Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's so awful, why not just cut to the chase and call it the Lexus IS 3 Series! Sorry, saw that on Lexus.com and it just struck me funny. Why do the Japanese have to copy so much? Demeans the car.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I guess IS300-class sounds worse?

Anyway, Lexus has referred to the GS300 and GS400 as the "GS-series." So why not the IS300 and SportCross?

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you guys think it's a coincidence that BMW refers to their cars as 'Series'? How about just IS300? Or Toyota Altezza? Why does the car have to change badges when it crosses the ocean? To make Americans happier about their purchase?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Originally posted by ckolsen:
To make Americans happier about their purchase?
Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the BMW bed. What gives? You seem more concerned than IS owners about it's history and naming conventions.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
there is the is300 Eshift
Sportcross
and 5 speed

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good point, but yeah, the IS300 is kind of special to me cause it's the first car from Japan that's exactly what I like - I don't want Lexus to screw it up in some urge to imitate BMW. Imagine if the next IS goes in the direction BMW is going - heavier, more luxurious, women-oriented.
As for why I have a BMW and hang out here, it's cause when I bought my car, there was no manual IS. And I can't afford to trade my car every couple years, so I have to wait.

Originally posted by SilverLex:
Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the BMW bed. What gives? You seem more concerned than IS owners about it's history and naming conventions.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yeah, one hopes Lexus will learn from BMW's mistakes. I don't think the mainstream buyer cares what it's called, or what it copies. If people like the car, they'll buy it, and my guess is there is a very small percentage of buyers that would be turned off by the "borrowing" of ideas from competitors.

Of course, it's been discussed before, the industry is full of copy cats, and Lexus is just one of them.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, look at the lights on the new BMW Compact - after all the trash talking by BMW people about the IS300 taillights, what beautiful irony that they got installed on the new BMW Compact!! The funny thing is, while they look good on the IS300, they look like crap on the BMW Compact. Oops.

Yeah, one hopes Lexus will learn from BMW's mistakes. I don't think the mainstream buyer cares what it's called, or what it copies. If people like the car, they'll buy it, and my guess is there is a very small percentage of buyers that would be turned off by the "borrowing" of ideas from competitors.

Of course, it's been discussed before, the industry is full of copy cats, and Lexus is just one of them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't think the concern should be the name but rather the fact that Lexus takes someone else's idea and improves upon it with their own packaging. That should really throw up a flag for BMW and everyone else.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Don't worry, the next IS won't be heavier or super-luxurious. That's why Lexus has the ES300.

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Originally posted by ckolsen:
Good point, but yeah, the IS300 is kind of special to me cause it's the first car from Japan that's exactly what I like - I don't want Lexus to screw it up in some urge to imitate BMW. Imagine if the next IS goes in the direction BMW is going - heavier, more luxurious, women-oriented.
As for why I have a BMW and hang out here, it's cause when I bought my car, there was no manual IS. And I can't afford to trade my car every couple years, so I have to wait.
Dude, if history is any lesson, Lexus will NOT do anything stupid like following another company's lead... they have distinctly different (than BMW) vehicles, and should not be compared as clones or copycats because they target a similar market, that's just business. Don't take any crap from the people on the boards because you have a bimmer, its all about loving your car and loving to drive.

how many of you get excited to get home just so you can drive? Or get excited because you have an excuse to drive? If not, you're in the wrong forum and driving a badge, not a fine auto.

Chris has never come across like this, so don't pretend like he is just because he owns a bimmer.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts

Dude I dont think there was an IS in 95' so thats not the reason you bought the bimmer

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Uhh...you need to get the facts straight. ckolsen bought his '95 325i used about a half a year ago or something like that. He was definitely waiting for the manual transmission IS300 to debut (I believe he owned an Integra GS-R sedan before getting the bimmer). If you'll notice, he's been posting long before you did.

Originally posted by Kel3:

Dude I dont think there was an IS in 95' so thats not the reason you bought the bimmer

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys, you got a good memory JW! YEah, I've been on this board since the start, and it's the best car board I know. I'm finally going to Lexus tonight to drive the IS300 manual!
I've been an IS300 fan since I first heard about it like 3 years ago, but especially since I did the awesome Lexus driving event last year.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I mentioned it in 'reflections on 5 speed', but the car's really sweet, like I thought it'd be. The shifter is great, the clutch fine - though my shoe kept catching on something. The car's quick, I don't need S4 speed, just a quick car, and I think it'd be great on the track. The body is very stiff and solid, and turn in is fantastic, better than my BMW. I may get one, though probably not this year, right now I'm flogging the BMW at track events, I'll see how it holds up.

Let us know how it goes CK.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts