Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been searching and searching for a solution. My alternator broke right off the block and water pump, just hanging there! Talk about the most inconvenient problem I have ever seen. I'm not the only one this has happened to. There was an IS that this happened to in Tampa FL they just welded the small piece and got a new water pump and then fixed, but is all the way broken off the block not a small piece on mine. My welder is telling me its going to be a b*tch to weld on. He also said it might be best to pull engine out to weld it on. I say that's a lot work for nothing. Does anyone know of any relocation brackets for the 2jz-ge that will work for sure? Or any other solution to this?

Phillie

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
First time i've heard of this. So I got you right, you're talking about the top mount that is part of the WP, that bracket where the top 12mm bolt goes into broke off? The bottom mount, or long stud it rests on is okay? If the top tab broke, it can be welded and it won't be pretty since it is cast. I found a similar thread, replacing the WP may be the best route, but not too sure of you broke the bottom one too.

Is the pic in this thread like yours(halfway down)?
http://my.is/forums/f115/crankshaft-pulley-killer-bolt-need-tool-denver-372086/

You may be able to get a small piece of metal stock and use it to reinforce the crack, so you would weld twice. Welding cast iron will need to be used with lower current setting and can be done if your's is like the one in the attachment(in posted link). Can you get a pic. Worst case, the WP will needs replaced.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I found a similar thread from our neighbors and it sounds like the welding the cast iron may not be a good idea. If both of your brackets broke, you may be able to get a bracket similar as shown in the thread below(granted it's for a GS300-same engine though). The only other solution is to fab up a bracket of your own, but you have to keep pulley alignment as the most important aspect. If the bottom mount broke as well, there's the possibility of relocating a new mount on the block, maybe. Hope this helps, I realize it's not a definitive answer.

alternator broke of engine block! - Club Lexus Forums

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes both mounts broke. Top and bottom. I planned on just getting a new WP and I have seen that thread before and been researching relocation brackets. I also contact the guy glenn they referred to a couple of days ago and he hasnt responded. So Im just still looking and looking for a solution. Thanks for the help though. I will post pics later. Maybe someone made a specific bracket for these already. Because so far I have seen 3 2jz's this has happened to.

Phillie

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know its been a long time, has anyone solved this problem? I had just have this event happen to me. (SAME Problem)
I would like to have a update on what happen? and if so How did you fix it? Please respond.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts