid blalasts are inside the black box looking enclosures on the bottom of each headlight. Simply unscrew the black plastic piece and they they are(metal boxes). But I don't recommend taking them apart. The auto-leveling motors are the black cylinders on the back of the headlight. You can find how to remove them by using the search I don't know how to do it. If you're thinking you need to remove them to do anything that deals with putting you headlights in the oven I know for sure that you don't.I have had my healights in the oven several times with the motors on them and they work fine still. I did however remove the HID ballasts. As far as HID level controller I have no idea what that is. Do you mean sensor?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't there an auto-leveling computer or something that controls the headlights? I know the sensor is in the rear wheelwell (I've had to fix it myself after lowering the car), but doesn't that sensor relay the info to a computer? Or does the ECU take care of that?

Thanks for you help, though. :) So the ballasts are under the black panels on the bottom of the headlight. The motors are the one-inch tall cylinders on the back of each headlight. The HID harnesses are pretty self-explanatory. What is the HID Igniter?

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
The acutal computer, "controller" for the headlight leveling is under the dash to the left of the steering column.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
The HID igniter gives an extra voltage boost to start the HID arc. Not sure if second generation HID's have a separate one.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bartkat said:
The HID igniter gives an extra voltage boost to start the HID arc. Not sure if second generation HID's have a separate one.
So the igniter is probably integrated into the ballast then?

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Probably.

There's a black box marked "igniter" on the left front shock tower, but I think it's for ignition. Might be wrong.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info :)

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
The ballast is the metal box inside the headlight...containted in the black case at the bottom of the light. The igniter and ballast are the same unit.

The leveling motor is the cylindrical piece that is attached to the back of the headlight. There is a wire with a white clip running behind it (power to the ballast)

The leveling sensors are in the Left rear and front rear wheel wells. you have to have 2 sensors to tell if you're level. Not just one.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SophieSleeps said:
The leveling sensors are in the Left rear and front rear wheel wells. you have to have 2 sensors to tell if you're level. Not just one.
The left rear and front rear? :wink: :lol: j/k Thanks a lot for the help!

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
it was early.
left front and left rear ******.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
The ballast is the metal flat piece w/ the electronics on the bottom of the headlight.... just take the headlight off and unscrew the bottom... becareful of getting moisture in ur headlight... the ballast has exposed electronics that water can protrude. The Auto-Leveler is the cylindrical thing on the back of the headlight.. its just a mechanical thing that screws the posts in and out to move the housing... dont get anything stuck between the housing and the outter housing... it'll cause a light in the dash.

Oh if you messed anything up.... carson toyota can sell you the headlights for a good price. I've gotten plenty of headlights from there. I've opened these suckers up so many times... i dont recommend it though... They suck!

·
Premium Member
4,786 Posts
okwiater said:
bartkat said:
So the igniter is probably integrated into the ballast then?
The igniters for D2R and D2S bulbs are built into the base of the bulb.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts