Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have NO IDEA how this happened, but I started hearing this strange sound like I was dragging something a few days ago, so I had it checked out at my 7200 mile service today. Turns out a plastic cover holding god knows what underneath my car has already scraped off! It's right smack dab in the middle of the undercarriage, so I have no idea how I scraped it! (Now I understand the scrape marks underneath my bumper...grumble...but this?) Anyway, The guy says they may not cover it under warranty, but my argument was it isn't wear and tear!!! Something happened to it! They'd BETTER cover it!!! I'll let you know.

-anndi

·
Registered
515 Posts
A similar thing happened to me. I was driving on the freeway and heard a scaping sound. Then all of a sudden I look in my rear view and I see a bunch of the plastic breaking into pieces. They replaced it though. Except I felt like an idiot driving around because the noise was so loud.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am having that exact same problem. This week on the highway I heard a noise like air rushing into the car and something dragging. I pulled over to check the tires, and then looked under the car to see if I was dragging something. I saw part of the underbody cover that looks like it came loose. I'm glad to know that others have had this problem when I go to get mine fixed.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I broke my dead peddle already. I was a little disapointed it was not made stronger. I had an old 240SX and I stood on that thing all the time for 8 years and it never moved.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here are my observations from seeing my car on the lift:
1. One of the corners of the undercarriage panel seemed it was missing a screw to hold it up so it appeared to be hanging loosely. I took some before "fixing" pictures of this (and am waiting to use up the rest of my roll of film).
2. The clearance betweeen the ground and the undercarriage is about 6 inches. You have to be very careful on dips and bumps in the road.
I had my undercarriage replaced among other things.

--Nancy

Originally posted by puzzle1001:
Turns out a plastic cover holding god knows what underneath my car has already scraped off! It's right smack dab in the middle of the undercarriage, so I have no idea how I scraped it! (Now I understand the scrape marks underneath my bumper...grumble...but this

-anndi

[This message has been edited by Nancy (edited October 20, 2000).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
coming out of a Gas Station yesterday I heard a scraping noise. I checked the car and couldn't find anything.
I'm guessing it was the undercarriage.... Nancy.. did Lexus Fix your car free of charge?

------------------
Silver IS300 fully loaded w/LSD

·
Registered
76 Posts
No, because a rebar punctured my undercarriage and damaged it as I was on the highway; therefore, my insurance covered it after the collision deductible. I have my receipt now:
cover (part # 5816553010)$58.87 and labor $101/hr.

--Nancy

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
Originally posted by eyes300:
coming out of a Gas Station yesterday I heard a scraping noise. I checked the car and couldn't find anything.
I'm guessing it was the undercarriage.... Nancy.. did Lexus Fix your car free of charge?

if it was the front then its the two hard plastic thingies in front of your front tires
if it was the back it was the muffle or exhaust
slow down on dips and speed bumps

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I think I was the first victim about the bottom of the car being a little too close to the ground. I dented the exhaust tip at the drive through of KFC (never had that happen in my old Eclipse before) the 3 or so weeks I got my car

I have also scrapped the bottom of the car many times because of the way the entrance/exit of the shopping center is designed. Can't really do anything with that, even if I go extremely slow.

·
2,909 Posts
$101 for labor, is that correct? I hope not, that sounds way more than the $40-60 range I thought dealers charged.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Damn,
I also broke the plastic undercarriage in my car for god knows how long ago. I've never checked under my car until my dad saw a wire dangling on the bottom of my car. Went to Lexus dealer and they said something broke it off, so looks like I'll have to pay for this one. Thank god labor won't cost me, just the plastic part. Anyone knows how much that plastic covering is? And do you guys see a plastic wire dangling after you break it? Note to 2002 IS300s, make that stupid undercarriage strong or people will ward off from buying these cars, at least I will be because I don't have the time or extra free dough to be wasting on something Lexus should have thought in making stronger on a low-to-the-ground car like the IS300.

K

·
Registered
591 Posts
str8upchillboi,

Yes when I take our car in for service I Always go back and stay with the car while its being serviced.
Don't let them tell you you can't.
I say this to say monday while I was there I had a chance to look thouroughly under the car while it was on the lift.
The car Does Have quite alot of Undercarrige
Farings there. A must for HIGH SPEED AERODYNAMICS.... It looks VERY NEAT I must say under the IS.
When changing the oil you must remove one corner of the Front Engine Cover Farings just to gain Access to the bottom of the engine. I must say, I like the way the bottom of the car is SEALED UP.

Smra.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Originally posted by croddy:
I broke my dead peddle already. I was a little disapointed it was not made stronger. I had an old 240SX and I stood on that thing all the time for 8 years and it never moved.
I've had to have our's replaced too. (2 Clips)
Its not srong enough to STAND ON while reaching for your wallet.

Thats how I busted our's.

Smra.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, actually it was $102/hour ($612/6). I wonder how much an oil change would cost although my salesguy told me before I bought the car that it would be about $25-$30.

--Nancy

Originally posted by jiggafett:
$101 for labor, is that correct? I hope not, that sounds way more than the $40-60 range I thought dealers charged.

·
Registered
76 Posts
How come they are not charging you labor? Is it a warranty item? See my earlier post above about cost for the part and part number: $58.87. You can get it for less at some Lexus oem part store online. Search the archive for the url. Can someone tell me what a dead peddle is? What is that extra peddle on the left (as opposed to the middle which is the brake and the right which is the accelerator).

--Nancy

Originally posted by str8upchillboi:
Damn,
I also broke the plastic undercarriage in my car for god knows how long ago. Thank god labor won't cost me, just the plastic part. Anyone knows how much that plastic covering is? K

·
Registered
33 Posts
Originally posted by Nancy:
Well, actually it was $102/hour ($612/6). I wonder how much an oil change would cost although my salesguy told me before I bought the car that it would be about $25-$30.

Please tell me they did not charge you $612 dollars to do that work! If they did I would report them to the better business bureau and then threaten to sue them! First off, dealer labor is typically about 62$/hour. Secondly, 6 hours of labor is insane--they could rebuild half of your car in that time. Third, I wouldn't care what they said about it being your fault that thing fell off--bring in these posts showing them how it is happening to everyone. If it continues some sort of a recall should be in order. As the car is not going to change over the years, this could possibly be something that ocurrs over and over again. If I read your post wrong than just disreagrd this. If I didn't, then that dealership is truly appalling!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Falken (edited October 22, 2000).]

·
Registered
76 Posts
Please tell me they did not charge you $612 dollars to do that work!

They did more work than just replace the undercarriage (because it was punctured by the rebar although the leaning corner of the undercarriage was not caused by it) when I had an accident with a rebar a couple weeks ago. They also replaced my gas tank and left and right rear bracing; however, labor cost more than the msrp oem parts. I will have my IS300 diary up soon on www.ltuned.org about my entire Lexus experience.

--Nancy

[This message has been edited by Nancy (edited October 22, 2000).]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts