Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found some info on the new twin-chamber airbags that are going to be used in the IS:

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/news,view.spy?artid=46707&pg=1

The goal is to make riding in the front passenger's seat safer, reducing the potential for injury from the airbag itself. In case of a collision, the airbag deploys into two chambers separated by a depression down the centre of the airbag. When the passenger makes contact with the airbag, the force of the impact is directed to the chest, shoulders and to a lesser extent, the face. This differs from current single-unit airbags that put a great amount of force on the face (nose and cheek) and neck; with the Twin-Chamber system, a physical gap between the two chambers gives the passenger's head a place to go, reducing the chance of contact with the face.

pretty cool stuff !!!!!
This info is also posted in the Roundtable forum.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I always wondered... what happens to people wearing glasses if they are hit by an air bag?

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
call them what you want. fact is they will save more lives and make the IS an even safer car than it already is.

I see families who walk into the Lexus showoom looking at it and going hmmmm... do I want a 45K GS300 or a 35K IS250 AWD with the new airbags? esp. since both have similar interiors, and the IS is "new" .

the GS300 needs its engine upgrade now. a year down the line may mean quite a few lost sales to cross-shopping with the lower priced IS'.

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
AppStar said:
I am wondering if "Having your head up your ass" will take on new meaning?
LMAO!!! I tell ya, not even safety features can be left alone...I love this site.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
amitkc said:
call them what you want. fact is they will save more lives and make the IS an even safer car than it already is.

I see families who walk into the Lexus showoom looking at it and going hmmmm... do I want a 45K GS300 or a 35K IS250 AWD with the new airbags? esp. since both have similar interiors, and the IS is "new" .

the GS300 needs its engine upgrade now. a year down the line may mean quite a few lost sales to cross-shopping with the lower priced IS'.
they already have the GS350 in Japan, didn't see any GS300s in the showroom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts