Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 137 Posts

·
Interior Handling Expert
1,829 Posts
I also commited the "sin" of asking about What people thought was the best body kit for the money when I first registered. :oops:

I got flamed with pictures of people doing dumb things and also received so many "Do a search" that I was hesitant to ask anything again. :noway:

What I don't understand is that most of the time it would take just as much time to answer the questions than to write "Do a search dumbass!" and post a picture.

When I see a question that I know has already been answered, instead of flamin' the guy, I do the search and post the URL for the member.

I mean, isn't that why we're really here...to help each other? 8)

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
luke722 said:
i like to think so...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well, I always do a search first to see if I can find relevent info. But sometimes when a newb asks a question, they get flamed way too hard. Anyway, back to working on my car....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think most of these problems could be resolved with a better categorization of the topic. For instance, in Go Fast Stuff I would like to see some sub-categorization that includes: intakes, exhausts, superchargers, turbochargers, ecu, etc. This would allow for focused groups of discussions and refinement of search results.

Another way to clear this up is to move or link improtant threads to a thread for newbies. If there is a good discussion about supercharger vs turbocharger, an admin should link it to a newbie thread.

Just some suggestions.

Since this is my second post in the last year, you can see I am lurker :p

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
larsomatic said:
I think most of these problems could be resolved with a better categorization of the topic. For instance, in Go Fast Stuff I would like to see some sub-categorization that includes: intakes, exhausts, superchargers, turbochargers, ecu, etc. This would allow for focused groups of discussions and refinement of search results.

Another way to clear this up is to move or link improtant threads to a thread for newbies. If there is a good discussion about supercharger vs turbocharger, an admin should link it to a newbie thread.

Just some suggestions.

Since this is my second post in the last year, you can see I am lurker :p

That is a very valid point, I will discuss this w/ the Owners of this site...

Thank you for your imput...

·
Registered
78 Posts
boost

I'm a new bie that is changing from a super chared integra that ran13.3 @106,so I now a little bit about cars and now I want to try a tubro kit for an IS . I will need some help.it looks like two kit are reputable thank for the info, but when it comes to the hard stuff I will need some help but right now I'm learning. bottom line don't treat the newbies to bad you might need are help when we have 7000 post thank you very much jasin.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
On the subject of what is covered in this forum, I say about 80% of it is TUNER'S WAR!!!! One out of every three posts I see in here goes into a 5 or 10 page battle between PFS and SRT. I think they should have their own forums!!! Turbo vs. Supercharger, sure. best intake/exhaust, sure. These can be made stickys. The Tuner Battle is the biggest thing going on right now and the biggest waste of space. There should be an entire forum or a sticky comparing ALL the tuners products and pricing, and that's it. Other people should ask their questions freely about certain tuners if they want.

Just my $.02

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
is300sam2002 said:
Search just comes up with hundreds of garbage hits. How do you narrow it down?
use more specific words.

for example, turbo will pull up tons right??? how about turbo performance, or turbo kit, turbo problems, etc...basically like using a search engine on the internet...

hope this helps a little...

·
Latex salesman
5,624 Posts
Ditto!

I couldn't agree more. I am a new person to this site...just joined about 30 minutes ago. I'm also a huge NY Giants fan and I frequent a similar forum on the Giants website called the Corner Forum. It's sad when people jump on other folks for asking legitimate questions whether they're "intelligent" or not. This is a great site. Let's take care of eachother.

Mayo :)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
What everybody's said here is valid...and I've got a lot of good help on my questions, some of you all seem to have ignored the original post on this thread about not saying stuff like ^^yea what he said, because I read through this, and read the same information about 8 times. In all seriousness, I love this community, and I've visited it for almost a year. It is a great fountain of knowledge, and cheers to all the work that is done maintaining this site. All you IS-savvy people, keep the good info coming!!!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
HyperMKIV said:
luke722 said:
i like to think so...
I'm here to learn, and that's all I'm interested. But from time to time I ask a question that "seems" similar to a FAQ and get flammed with "noob" remarks..

I've actually been reading this site since it first started, but didn't register and post until I bought an IS last year... Also, I don't post much because there are many people that have much greater knowledge than me so I have very little to offer. My posts are often about pointing others the info that they're looking for, because sometimes people asks questions that interest me as well as I learn more about my car.

Some people treat this forum as "their territory". If a noob comes a long and has a certain opinion/taste that them "vetran members" don't agree with, they think they have to right to insult the noobs. It's sad...

cheers

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
i'm not as active as i used to be due to the heavy workload i've been seeing at my job...but from now on, if i see stupid posts, posts that make no sense or a post that contributes nothing, i think i'm going to start deleting them...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Im a Newbie too, I like this post a lot. thank u guys for been patient and suported with the newbies.

So far no complains about this site, it had help me alot to learn about my car, I thank u all.

Thanks.

-Sosa-

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
i'm bumping this for old times sake and i've seen a lot of BS going around lately too...

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
that is true, is there anyway to could somewhat start over? like deleting old pointless threads and merging threads that actually help together then stickied for quick reference. I hate using the search, I'll get 20 threads on the same topic but only like 3 or 4 of them actually help me. Its pretty rediculous IMO.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
man this thread is an eye opener. i mean we were all newbs at one point looking for advice. ppl join this forum for someone to help them out. and i know there is something anyone can contribute.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,394 Posts
I usually try to help out where I can, especially in the Mobiletronics section since that is the area I know the most about. I don't mind so much when people ask legit questions, even when they have been asked millions of times before (yeah in my short time at this site). I actually enjoy helping them because I remember when I did my entire stereo system in my car and was lost at the beginning. So I for one know how good it feels to get the EXACT answer you need :cloud9:

What really gets to me is when someone gets on here and types something close to the following...
"Yo sup boyz, I wuz gonna start modin muh IS300 and I want TONS of hp! I hurd tha SRT intake is mad cool yo and fronts like 50hp...wha chall think?!?!"

Thats when I just want to kill people like that. I don't ever really flame people but I refuse to help the ignorant. My only hope is that people like that crash their IS300 soon so they don't give the rest of us a bad name.

21 - 40 of 137 Posts