Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago my brothers seats were stolen out of his delsol (nothen fancy, they were freegin stock, just like everything eles in the car) he was no ricer. But anywho that happend at our neighborhood, and it was the first instance of anything getting stolen. So we all started setting out alarms and all that stuff, well last night there were 4 cars broken into (BMW, TSX and a mini-van) I know the BMW and the TSX had alarms but im not to sure about the mini-van. Each one had eather an air bag stolen, or CD's (both in the TSX) :confused:

So now my IS300 is sitting out there with that alarm issue (you can open it with a screw driver) so im realy worried about it, and pretty sure I need to upgrade the alarm before I start on the radop and all.

So whats a good alarm system (was thinking viper, but I havent looked at alarm systems in a while) And can I get one that would work with the stock keyless entry system so I just have one key ring that unlocks the doors and does the alarm and all?

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I have a viper system that is made from the DEI company that makes hornet,clifford, python...etc...

Another expensive alternative is Compustar

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you like your viper? (I realy like the screen and all)

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I love it even though I had to replace my remote twice because I dropped it way to many times haha...

the range is good but not as good as compustar b/c they use fm frequencies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I question the effectiveness of car alarms as a theft deterrent system. Living in LA, I hear alarms all the time and I can't remember the last time I poked my head out to see who was getting jacked. I usually brush it off as someones alarm being way to sensitive and a passing harley or truck set it off.

A friend of mine has had 3 cars jacked in as many years. They all had alarms.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I have the Audiovox APS 996 and it works really well, having the 2 way feature and good range. Another break-in deterrent would be to add 'extras' to the alarm. I just did a Scion TC over the weekend that had proximity and glass break sensors, as well as 4 sirens and a constant horn honk with a battery back-up, so if they disconnect the battery, the alarm still continues to go off for close to 30 minutes. If you get within 2 feet of the car, it chirps at you with a warn away feature. And when this thing goes off, you don't wanna be any where near it. Good luck, and hopefully your car won't be the next victim.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
If you get the Viper alarm get the mechanical hood lock. If your alarm goes off it will lock your hood down so they can't pop your hood to disconnect anything. It would have saved my car when it was stolen.

·
8,880 Posts
You could always upgrade stock security with aftermarket shock sensor as well as eliminate the problem with security system disengaging when screwdriver is stuck into the door handle. Details are in the thread linked in the useful posts sticky.

·
Registered
24 Posts
m3thod said:
If you get the Viper alarm get the mechanical hood lock. If your alarm goes off it will lock your hood down so they can't pop your hood to disconnect anything. It would have saved my car when it was stolen.
Do you know where to get one of these mechanical hood locks and how much they cost about?

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
A Note about the hood locks. They are not fool proof and they do screw up. This will not allow you the owner to also pop the hood!!!!! I dealt with these in the past and I no longer will!!!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
lisnup65 said:
A Note about the hood locks. They are not fool proof and they do screw up. This will not allow you the owner to also pop the hood!!!!! I dealt with these in the past and I no longer will!!!
I didn't know that. I can see where that could be a royal pain. Have a good story for us? Has this happened on more than one occasion?

Do you know where to get one of these mechanical hood locks and how much they cost about?
You should be able to get hood locks at wherever you have your alarm installed. I think they are in the $100-$150 range for the part.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Battery Back up realy apeals to me because thats what they did to my brothers car, poped the hood and disconected the battery :(

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I have the vipr 5000....just got it installed a month ago. It cost me 600 although I know it could have been a lot cheaper. The unit itself doesnt cost more than 300 not including all the other keyless entry, hoodpin, trunk popper, and crap like that. For this alarm...I didnt get the horn honk as well since i dont think it would be needed. After the alarm was installed...i dont know why but the horn honks as well lol. This alarm comes with the 2 way paging system and it shows what part was opened or setoff on the lcd pager.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
VP500 said:
haha same here
No shit. Where? And what RPM rating are you? I am up to #18. I want that damn trip to Daytona.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts