Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we all hate MBs and BMWs. But when you are spending >$40,000 CDN (or $30,000), might as well see what the competition is doing. No harm in comparison shopping.

Here's the link

From the picture, it looks like extra turn signals are incorporated in the side mirror housings just like a S-Class. I didn't know the outgoing C class starts at $38,000 CDN though, that's $2,000 cheaper than the IS300 starting price. I know when you add up all the options you want, it can be real expensive. But since a 6 speed manual is standard, maybe all you need is to add the sports package.

[This message has been edited by SteveB (edited May 27, 2000).]

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I don't know about Canada, but in the U.S. the new C-Class will only have the 6-speed manual only with the 2.6L V6 (~170hp). The IS300 will still outperform it.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Actually, the IS 300 automatic will beat the C 320 to 60 and top end. Granted, the C 320 has the IS in the luxury, solidity and class segment. However, by the time you add options to match you will spend at least 7K more.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, probably even with the sports package on the MB, the IS300 will still out handled and performed the C Class.
Depending on how much performance and options you need, some people may not be as fanatic as we do.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Well the C-class is geared more towards Luxury anyways and probably will be sold to a different buyer (probably older). Even though there are some IS300 buyers that will cosider the C-class, I think the majority may not be interested. Plus it will cost a lot more money... The C-class to me looks like a Mini-Sclass. Analogous to Dr. Evil's "Mini Me"......:)
Eric......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you sure the IS300 is faster? While MBZ lists a 7.8 second time for 0 to 100 km/hr, Edmunds shows that the E320 with a 5 speed automatic does 0-60 in 7.2 seconds. The new C-class is about 5% lighter than the E320, so it should be a few ticks faster.

We won't know until the details of the US C320 become clear.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
http://www.mercedes.com/e/cars/c-class/t_data6.htm

Well, according to Mercedes they list the C 320 at 7.8 (0-100). We all know that Mercededs is conservative with their performance listings but perhaps they will not allow this car to outperform the E class.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Brad you say...."We all know that Mercededs is conservative with their performance listings but perhaps they will not allow this car to outperform the E class.".... But the IS300 will outperform the GS300..
Eric.....

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Agreed. But I think that Mercedes has more repeat customers at this point (Lexus has only been here for 11 years) and Mercedes does not want to upset repeat E customers when they find out the "econo C" will outrun their E. This has almost always been the case with the exception of the 2.3 16v, 2.5 16v, c36, c43 etc. I also feel that Lexus bets that other Lexus owners won't give the IS much consideration on any level. Just my thoughts and based on no facts other than observations.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I think the C320 had better be faster than Eclass and faster than 7.8 sec to 100kph which is tranlated to about 7.5-7.6 sec to 60mph or the IS300 and 330i will leave the C320 behind.... I'll bet the C320 won't be cheap either....But then again, maybe the older C class buyer is less interested in perfomance and more interested in the status symbol that the 3 pointed star poses...
Eric....

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
The only reason this car would not perform better is due to Mercedes holding performance down deliberately. But, regardless of the performance there just isn't a more solid feeling car and nothing reeks quality like a Mercedes. No, there not as reliable as others in recent years but when they work, damn nothing comes close.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
jeez, they're not there

1 - 13 of 13 Posts