Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Is'ers.bought a new alt today for 120 instead of a remanufactured one at lexus for 425.both are remanned tho.to change this out,is the best way from the bottom?heard its fairly simple to replace just looking for any advice because it and the batt is dead so rather do myself then have it towed and labor to do it.please help,I've searched and cannot find any DIY.thanks in advance

·
Registered
53 Posts
My Alt died on me like 4 months ago. i checked around on the forms and there not really any thing on how to do it but i'll give you a run down on how to do it. the easiest way is to remove it from the bottom. what your going to need is to put the car on jack stands. be fore removing the ALT. you need to remove the battery ground cable. then you need to remove the serpentine belt aka accessory belt, to do so you need a short barrel socket with a long breaker bar, i forget what size socket, take the socket and breaker bar and place it on the tensioner pulley, toque it towards the right and you will see the pulley move left and the belt will loosen. pull the belt off the pulley system. this would be a great time to see if you need a new belt or not. Ok now time to remove the the ALT. first you will see a wire connected to the top of the ALT, remove that cable with a wrench. Now the ALt is only held up by 1 long bolts and 1 nut, long Bolt on the top towards the front and the nut at the bottom towards the back, i think that how it is it could be backwards, my suggestion is to loosen the nut first then go for the bolt. Dont worry about it falling cuz it is supported by the bolt were the nut is. after removing the bolt and nut, from under the car slide the alt off the bolt, a little word of caution its kinda heavy when your under the car so be careful, you should be able to wiggle it around and pull it out. then just work backwards to put it back the new alt. the job should only take you about an hour if your car savvy and bout 2 hours if your not. the job is not hard. if you have someone to help you it cuts the time in half. the only thing i might say would be some trouble is removing the serpentine belt and putting it back on if your doing it by your self. i hop this helps. let me know if you need any more info.

·
Premium Member
18,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
re:alternator changing

Thanks buddy! Info did really help.only part I had a problem with is sliding the alt foward and off the bolt,as it hits the fan shroud.so I tried to loosen the fan cage and instead of having to pull it all out,I had to cut I fin off the fan blade protector.glued it back on wen I was done and all is well now.thanks...and it only took me 50min

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.