Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up my IS from Putnam (5k service), and my buddy with his M3 drove me there. We decided to head in the direction of el camino, so we got into the outer lane of a two-lane left turn (M3 in front, IS behind it). To our left (oops) was some midde-aged woman in a small car...maybe a honda? dunno.

anyways, left turn light turns green, everything look normal as we begin to turn left. suddenly the woman, who should have taken the closest lane, jerks to the right and plants her car about an inch (or less) in front of my friend. He's almost at full throttle, so instead of taking out her rear bumper, he swerves immediately to the right into the third lane of the street we just turned onto (confused yet?).....but unfortunately, inches in front of another middle-aged man in an SUV. The SUV freaks out and jerks out in front of ME, so i had to do a panic stop.....tires screaming. I'm almost at a standstill at that point, and the M was going about 40mph during the swerve. M swerved a little too much and had to correct, as he was about to hit a parked car. M swerves back into my lane, explorer merges right into the farmost lane.

Aftermath: man in white SUV curses the fuck out of my M3 friend at a light, and the M just blows an airhorn b/c he was hella pissed. The woman that started it all was nowhere to be found. after we got onto el camino, we saw a serious accident & police had closed off an entire section of the street.

Learned: holy shit the M can handle like no other, and reinforced 'be a defensive driver'

:crazy: crazy! poo this doesn't make as much sense as I had hoped. o well. i'll edit it if i think of an easier way to say it, or if i somehow made an error somewhere.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .. i am only laughing at your drawings

but honestly though . it's a good you are safe ... I remember I was almost in a chain accident once in LA .. that was really scary ... but that's another story ..

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
my friend got into an accident last year with his lexus gs at the lawrence expressway.
identical situation, except the **** driver was on the traffic light going to the left, but unlike your friend's m3, my friend didnt manage to manuever his gs after he swerve to avoid the collision...

the stupid driver was nowhere to be seen afterwards :pissed:

·
Registered
172 Posts
sadly if you swerve out of the way to avoid an accident and you hit someone, the cop will tell you that you should have just let them hit you.

·
Registered
643 Posts
look like a setup. to get into a car accident

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
hmm. It seems picasso has joined .net

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
scottschoe said:
He's almost at full throttle, so ...and the M just blows an airhorn
Almost at full throttle? In a BMW M3? In Bay Area traffic? While turning?

AND blows an airhorn at the guy in the Explorer who got cut off and has a right to be pissed?

Is your friend an idiot, or do you just enjoy portraying him as one on the Internet?

P.S. Your picture actually makes sense, but where did the guy in the Explorer come from?

·
Premium Member
52,535 Posts
It seems to me that if you drive much at all, you'll have the opportunity to avoid one or two accidents just about any time you go out. If the good drivers didn't watch out for the numbskull drivers, the roads and streets would be blocked up with accidents half the time. This trend seems to be getting worse as time goes by. Pay attention and, depending on the area, you'll see plenty of stupid moves where one driver saves the other one. Defense becomes more and more important every day.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CRB said:
scottschoe said:
He's almost at full throttle, so ...and the M just blows an airhorn
Almost at full throttle? In a BMW M3? In Bay Area traffic? While turning?

AND blows an airhorn at the guy in the Explorer who got cut off and has a right to be pissed?

Is your friend an idiot, or do you just enjoy portraying him as one on the Internet?

P.S. Your picture actually makes sense, but where did the guy in the Explorer come from?
yup. it's not a very packed road; it was empty for one block ahead of us. he wasn't speeding, but he was reaching the limit very quickly. well, i guess my friend was pissed b/c the explorer guy didn't see that it was his only option. the explorer came from a right turn lane opposite of where we originated.....not really sure as I don't frequent the area.

·
Interior Handling Expert
1,752 Posts
First of all, your diagram cracks me up :lol: ...but since you did it on a mousepad...you're excused. :wink:

Second, why whould your friend be at full throttle while turning? If he had just driven normally, he probably wouldn't have been in that position and could've probably just tapped the brakes to avoid that.

Just my 2 cents.

Alex

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
luke722 said:
First of all, your diagram cracks me up :lol: ...but since you did it on a mousepad...you're excused. :wink:

Second, why whould your friend be at full throttle while turning? If he had just driven normally, he probably wouldn't have been in that position and could've probably just tapped the brakes to avoid that.

Just my 2 cents.

Alex
yeah, i think we all agree he should have used some more caution, but hindsight is 20/20

·
Registered
888 Posts
scottschoe said:
so i had to do a panic stop.....tires screaming.
The is300 has ABS breaks, I don't see how your tires would be screaming. Unless you pulled the emergency breaks.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rav4skyracer said:
scottschoe said:
The is300 has ABS breaks, I don't see how your tires would be screaming. Unless you pulled the emergency breaks.
no clu....i've done a panic stop on the freeway before and they skidded as well.

edit: well after reading up on ABS on the net, i know that IS brakes aren't designed to lock up....but i still don't know why i got that sound. (if any of you are brave enough.....drive 30-40mph and slam the brake to the floor and see if u get any noise?)

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Rav4skyracer said:
scottschoe said:
all tires sing at limits of adhesion.
the abs locks and unlocks at superfast intervals.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
glad to hear u and ur friend are ok...

stupid drivers like that deserve to get their license suspended
ive had a couple situations like that...

swerved to the other side of the road to avoid a tbone collision...managed to get back to the right side just in time...stupid focker didnt brake at a stop sign turning right onto my lane.... :pissed:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.