Lexus IS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
14,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
bartkat said:
Why fool around with more Dunlops when you can change brands and pretty much eliminate the possibility of another bad set of tires?
Bummer tho-- the Bridgestones have like a 140 tread life rating compared to a 240 on the Dunlops! :(

·
Registered
258 Posts
Michael said:
Bummer tho-- the Bridgestones have like a 140 tread life rating compared to a 240 on the Dunlops! :(
From what I've read, treadwear ratings aren't very comparable between manufacturers. When I changed from a 160 treadwear Bridgestone to a 240 treadwear Kumho, I didn't get any significant mileage increase out of them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The Bridgestone tires are Potenza RE050.

I went up to the vehicle stock room yesterday, and noticed all the new IS's sporting the new Bridgestone tires. I mean all of them, including their new IS250 loaner cars.

·
Registered
14,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
pocky said:
The Bridgestone tires are Potenza RE050.

I went up to the vehicle stock room yesterday, and noticed all the new IS's sporting the new Bridgestone tires. I mean all of them, including their new IS250 loaner cars.
Crap, I was hoping they were THESE Bridgestone S-03's, They look bad and have a 220 tradewear rating.

At any rate, are you sure it was the RE050A's and NOT the RE050A-Pole Positions?

Here are all 3 Bridgestone tires that fit our car:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTireResults.jsp?search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&startIndex=0&width=null&frontRatio=40&minLoad=S&frontDiameter=18&frontRatio=40&rearWidth=255/&frontSortCode=53650&rearDiameter=18&frontWidth=225/&rearSortCode=54150&rearRatio=40&minSpeedRating=V&manufacturer=Bridgestone&speed_rating=VR&speed_rating=ZR&speed_rating=WR&speed_rating=YR&RunFlat=All

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had Dunlops 4 a while. I notice there was a small pull since I bought the car in March. I finally got my wife 2 take it 2 Lexus 3 months later. They cross rotated the fronts & supposely realign it. AHH!!! I got it back the same day & I swear the pull was worst. ( I should had left it alone, I thought) . It was so bad that it would change lanes if U smash the gas. So I reschedule an appointment with Lexus for the same problem. The end result after 3 days with my car, a new set of Bridgestone tires. Now the car rides straight & can't complain expect for that they have a little more road noise then the dunlops.

·
Cone Killer
7,315 Posts
F1_Freak said:
Rudy-- I am goig to ask a question that you may have answered ( will recheck the posts in a bit ) Could it be a tire pressure related issue? You know from racing that pressures can be the "same" from set of tire to set of tires.. but the characteristics may be different from set to set. Being as how these are a single set, the only things I would gather would be down to the Tire alone are:
1. pressure irregularities due to race/normal driving parameters
2. defect in the set causing the issue.
3. true alignment issue

I would be deathly interested to know if infact you swap tire manufactures and the issue goes away. Have the dealership guys swapped the rubber and been able to duplicte it in their possession?
In my case the pulling was not a HUGE prob, but it did drift more to the right than to the left. In all honesty all I wanted was for them to check the alignment. Which they did, and then replaced the tires.
I agree with the comment about being a bad lot of tires.
Same thing happened with the first gen, there was a bad batch of tires and were replaced under warranty.

Speaking to a different dealer in the area, they happen to be one of our customers, they service manager told me that the only thing that cures the problem with the pulling is changing the tires. The rubber bushing set that Lexus corp came out wtih did not do anything whatsoever.

Tire pressure will help some, but if you have to run some weird tire pressure combo, like lets say you have to run one tire significantly higher than the others, then there is an issue.

·
Cone Killer
7,315 Posts
Michael said:
They are swapping with the RE050 Pole positions. That is what I have on my car.

Michael, this is the OEM tire found on the Ferrari Enzo...why complain!!!!!!
Actually this tire was developed for the Enzo...you know you are ridding on a hell of a tire.

And having had, the predecessor to the RE050, the RE040 and the SO3...both in my 1st gen, I take the RE040 any day. The SO3 has a bit more grip, but a lot noisier, specially once it wears out. Plus, a much stiffer ride. And for some reason, it wore out quicker than the RE040.

I think the RE050 is the best of both worlds giving ya superior grip, great wet weather handling, and a decent ride, and noise levels.

·
Cone Killer
7,315 Posts
ALEXIS said:
The end result after 3 days with my car, a new set of Bridgestone tires. Now the car rides straight & can't complain expect for that they have a little more road noise then the dunlops.
Hmmm I find them quiter than the Dunlops. Though my Dunlops had had a rough 4500 miles on them.

Now, what I do find is that they RE050 are not as predictable when pushed to the limit, the break away hard, not like the dunlops that broke away very progressively, giving you plenty of feedback. Also, the re050 squeal somewhat when pushed hard, the dunlops never did that....though I have not played with the air pressure yet.

·
Registered
14,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
METEORO said:
They are swapping with the RE050 Pole positions. That is what I have on my car.

Michael, this is the OEM tire found on the Ferrari Enzo...why complain!!!!!!
Actually this tire was developed for the Enzo...you know you are ridding on a hell of a tire.

And having had, the predecessor to the RE050, the RE040 and the SO3...both in my 1st gen, I take the RE040 any day. The SO3 has a bit more grip, but a lot noisier, specially once it wears out. Plus, a much stiffer ride. And for some reason, it wore out quicker than the RE040.

I think the RE050 is the best of both worlds giving ya superior grip, great wet weather handling, and a decent ride, and noise levels.
Hey Rudy! LOL! I'm not complaining, just figure if we're gonna lose all the tread life, going form a 240--140 or so, we might as well get the best tire. Between the Reo50a and the Reo50A POLE POSITION, do you see much differece? I know the Pole Position version of the Reo50a costs more.. in actuality, I think the PP version was the one designed for the Enzo, not the NON PP version, I could be wrong?

·
Cone Killer
7,315 Posts
Michael said:
Hey Rudy! LOL! I'm not complaining, just figure if we're gonna lose all the tread life, going form a 240--140 or so, we might as well get the best tire. Between the Reo50a and the Reo50A POLE POSITION, do you see much differece? I know the Pole Position version of the Reo50a costs more.. in actuality, I think the PP version was the one designed for the Enzo, not the NON PP version, I could be wrong?
Dunno much about the differences, I have been researching the tire, but there is very little information on them. There must be a difference in the rubber compound for one. But the thread design looks almost identical...I think the blocks on the PP are a bit wider, but that is about it.
But we are getting the PP installed in our cars? Well at least I did.

As far as wear, that is what I was going back to, the SO3 lasted me less than my original RE040 (in my first gen). The re040 had the same treadwear as the re050, 140, yet the SO3 have 220.

I am happy with my re050's so far, though I am a huge fan of the Dunlops, I had the sp8000's, 9000's and I can tell ya those were great tires!
Well so were the sport maxx, no complaints from me..just the weak sidewall issue.

I need to auto-x the RE050's, i thought i was going to be able this weekend, but we have a b-day party to attend on sunday...bummmer!!!!

·
Registered
14,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
METEORO said:
Dunno much about the differences, I have been researching the tire, but there is very little information on them. There must be a difference in the rubber compound for one. But the thread design looks almost identical...I think the blocks on the PP are a bit wider, but that is about it.
But we are getting the PP installed in our cars? Well at least I did.

I need to auto-x the RE050's, i thought i was going to be able this weekend, but we have a b-day party to attend on sunday...bummmer!!!!
Keep us posted, btw, here's a comparo of all 3 at tirerack:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTireResults.jsp?search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&startIndex=0&width=null&frontRatio=40&minLoad=S&frontDiameter=18&frontRatio=40&rearWidth=255/&frontSortCode=53650&rearDiameter=18&frontWidth=225/&rearSortCode=54150&rearRatio=40&minSpeedRating=V&manufacturer=Bridgestone&speed_rating=VR&speed_rating=ZR&speed_rating=WR&speed_rating=YR&RunFlat=All

·
Cone Killer
7,315 Posts

·
Cone Killer
7,315 Posts
Michael said:
Which of the three is the newest?
The RE050, both regular and PP.

·
Cone Killer
7,315 Posts
METEORO said:
The RE050, both regular and PP.
The SO3 was developed for the Honda S2000.

EDIT: my bad the SO2 was developed for the S2000, the SO3 replaced the SO2.

·
Cone Killer
7,315 Posts
Michael said:
Both came out around the same time?

Ooooh thought you meant SO3 and RE050....

·
Cone Killer
7,315 Posts
Michael said:
So the REO50A and Pole position version of that tire came out around the same time?
Yeap...the SO3 was the one tha came out before

41 - 60 of 122 Posts