Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering.. I have been on this board for years now and fell in love with this car. Actually I fell in love with it the day it came to the dealerships in the U.S. market. I have been waiting and waiting to buy it..(bought a another house slowed down the process). Anyway, right now I am looking to buy a wrecked one as my next project car. It seems their are so many of you that are disappointed in your car and wish you would of bought something different. I know a couple of ppl that own them and they haven't had any problems that I know of. Is this car not as great as I first thought or what? Just wondering what your opinions are. Thanks......

·
Registered
416 Posts
What would give you the idea that "so many of (us) were dissappointed in (our) car"?

It's just a strange conclusion that I can't figure out where you could have derived it from, that's all.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
depends used u cant beat it, new depends if your going to mod or stay stock. new id have to get a reallly good deal to rebuy the is300 with some of its competitors out unless I wanted to mod.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
you are misconstruing some of the owners being whiners that will whine about something even if it isn't there, as being generally unhappy. there are also some board members that have tried to mod the car themselves, because they were used to working on less complex cars, that have had problems. either way, its not an easy car to modify, and its not a cheap car to modify, if your expectations are of either, give up now, noone wants to have yet another complainer in the group

-gte

doodlebug2 said:
Just wondering.. I have been on this board for years now and fell in love with this car. Actually I fell in love with it the day it came to the dealerships in the U.S. market. I have been waiting and waiting to buy it..(bought a another house slowed down the process). Anyway, right now I am looking to buy a wrecked one as my next project car. It seems their are so many of you that are disappointed in your car and wish you would of bought something different. I know a couple of ppl that own them and they haven't had any problems that I know of. Is this car not as great as I first thought or what? Just wondering what your opinions are. Thanks......

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doug said:
yes, now lick your finger and stick it in your ass.
I wonder why some ppl are even on this website. You actually signed up to be a member to make quotes like that? And NO GTE I am not going to be one of those whiners.... and yes I know exactly what you are talking about. The only reason I posted this subject is because I never owned the IS3. I have test drove 2 of them, but I can't come to a conclusion like you guys that own the car. It seems almost everyday there is a post about some new car that came out that everyone wishes they had instead of the IS3 that is in the same price range. And yes, when I say "project car", I mean modifying... heavliy. But, from some ppl, (whether it's pm's or just reading contents of the forums are saying their cars are falling apart and their starting to make all kinds of noises. I know Lexus is a quality car manufacturer and the IS3 has a strong engine, but I can't help asking the question. I do know one thing, this board has some of the biggest idiots I have ever heard. Basically all I wanted to hear was that you guys are happy with your car. Maybe just the whiners are the ones that I am hearing. Thanks to all of you that actually had something mature to say.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
if you bought the car with dreams of racing, absolutely.

if you bought it as a compromise between luxury and a great handling ability w/ a little more power than you would find in another comparable class of cars: you made the right choice.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
doodlebug2 said:
I wonder why some ppl are even on this website. You actually signed up to be a member to make quotes like that? And NO GTE I am not going to be one of those whiners.... and yes I know exactly what you are talking about. The only reason I posted this subject is because I never owned the IS3. I have test drove 2 of them, but I can't come to a conclusion like you guys that own the car. It seems almost everyday there is a post about some new car that came out that everyone wishes they had instead of the IS3 that is in the same price range. And yes, when I say "project car", I mean modifying... heavliy. But, from some ppl, (whether it's pm's or just reading contents of the forums are saying their cars are falling apart and their starting to make all kinds of noises. I know Lexus is a quality car manufacturer and the IS3 has a strong engine, but I can't help asking the question. I do know one thing, this board has some of the biggest idiots I have ever heard. Basically all I wanted to hear was that you guys are happy with your car. Maybe just the whiners are the ones that I am hearing. Thanks to all of you that actually had something mature to say.
What a whiny little [email protected]! Most people who make this much noise are usually incapable of completing the deal, in other words you don't have any money and you come here to whine about it thinking we give a shiet. It is a pretty marginal car for the price in terms of performance. If you actually had the money, there are several cars that outperform it for the price.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Doug said:
What a whiny little [email protected]! Most people who make this much noise are usually incapable of completing the deal, in other words you don't have any money and you come here to whine about it thinking we give a shiet. It is a pretty marginal car for the price in terms of performance. If you actually had the money, there are several cars that outperform it for the price.
BUT, performance is not the complete picture for everyone. The car has a very nice feel to it, and is a lot of fun to drive. Also, it has an excellent interior and is quite comfortable. Its not always about blowing people away at a stoplight.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys f*ckin amaze me. You talk about me whining... holy sh*t! This board is deffinately not what it was 3 years ago. Is there any good ppl left here?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I love my car. No matter what kind of car you buy, you're always gonna wish it was a little faster or you'll notice one thing you don't like a bout it. The fact of the matter is that there are a lot of great cars out there. If you really want an IS300 get one. I've had no problems from it. If I could go back and buy a different car or wait for a new car, I would still buy my IS300. So if you want one buy it and don't let the few tards on the board change your mind.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IS300Blitz said:
I love my car. No matter what kind of car you buy, you're always gonna wish it was a little faster or you'll notice one thing you don't like a bout it. The fact of the matter is that there are a lot of great cars out there. If you really want an IS300 get one. I've had no problems from it. If I could go back and buy a different car or wait for a new car, I would still buy my IS300. So if you want one buy it and don't let the few tards on the board change your mind.
Thank you... and they wouldn't have changed my mind. Just wanted to see if there were any concerns or problem areas.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's correct. Luckily I do my own painting. I am still trying to decide ona color I wan't to paint it. As I mentioned earlier I am looking for a wrecked IS3 preferrably.. (I would like to keep the whole project @ about the same price a new would cost. I have found a few wrecked IS3's for around $8000-$12,000, but all were automatics so far. I would also do the body work myself so basically I would just have to pay for parts & paint. I was talking to my wife about this (buying a new IS3) and we decided for me to do all of things I want to do with this car, my best bet would be to buy used. I want to keep everything around $35000. That doesn't keep a lot of room for modifications if I were to buy new.

·
Registered
416 Posts
jonr1 said:
BUT, performance is not the complete picture for everyone. The car has a very nice feel to it, and is a lot of fun to drive. Also, it has an excellent interior and is quite comfortable. Its not always about blowing people away at a stoplight.
Well said, jonr1. But it was aimed at deaf ears as Doug has always been about strapping on bigger bragging rights and trying to be more "extreme" than the next guy. But good attempt nevertheless. :wink:

·
Registered
998 Posts
If you buy a used one just be careful of the milage . For me 17,000 turned into 29,000 in 8 quick months and a 2000 A4 with 36,000 is going for 18-19. It really is alot off a monthly payment.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well there's a very good reason you're having a hard time finding a Manual IS300. The manuals weren't available until 2002 I believe. If you get a auto you can work with that easily. Check out the Power House Racing website.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
12 Participants
Pac-Man
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing