Lexus IS Forum banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
djlutchi said:
das....great analysis. So in summary, would you say that one who wants more TQ in the 2-4K RPM range be better with............

an axle back, stock Y & stock headers, tuned

OR

an axle back, aftermarket y & stock headers, tuned??

lemme try and dig out a dyno graph for you... remind me if I forget. =P

·
Registered
68 Posts
_DAG_ said:
Dude i think it's been said before that the hiflow cats wont make a big dif.
Sorry, guess what I was going for is to see if the torque and hp curve falls somewhere in the middle of the two (stock Y vs Y w/out cat)

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
grassh0pper said:
Sorry, guess what I was going for is to see if the torque and hp curve falls somewhere in the middle of the two (stock Y vs Y w/out cat)
5 RWHP is soo little on the grand scheme of things that even if the hi flow were to fall in between, guess what? it won't matter at all!!!

With 5 RWHP more b/n cars, one will NOT necessarily be faster than the other assuming equal drivers. Not to mention that back to back dyno runs can yield more than 5RWHP difference on the same dyno, same car within 5 mins!!!

But the problem is the offroad Y-pipe has the same peak and matches the stock unit by a good 700+rpm up top. The slight advantage in the midrange is not 5rwhp throughout...probably more like an average of 2-3rwhp advantage in the 1500RPM that it is higher.

·
Registered
23 Posts
all of this techno-bickering is hilarious if you think about it, how long are you really under 4000 rpms if im on the gas it is going to be turning some rpms so it is a no brainer which set up to go with.

·
Dual Citizen
2,449 Posts
I'm starting to realize/see for myself why the boosted IS's say that NA mods are pointless and a waste of money.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
T i h o r said:
I'm starting to realize/see for myself why the boosted IS's say that NA mods are pointless and a waste of money.

Why is that? And why post it in this thread? :suspiciou

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I wanna see is what an aftermarket Ypipe + stock exhuast vs. stock exhuast and then compare to setup 1 and 2.

B.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
BlackSportD said:
I wanna see is what an aftermarket Ypipe + stock exhuast vs. stock exhuast and then compare to setup 1 and 2.

B.
wha? You mean just comparing bone stock to having a ypipe?

·
Dual Citizen
2,449 Posts
dasgalloway said:
Why is that? And why post it in this thread? :suspiciou
lol, what I meant by that was I was looking at all the various NA mods, and how much they would run installed. You could invest a few more grand and get a S1 kit from TE and easily gain over 100hp. I just don't see any NA mods making those numbers with that amount of money.

Don't get my wrong das, your write ups are great. I myself am all NA mods as you know and I actually just +repped you before my last post. All I'm saying is that I'm starting to see why a lot of the people that are boosted regret doing all those NA mods.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
T i h o r said:
lol, what I meant by that was I was looking at all the various NA mods, and how much they would run installed. You could invest a few more grand and get a S1 kit from TE and easily gain over 100hp. I just don't see any NA mods making those numbers with that amount of money.

Don't get my wrong das, your write ups are great. I myself am all NA mods as you know and I actually just +repped you before my last post. All I'm saying is that I'm starting to see why a lot of the people that are boosted regret doing all those NA mods.

Eh, it's not because NA mods are worthless, it's because they don't do the RIGHT mods which will allow them to build up to boost one day. What you buy should never be throw-away just because you go boost...

·
Registered
496 Posts
T i h o r said:
--> I kinda understand what your saying, but I think there's a lot of value in these mods. Especially in a car like the IS that has so much potential (with it's restricted exhaust). I see guys coming in to the dealership and plopping down $1000 to get the TRD dual exhuast for their Tundra's. -Just because it looks and sounds good. It only adds like 3 or 4 HP, but they don't care. I think even the boosted guys see the importance of exhaust modification to add even more power.

--> Das, great info. If you posted 0-60 numbers when you finish the 250HP IS300 write-up, I really think it would make more people realize the value of of intake, exhaust and other mods. I myself will probably never have enough disposable income to blow 5,000 to 10,000 bucks on a turbo set-up. But just about anyone can afford these n/a mods and notice a real difference. Your information on these mods are like gold to me. I think 240 to 265 HP on an IS300 would be perfect. I see a lot of 4cyl cars with turbo's that barely reach 250. Take a new Scion TC, add a TRD supercharger and what do you get...a bill for $3200 for a supercharger and a brochure that tells you you only gained 40 Horsepower! Congratulations, your car will never get you laid like a Lexus, have less power and even less respect. All for about the same price. Thank-you, and have a nice day. (BTW Scion doesn't allow you to roll the supercharger in with your financing when you buy the car. you gotta pay for it seperately out of your own pocket! A lot of people waited a year to buy a TC to get the supercharger option that TRD took their sweet @$$ time making, and then where told they couldn't have it in their payment. Sucks.) I almost bought a TC, but then we had a perfect Yellow IS300 appear on the lot with factory LSD... Its mine now!

Now I'm just waiting to the Header Shoot Out results!

Das, a 0-60 on a 250HP IS300 would really hit the spot :) YOU RULE!

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
dasgalloway said:
wha? You mean just comparing bone stock to having a ypipe?
Yup, stock headers, aftermarket ypipe, stock Bpipe, stock muffler or axle back.

After reading about the TL setup, and other exhuast facts from books and other forums, I'm starting to feel that exhuast tuning is much more dynamic than most people give credit here.

The turbulance, or lack of, ECU settings, the volicity changes, scavenging and what not.

Just curious what a Ypipe does all by itself.

B.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Very informative Das, great job!~ :)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Very good information; however I would like to see results using a SAFC or an AEM FI/C. I think that a more free flowing exhaust that is tuned will pull out more than a stock exhaust that is tuned.

I believe this because with a stock tune your timing is matched to the stock parts for optimal performance and you start throwing that off with aftermarket parts.

·
Premium Member
9,782 Posts
We need more numbers....................grrrr

·
Registered
135 Posts
I got a black safc2 sitting in cabinet collecting dust... Thinking of installing it but haven't seen really any real numbers or don't know any tune shops around here in WA for it.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts