Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to purchase a new head unit for my IS, but am torn between the Alpine CDA-7897 and the Pioneer DEH-P9400MP. I had a pioneer before and loved it, but i also know that Alpines are great too. I want to know which would be better for XM Radio. Any feedback or advice is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
alpine is good quality stuff and reliable. i have a pioneer headunit and love it, its the lower model, deh7400mp, but i've seen the one you want, its pretty nice and has a lot of options. thats a tough decision, but i'd say go with the pioneer head unit. more attractive and has a lot of options, quality stuff too. im looking in to eclipse headunits though, simple, casual, and high quality.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
- I have the alpine cda-7998 and I love it...
- specs:
CLICK HERE

·
8,827 Posts
I would go Alpine if you want MP3 changer support.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alpine is good quality stuff and reliable. i have a pioneer headunit and love it, its the lower model, deh7400mp, but i've seen the one you want, its pretty nice and has a lot of options. thats a tough decision, but i'd say go with the pioneer head unit. more attractive and has a lot of options, quality stuff too. im looking in to eclipse headunits though, simple, casual, and high quality.
I used to have the 7300... it was great. i think i might just stick with the pioneers, they are a little more attractive and have worked for me so far.

thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
903 Posts
i have the 7400 all ican say is that pioneer is amazing, so is alpine but i like the pioneer display better. its really a tough decision. (i don't have the pioneer installed on the is, im thinkin of gettin a newere hu for my new car).

·
Registered
238 Posts
i have an alpine cda 7995, just haven't installed it (need to find and install kit somewhere for it), but previously i had alpine in my old car.. i wouldn't go back if i didnt love it 8)

there's a great deal going on right now for the cda 7995.. pm me if you want more info

·
Registered
4,991 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Pioneer all the way. I have the 9400 and would not trade it for anything on the market.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have the CDA-7998 and I'm with dut on this one. It is really nice. Not to mention it hides itself (i.e. no detachable face). On top of that, it fits in a single din space but has a 1.5 din display. This is my favorite deck yet.

In my truck I have the CDA-9815, which is pretty much the same except for a couple of minor details. This unit has a detachable face and is single din. It is blue, whereas the 7998 matches the interior of our cars perfectly when you put on the orange backlighting. The 7998 is a preamp output only headunit while the 9815 is 60x4 and has 3 pairs of preamp outputs. This 9815 is very nice as well and is about $300 less than the 7998.

Both of these units support a changer, mp3+wma, xm, i-personalize, have digital time correction and sound great! I like both of these units better than the two pioneers and the two nakamichi decks I have had previously (naks in the IS(gone now) and my tundra, pioneers in my rx-7 and prelude). I have not previously owned a 9400, so I cannot give a direct comparison of these units.

The specs on the 9400 are very similar to the 7998. If you can spend the money on the 9400, then I wouldn't even look at the 7897. The 7998 is a better unit all the way around, unless you are not adding an amplifier (but then why would you buy these high end stereos without appropriate speakers and amplifiers?)

The 9400 has a 13 band eq, where the alpine has a 5 band parametric eq. The 9400 has a steering wheel mount remote control and the alpine has a handheld (much better for passengers who want to drive the stereo). The 9400 has autotuning with the microphone(this is a nice feature if you don't know how to set up your sounds) and the 7998 does not. 7998 has i-personalize, where you set up your system on their website and then upload it to the stereo, the pioneer doesn't. Both of them can hook up to a processor and both units will work well and sound great with their processor counterparts, especially if you want to do 5.1 stuff.

Both of these units look to be excellent. They are comparable in almost every aspect. I don't think that you would be disappointed with either one.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
DarkStorm: I don't know how to use my deck (settings), too complicated for someone like me, but it was only $200 new in box still... thats the ONLY reason I bought a new deck... which reminds me, I am going to write down the settings that the dood tuned :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Alpine 9815 I've been using for the last few months rocks! I wanted SQ more than gimmicks or "cool" image displays when I was auditioning for space in the dash. For the price, this deck is loaded with sq features that lets you control crossover and eq points extremely well. The white/blue lighting was not a decision breaker nor is it a distraction, but it would have been a perfect fit if orange were available all the time! The 7998 is also an excellent choice as it is sq as well. Can't help you on the XM part as the Keg is the primary music source. Good luck on your decision. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
769 Posts
dut said:
DarkStorm: I don't know how to use my deck (settings), too complicated for someone like me, but it was only $200 new in box still... thats the ONLY reason I bought a new deck... which reminds me, I am going to write down the settings that the dood tuned :lol:
After you write down the settings, go to the alpine site and follow the i-personalize link. Put your settings in there and the site will produce a file for. Burn that to a cd and stick it in your car. If you battery ever dies or the settings get mucked up, put the cd in and you're back where you started again. It's a pretty nice feature. You can have several different setups for different types of music. I believe you can even put a different file on each of your mp3/wma disks and have it automatically use those settings for each disk. When I get back home, I can get you the time correction values I use if you want to compare notes ;)

·
Registered
14 IS350
378 Posts
01BlackOnBlack said:
I want to purchase a new head unit for my IS, but am torn between the Alpine CDA-7897 and the Pioneer DEH-P9400MP. I had a pioneer before and loved it, but i also know that Alpines are great too. I want to know which would be better for XM Radio. Any feedback or advice is appreciated. Thank you.
I say alpine. I will put in my bit here again on this subject. Heres the lowdown on XM. I have been with XM since 3 days after the launch. Have been through MANY Xm Receivers. Most the music played on XM is from MP3 or similiar computer formats. The thing with MP3 is that you tend to lose Highs and Lows. which makes the music sound flat. you can make up for some of this with an EQ. BUT! the best thing i have ever seen to clean up this problem is Alpines Media X-Pander feature. It makes a HUGE difference. you wont believe the difference with it off and On. The other thing is if you plan to go really high end on your system in the future. You just cant beat the customization abilities of an Alpine with the built in Time correction. A good head unit is the most important piece of a system. I hope this helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.