Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had to get an alignment and now I swear I feel a lot more bump steer in the cars handling. Does anyone know what in an alignment might cause the handling to behave differently? I'm wondering if it's a bad alignment (even though it doesn't pull either way on a smooth, even surface), and don't want to wait until I notice abnormal tire wear to figure it out.

Thanks for any help.

Doug

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, no springs or coilovers. The short story is my rear sway had come loose and I pushed into a curb. Lexus fixed the damage and did an alignment. By "bump steer", I'm referring to the feeling where the bumps or imperfections in the road cause the car to try to steer in one direction or another because the tire wants to follow the bump. It just seems that with the new alignment, I feel like I'm having to control the car more than I used to. This is on a road I drive daily, so I was pretty used to how it felt.

·
Registered
422 Posts
with low profile tires you will get that, it is not the car so much, it is the groves in the road cause mainly by trucks and heavy equipment. the side wall of the tires are hard to provide better cornering and better steering feed back.
if you were to put on a 60 or 70 series tire you would not have this problem, the sidewalls would soak up all or most of the imperfections in the road.
hope this helps

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm. Ok. Thanks for the info. (2Pac, your scenario you mention is definitely one of the places I definitely feel it). Maybe I'll check with Lexus to see what their specs are. If I wanted a car to drive like a FWD, I wouldn't have chosen this one.

Do you know by chance how I would go about having it aligned so it was not to factory specs (i.e. not toed in as much)? Or am I just asking for trouble?

Thanks again

·
3,160 Posts
dugshnay said:
Hmm. Ok. Thanks for the info. (2Pac, your scenario you mention is definitely one of the places I definitely feel it). Maybe I'll check with Lexus to see what their specs are. If I wanted a car to drive like a FWD, I wouldn't have chosen this one.

Do you know by chance how I would go about having it aligned so it was not to factory specs (i.e. not toed in as much)? Or am I just asking for trouble?

Thanks again
I ended up going to a guy down here in socal that was recommended to me. He doesn't go by factory specs but by how you drive the car and what type of car it is. Try to find a place that sets up race cars or has been around for a while. Don't use a place like Goodyear, Sears, etc.

·
Registered
336 Posts
dugshnay said:
I recently had to get an alignment and now I swear I feel a lot more bump steer in the cars handling. Does anyone know what in an alignment might cause the handling to behave differently? I'm wondering if it's a bad alignment (even though it doesn't pull either way on a smooth, even surface), and don't want to wait until I notice abnormal tire wear to figure it out.

Thanks for any help.

Doug
not sure if this helps, but maybe they adjusted the air pressure in the tires when they did the alignment???? raised the air pressure to cause this feel??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cobian said:
not sure if this helps, but maybe they adjusted the air pressure in the tires when they did the alignment???? raised the air pressure to cause this feel??
hmm. good point, I didn't check it. I'll do that in the morning. Spoke to Lexus, they're going to put it on the machine again just to make sure it's at least to their specs and not truly a problem. If that doesn't work out, maybe I'll have to hunt me down a good "crew chief" that will know what to do. :D

Thanks for everybody's responses on this.

Doug

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just thought I'd update with what I found with the air pressure.

Left rear and front were sitting around 31. Right rear and front were at 40. :eek:

So I don't think they specifically adjusted the pressure when doing the alignment, but in the same visit I had one new (right side) wheel and both on that side were remounted, so they must have pumped them up to 40, but not checked the others.

looking at them, I really couldn't tell. I felt 31 might be a little low, but 40 might be a little high (I'm not putting max load on them). So I set all to 34 and I believe that helped out my problem. It did raise the question though of how much they really should have, but I can go check the tire forum out for that.

I think I'll still let them verify the alignment, but this certainly made a difference.

Thanks again,

Doug

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.