Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently just picked up a trd neo 1 replica front bumper from AIT located in LA. I really like this one because I wouldn't have to modify the USDM crash bar, and there was no ugly front license plate mount. So now it's time to paint, however, I've never painted something like this before. My 2004 IS is crystal pearl white, which I guess is a three-stage paint. The bumper came with a mint colored gel coat on it, I emailed one company which was selling the 062 paint kit and they stated that I would have to sand away all of the gel coat down to bare fiberglass. I'm kind of lost at this point of what exactly I need to buy and the process behind it. Also if anyone knows of a vendor to get 062 vinyl wrap I would be up for that option too.

IMG_1436.jpg

·
Registered
734 Posts
just picked up a trd neo 1 replica front bumper

Can’t offer any body work advice. Hope you keep the thread updated, though. I reaaally want one. To avoid confusion for future readers, it’s not a TRD neo v1. This is an L’tuned. The neo had no cutouts for the side markers, did have the license plate holder, and the vents below the fogs are closed. 👍🏼

It’s interesting you bought a bumper from them. They told me there was none to be had, and it would be 5 week wait. I’m jealous ! Plus you avoided that killer shipping!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can’t offer any body work advice. Hope you keep the thread updated, though. I reaaally want one. To avoid confusion for future readers, it’s not a TRD neo v1. This is an L’tuned. The neo had no cutouts for the side markers, did have the license plate holder, and the vents below the fogs are closed. 👍🏼

It’s interesting you bought a bumper from them. They told me there was none to be had, and it would be 5 week wait. I’m jealous ! Plus you avoided that killer shipping!
Funny you said that I was actually on a waitlist for 3 months, and they would not let me pick up the bumper due to corona so I was forced to pay shipping. Smh

·
Registered
734 Posts
would not let me pick up the bumper due to corona so I was forced to pay shipping. Smh
That is lame as hell dude. An outside socially distanced money-for-bumper swap would have about zero chance of virus transmission but whatever.

Will you be adding fogs to it? There’s a few old threads here that have some diy ways of gluing mounting studs inside the bumper and whatnot to install them. It’s a really good look on the old IS. Makes it look like a much newer car IMO. I really hope you keep the thread going with how you do it. I’d like to do one for my car.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Be sure to use quality primer/sealer, paint, and clear. Check the specs to see if an adhesion promoter or flex additive is suggested (check the manufacturer recommendations for the specific paints you're using). The AIT stuff has some give to it, so make sure the paint going on top of it has the same properties or you'll get random spider cracks over time.

Your bumper is going to stick out pretty badly against the hood and fenders if those are original - white is a bitch to match. The only way to do it is blend with the rest of the front end which unfortunately will cost ya more. If you prep and install yourself it could save you a few bucks from a body shop, but always make sure first. Some places need to prep and install themselves to honor any warranty or guarantee.
If you are definitely going to do everything yourself - test paint something first to see how much brighter the new paint is against your current paint. Some paint shops may be able to help in tinting to match. Depending on how picky you are, you could "reverse" blend a tinted white into the new bumper to better match the fenders - avoiding having to touch the hood or fenders at all. Your grille and headlights will help separate the center so color matching won't be as noticeable in that section. Since the working area isn't large, blending is a little more difficult going this route.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Mine Turned out Fairly Decent. I miss the fogs but can appreciate more airflow to the front brakes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts