Lexus IS Forum banner
161 - 180 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Hard to see is that 12.9 afr? That is pretty lean. But with the FIC you should be able to correct that.
How is 12.9 lean? I've seen low boost setups run mid 13 AFR and last for a long time. This is 7psi...I appreciate the feedback, but it's silly to call 12.9 pretty lean. If I was seeing high 13s then I'd be concerned, but I don't see the point in running 11AFR on 7psi other than wasting fuel and robbing power.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
When are you going to use the FIC and push to 10 lbs?
At this point there is no need to push for more boost because I fear a rod will exit the block. I'm happy to drive it with this power level for awhile. The next mod will be to install the GTE intake and throttle body with the supravworld adapter plate to use the lower IS300 runners. I have all of the parts, but I still need to figure out the rerouting of the intercooler piping and extending the MAF wiring, if needed. Apparently the TB wiring should be able to be deloomed and then it should reach the GTE TB.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I haven't had a chance to mess with the FIC yet. The car is running fine on stock injectors for now.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The next mod will be to install the GTE intake and throttle body with the supravworld adapter plate to use the lower IS300 runners.
Any progress on this? I've been accumulating parts for this swap as well, and recently did a test fit of my GTE-VVTi upper onto my GE-VVTi lower. A diagonal brace on the hood contacts the throttle body flange. When it hits, the leading edge of the hood is ~30mm from shutting, and it's about 20mm from closing further back along the hood where it's directly inline with the throttle flange.

Meanwhile, the brace itself is about 20mm tall... So it seems like it'll be close AF even if the brace is cut.

I've used a piece of sculpting clay several times to get a good look of exactly where the interference is, but I'm still not confident enough to start cutting on my hood.

Worse, I bought an EFI Solutions adaptor to mount a Bosch DBW throttle, but there is zero chance that's gonna fit under the hood. Period. The hood slopes down pretty quick, which decreases clearance as you move forward from the flange. The face of the flange is slanted down a little, but not as much as the hood.

I'm still scheming on how to attack this; my best idea so far - if cutting the hood brace will get the flange to fit under the hood - is to fabricate a ~45* elbow to turn the throttle down immediately in front of the manifold...

I'm curious how this works out for you. If I make forward progress, I'll post up...

·
Registered
2004 IS300 Manual Swapped
67 Posts
Not to clutter the thread up too much, but I’d be curious to hear from both of you how the GTE upper install goes. I had decided this is the route I want to go for FFIM and keep DBW/Cruise Control, but if it’s not going to clear the hood that does save me some time, money, parts searching, and headaches…

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Any progress on this? I've been accumulating parts for this swap as well, and recently did a test fit of my GTE-VVTi upper onto my GE-VVTi lower. A diagonal brace on the hood contacts the throttle body flange. When it hits, the leading edge of the hood is ~30mm from shutting, and it's about 20mm from closing further back along the hood where it's directly inline with the throttle flange.

Meanwhile, the brace itself is about 20mm tall... So it seems like it'll be close AF even if the brace is cut.

I've used a piece of sculpting clay several times to get a good look of exactly where the interference is, but I'm still not confident enough to start cutting on my hood.

Worse, I bought an EFI Solutions adaptor to mount a Bosch DBW throttle, but there is zero chance that's gonna fit under the hood. Period. The hood slopes down pretty quick, which decreases clearance as you move forward from the flange. The face of the flange is slanted down a little, but not as much as the hood.

I'm still scheming on how to attack this; my best idea so far - if cutting the hood brace will get the flange to fit under the hood - is to fabricate a ~45* elbow to turn the throttle down immediately in front of the manifold...

I'm curious how this works out for you. If I make forward progress, I'll post up...
I have all of the parts, but I haven't done any work mocking it up yet. I've seen a few folks on Facebook install the adapter and had no clearance issues. I have poly engine mounts so I'm not worried about movement once it's installed. Honestly it'll likely be a project for the fall or winter because it's been way too hot to wrench in Vegas for the past month. In an emergency I'll do it, but something like this can wait.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·

·
4,795 Posts
It does work. The issue is the throttle body used. Even then, it can clear the GTE throttle. I had thought it would be possible to remote mount a throttle body. I was thinking cutting the flange off and extending the plenum with a 90 degree piece. The putting what ever flange needed. Or doing an individual throttle body setup and making a pressure plenum for it. Just fun thoughts right now.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have all of the parts, but I haven't done any work mocking it up yet. I've seen a few folks on Facebook install the adapter and had no clearance issues. I have poly engine mounts so I'm not worried about movement once it's installed. Honestly it'll likely be a project for the fall or winter because it's been way too hot to wrench in Vegas for the past month. In an emergency I'll do it, but something like this can wait.
How much vibration is there in the cabin from your poly engine mounts? I've been looking at buying the engine and transmission mounts from Xcessive for months now, I just don't want it too racecar in there if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
How much vibration is there in the cabin from your poly engine mounts? I've been looking at buying the engine and transmission mounts from Xcessive for months now, I just don't want it too racecar in there if you know what I mean.
A LOT more vibration, but my stock engine mounts were VERY worn out so I don't know how it compares to fresh stock mounts.

Reactions: Piggity

·
Registered
783 Posts
A LOT more vibration, but my stock engine mounts were VERY worn out so I don't know how it compares to fresh stock mounts.
I assume that you're using the orange bushings?

From their site:
Orange 80A (Firmer)
Yellow 65A (Softer)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
I assume that you're using the orange bushings?

From their site:
Orange 80A (Firmer)
Yellow 65A (Softer)
Yes. The orange bushings from xcessive. I like them because the engine doesn't move at all. I also have a poly transmission mount and poly rear diff bushings.

Reactions: Piggity

·
Registered
783 Posts
Yes. The orange bushings from xcessive. I like them because the engine doesn't move at all. I also have a poly transmission mount and poly rear diff bushings.
I think I might just buy their yellow engine/trans mounts because I still drive this thing 6 months a year in the summer. I can't stand the vibration with just a trans mount from Megan Racing and the Xcessive f/r diff mounts.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have the Xcessive engine mounts with the Yellow bushings. My car has 63k miles on it and the OEM mounts seemed to be in good shape. There is a lot more vibration with the Xcessive yellows.

Before the swap - I could literally balance a nickel on my cam cover while the engine was idling. Now? Not a f'n chance in hell. And it's a lot more than that - can feel the Xtra (see what I did there?) vibration at all times driving the car. I wouldn't recommend these mounts if a svelte daily driver is what you're after.

For reference, I have an Energy suspension poly transmission mount, Figs poly diff and rear cradle mounts. But I installed all those first, before the engine mounts, so I was able to compare before/after. After is a lot more vibration.

·
Registered
2005 Lexus IS300
196 Posts
I have the Xcessive engine mounts with the Yellow bushings. My car has 63k miles on it and the OEM mounts seemed to be in good shape. There is a lot more vibration with the Xcessive yellows.

Before the swap - I could literally balance a nickel on my cam cover while the engine was idling. Now? Not a f'n chance in hell. And it's a lot more than that - can feel the Xtra (see what I did there?) vibration at all times driving the car. I wouldn't recommend these mounts if a svelte daily driver is what you're after.

For reference, I have an Energy suspension poly transmission mount, Figs poly diff and rear cradle mounts. But I installed all those first, before the engine mounts, so I was able to compare before/after. After is a lot more vibration.
your mileage is so low im jealous

161 - 180 of 188 Posts