Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm still in the planning stages of my system, but I'm trying to figure out my amp situation. I'm not getting into the brand details, but I've wanted to do a DIY front stage consisting of 7" woofers and some nice home audio tweets in my kicks, these are going to be actively crossed over so I can adjust everything to my personal tastes.

The only problem is that these drivers I'm using are 8 ohm, and I would like to power them at LEAST 75-100 watts per driver. So I need 4 8 ohm channels driven at this power level.

I really don't care about the brand of amp as long as it is clean and puts out rated power. I'm kind of on a budget with this also. Can anyone recommend a quality budget amp? It would need to be rated at least 150-200 watts x 2 to make the power I need at 8 ohms.

I would need two to power my front stage.......

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
So you're saying two 7" woofers per channel? Or is this going to be 4 channels in the front alone? I would say just run two 8ohms woofers in parallel and then you will have a 4ohm final load per channel. That would leave the amplifier selection open to whatever you would like.

75-100watts RMS @ 8ohms would be a lot, especially on a budget. You'd have to get two amps that are 250x2 RMS (or thereabouts).

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it's just 2 7" woofers and 2 tweets, just a DIY 2-way setup. If I wire parrallel, I'll lose stereo, so no go on that.

and yea, I relaize it's a tough setup on a budget, should only be 150-200 watts a channel if they are quality amps, but tought to find quality on a budget :)

Guess I'll be keeping an eye out on ebay......

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
Ok, I see what you are trying to do here.

A/B 2-ch amplifier sounds like what you need. I had an older Alpine MRV-T757 and I bet two of them would push that nicely, not sure of the THD or anything, however.

I will try and research a few amplifiers, but the output at 8ohms is going to be quesitonable.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
output @ 8 ohms should be just half of what it's rated at 4 ohms. I've been looking around myself, it's just I don't know what's a good quality budget amps. I know good quality amps can be had for less than the price of Zapco, ARC, and the other hi end brands.

I was even looking at some US Acoustics USC2200's. They are fairly cheap, and for the price, I think they'd be tough to beat.......Also there's a deal going on at Cruthfield for MB Quart Reference amps. There's a 200x2 for about $230. Decent specs on those too....

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
Yes, output should be, but sometimes its different (I dont know why).

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
If you need 4 channels with 75-100 watts per channel then I would recommend the HiFonics Chaos from the Generation lineup. These really cannot be had online, but if you look hard enough I am sure you will find. This is a 2 channel 250*2 at 4 ohm amp for 125*2 approx at 8 ohms. The Olympus is 4*125, but at 8 ohms you would only see around 65 watts. Now HiFonics XX series will produce at least 10% more than their rated RMS power or they do NOT pass QC and will never ship out the door as a A stock product.

The XX series is Not the cheapest, but they still are not outragously priced.

Another Option is the Diamond Audio D9 800.2 which is 200*2 at 4, so we would assume around 100*2 at 8ohms. Shoot me a PM if you want more info on any of these.

Dave

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
On a side note plan on your soundstage being at your steering wheel.

I have Dynaudio 3way system 340 up front and i was originally going to have kick panels and the doors. However, after tuning and listening we had to put the tweeters on the pillars and the mids in the kick panels. We also had to relocate the fuse panels on each side to get the best imaging.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts