Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my system installed this spring...2 10" Alpine R subs, JBL 1200.BP.1 amp, 4 guage power/ground...and one night after i jump started my dads car with my IS, the amp blew. Now i figure this had something to do with the jump starting, but it could have been just coincidence. The 80amp fuse on the power wire was blown, and when i got the amp back from the shop, they said they had to replace all 10 transistors.

So i had my system running for about 3 weeks, when my new 120amp monster fuse blows. Not thinking much of it, i replaced the fuse and the amp still didnt work. So i took it to Tweeter and they hooked the amp up to their tester system and it triggered their "auto-shut down" for some reason. They also alerted me to the fact that the 3 40amp external fuses had blown.

lisnup and others...any ideas as to what is going on here? thanks for reading this (if you did :wink: )

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
homerun217 said:
I got my system installed this spring...2 10" Alpine R subs, JBL 1200.BP.1 amp, 4 guage power/ground...and one night after i jump started my dads car with my IS, the amp blew. Now i figure this had something to do with the jump starting, but it could have been just coincidence. The 80amp fuse on the power wire was blown, and when i got the amp back from the shop, they said they had to replace all 10 transistors.

So i had my system running for about 3 weeks, when my new 120amp monster fuse blows. Not thinking much of it, i replaced the fuse and the amp still didnt work. So i took it to Tweeter and they hooked the amp up to their tester system and it triggered their "auto-shut down" for some reason. They also alerted me to the fact that the 3 40amp external fuses had blown.

lisnup and others...any ideas as to what is going on here? thanks for reading this (if you did :wink: )
If all is fine with the routing of the wire and their are no shorts then you are over driving the amplifier which is causing it to fail. I do not work with JBL amps so I am no sure how their internal protection works. Most amps have short circuit, and thermal protection. The fuse that is inline from the battery to the amps sole purpose is to protect the vehicle in case of short. If the fuse was not there, that 4 awg would be a large arc wire that would cause a fire if direct shorted. Smaller wire will heat until it melt through which acts like a fuse in sense. If the amp is drawing its full capacity then their is a serious problem with either the install or the amplifier design itself. The other thing to remember is that if you have 3-40 amp fuse in the amp, they are capable of more draw than a single 120 amp fuse.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks alot lisnup! i'll be sure to look into the install :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts