Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
imo it's not really rice until you add useless parts to make it look fast. i plan on doing some big things w/ my IS, it's just gonna take a little while. but intake, sway bars, underdrive pullies (anybody know where to get them and how much, stuff like that?), supercharger that kinda things just make the car that much better. but when you start adding useless things like the R every other civic has, or visual effects that sort of degrades the car. it's kind of like teaching a runner to run fast instead of just making him look fast. i can't stand the sight of the altezza lights on anything but the is300/altezza. that's hardcore rice. over in the bay area, you've got pick ups, civics, accords, preludes, saleens, and countless other types of cars with those lights. it's just a pain in the buttocks. i mean how cool do they think they'll look when they look like hundreds of other civics and accords. and then they think they drive porsches. the other night i was racing a gs3, and behind me this civic races my buddy's 1990 accord lx with a leaking cylinder. he loses to the accord and after they both slow down the civic goes aroudn the accord and revs on a type r. and yes he had the altezza lights. the people here are extremely ignorant. that's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
21,494 Posts
Honestly if something is done tastefully, I don't see how it compromises the integrity of the IS. I do understand what you are saying, but only to a certain extent. Personally I think what compromises the integrity most is mods that are not clean, or those that people try to cheap out on and don't buy quality parts. I do think that having a bunch of stickers and re-badging is a bit on the rice side, but I have to say to each his own.

I have the SRT intake, Eibach Pro-Kit, am getting 50% tint all around, and plan on getting a body kit and some other items for my car. What I am striving for is to take a beautiful stock vehicle and take it to another level and make it my own.

To me the IS is a sporty enough car to be modded. I've seen some cars that are 100% luxury that people have modified and that just look tacky. To me, something like that compromises the integrity of the car.

Below is a picture of TRD328's IS. I think that car looks beautiful and I don't see how something done so well can really compromise the integrity of the IS.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Personally, I think the stock exterior styling of the IS about as close to perfect as you can get.

I did have issues w/the ride height, thus its lowered w/Eibach springs and TRD adj. shocks.

Other than a few more mods (i.e. supercharger, slotted rotors, steel lines), my car will be finished.

IMO all the current body kits try to change the look of the IS too much. Rather than accentuate, they completely change the IS design.

·
Registered
21,494 Posts
Originally posted by SkyIS:
that's an amazing body kit
what is it? and how much did it cost?
It's the TRD body kit. TRD328 lives in Australia so I believe he picked it up at the dealer.

There is a knock-off of that body kit available from EREBUNI for $993, it's model 927.

And if anyone in Chicago is considering getting that kit, do it and I will KILL you! Just kidding!

http://www.spoilers.com/ge/lexIS300.htm

·
11,062 Posts
My car is bone stock. Not that I wouldn't mind a few goodies, but I just can't afford it right now. I believe that if it suits you, go ahead and add mods. It's your chariot; decorate and parade!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't mind so much the ricers who go and put a 3 foot spoiler on their rides or put racing stripes & stickers all over the place. To me, it's silly but then again it ain't my money they're spending on that crap. And basically most everyone else is of the same opinion so when they see some monstrosity coming down the road and then they see your nice stock/nicely modded IS, usually they appreciate yours even more.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Performance mods all the way. When it comes to body kits, I will never do another one again. They may look good when new, but they don't age well and wait until you try to sell the car. Talk about limiting your perspective buyers, but hey, live and learn.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
agreed, except i do believe in beefing up the engine and power level.

Originally posted by ClownOmatic:
Sometimes I feel as though I'm all alone in my quest to keep the integrity of the IS. With the exception of getting an intake and MAYBE sway bars I'm leaving it alone. No lowering, exhaust, stickers, body kits, etc. The windows are lightly tinted, but that's it. And it is sweet that way. Sometimes I see the ricers around town and I get this nauseating feeling and try to get FAR away from them. Ah well..I feel better now.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
the problem is, in their delusional minds, the 4 foot high, double supra wing, is functional, when they are doing a top speed run at 97mph, its the only difference between them being able to control their horsepower monster, or wreck at that crazy crazy speed.

Originally posted by SkyIS:
imo it's not really rice until you add useless parts to make it look fast. i plan on doing some big things w/ my IS, it's just gonna take a little while. but intake, sway bars, underdrive pullies (anybody know where to get them and how much, stuff like that?), supercharger that kinda things just make the car that much better. but when you start adding useless things like the R every other civic has, or visual effects that sort of degrades the car. it's kind of like teaching a runner to run fast instead of just making him look fast. i can't stand the sight of the altezza lights on anything but the is300/altezza. that's hardcore rice. over in the bay area, you've got pick ups, civics, accords, preludes, saleens, and countless other types of cars with those lights. it's just a pain in the buttocks. i mean how cool do they think they'll look when they look like hundreds of other civics and accords. and then they think they drive porsches. the other night i was racing a gs3, and behind me this civic races my buddy's 1990 accord lx with a leaking cylinder. he loses to the accord and after they both slow down the civic goes aroudn the accord and revs on a type r. and yes he had the altezza lights. the people here are extremely ignorant. that's just my 2 cents.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts