Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone knows whether the IS will carry an all aluminum engine next year or not???

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Next year? No. In a few years? Most likely. Next generation? Definitely.

For next year, Toyota/Lexus may redesign the exhaust so that the IS will get 225 hp (as it should've gotten in the first place), but I wouldn't expect Toyota/Lexus to install a new engine into it next year. After all, they just started producing the IS300. It may look bad to consumers who buy the IS300 now because they will think they got ripped off when they could've bought a more powerful version six months later at around the same price.

[This message has been edited by JW (edited June 12, 2000).]

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
JW, you mean like the S6 owners of yesterday? Or the 944 Turbo S owners versus the cheaper, better and equally fast 968's the next year. How about the $80K E320 cabrio versus a significantly less expensive and better performing CLK 430 cabrio. The list goes on and on. Don't be surprised to see that engine debut next year in the wake of the 330, new A4, C class, and a beefed up TL. Lexus will stand a better gain by offering new customers a better product than alienating the few that bought at debut.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I certainly hope that Toyota/Lexus will install an all-new engine into the IS300, in fact I'm looking forward to it. But I'm conjecturing that Toyota/Lexus may delay that for at least another year. It took them several years before putting in a new engine with VVT-i into the ES300 (along with a new body style), so I wouldn't be surprised if it took them a couple years to install a new engine into the IS300.

I was also thinking that the new engine will probably debut with the GS300 (in 2002?) first and then trickle down to the IS300.

[This message has been edited by JW (edited June 12, 2000).]

·
Registered
205 Posts
Brad,

You forgot an example closer to home. The $10,000 lowered base price of the Supra (I would have been livid if I bought one before the reduction).

Has anyone seen any pics of the redesigned GS?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
PXM, you're right. For the record, I am still going to be jealous as hell of everyone driving a year before I commit. There's definitely value in being first.

·
Registered
424 Posts
JW, I have the same thought in regards to the possible time for new engine debut in IS300. It's reasonable for Lexus to boost the sales of IS300 in its mid-production cycle, ie. the 3th year by improving the engine.

ES300 is a good example. In fact, I bought it in its 2nd year right before its VVT-i introduction in its 3rd year. Too bad.

Another example is the previoue generation of Camry. The increase in horsepower from 185hp to 188hp happened in its 3rd year where a cosmetic exterior changes happened for the remaining model years (the 4th & 5th year)

I will say there is predictable pattern on how they will act.

AndyL

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
AndyL,

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about...Toyota/Lexus seems to have that pattern. Another example is the LX450 -> LX470.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts