Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This album still gets a fairly frequent spot in my late night listening rotation, so after enjoying it again, I thought I'd write this review, or tribute really.<P>

This is one of my all-time favorite albums. It has everything I look for in a song, packaged in a extraordinarily-produced collection. It's all here. Wit, style, politics and dark, sarcastic groove. When Matt Johnson isn't forcing you to crack a smile at a carefully-crafted sly lyric, he's slapping you in the face with some unfashionable social or political statement.<P>

Mind Bomb is full of trippy beats, camoflauged in piano and guitar-laced alternative pop. Having said that, I think it trivializes this album to try and call it anything fairly specific. Based simply with guitar, piano, bass and drums, this album doesn't surprise you with instrumentation, but in the arrangements and production. The drums are crisp and extremely effective. The instrumentation swims in great layer, often uniquely effect-ed. Matt Johnson's deep, rich voice sounds very close and emotive. Songs like "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" use parody to lend impact.<P>

The lyrics are usually biting and dramatic, honest and unflinching. Religous viewpoints abound. They are joined with a few contemporary romance and social topics that together paint a well-rounded picture of a personality that many of us should identify with. The dynamic range of Matt's voice both in tone and key is well-used in the execution and particularly enjoyable in the track "Kingdom of Rain", a duet with Sinead O'Connor.<P>

If had the opportunity to listen to a few albums in front of the most wonderful speakers in the world - and I had to listen to the entire album - this is one of the few I would want with me. The fine engineering and production coupled with great songs and musicianship, PLUS style and wit, make this a classic.<P>

Favs: "Good Morning Beautiful", "The Violence of Truth", "Gravitate to Me", "Beyond Love"<BR>
Guests: Sinead O'Connor, Johnny Marr<BR>
Soundex: Johnny Rotten as Frank Sinatra?<BR>

[SponsoredLinks]Available at Amazon: <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000068TOC/is300net-20">Mind Bomb [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]</A><br>
or try <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000066C15/is300net-20">45 Rpm: The Singles [Limited Edition Bonus Disc]</A><br>
or go for the gusto: <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000069CWP/is300net-20">London Town 1983-1993 [IMPORT]</A>[/SponsoredLinks]

PS> Wow. I just finished reading some of the reviews at the Amazon link above and was very happy to discover that I am not alone in my deep, sincere appreciation of this album. If you don't own, buy it now!

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
OMG..thought I was the only one! Saw the concert Oct 30 / 89 with the SugarCubes....even better live!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Really one of my all time favorite albums. Rediscovering it through my new USB DAC and headphone amp.

If you haven't listened to the new remaster, check that out also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts