Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I want to put Airbags on my 01 IS and i was wondering if anyone out there that has done this. If there is, i want to know your opinion on airbags. I heard the ride quality is not as smooth as the stock suspension but thats just one opinion. YOur opinions are greatly appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
You will lose the nice handling of the IS if you put airbags on it. Not worth it IMO. Whats wrong with a set of coilovers?

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
i don't think anyone on this board has done it for rice reasons.

But some guy on ebay was selling his setup for a little more than a grand.

You'll have to research airbags somewhere else. There's no info on it on this forum. Try civics.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
xjayx300 v2.5 said:
do it right and get hydrolics...

:chill:
Spell it right and type "hydraulics"... :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
why would you want airbag susp? honestly.. they are a big waste of money... wtf are you going to do with your car? start jumping off cliffs and try to land it? waste of money and crappy feeling.. but you will be the only one that i know of with airbag susp

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
i don't think anyone on this board has done it for rice reasons.

just wondering...is having airbag suspension considered "rice" now?

personally, i wouldn't do it.

but i have seen it done cleanly on a GS b4...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
WTF since when is airbagging your car rice?? It mught be ghetto or something to that effect but rice... that's just stupid.

Personally I think airbags would be pretty clean. I would do it but I am to concerned about resale value, etc.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think it would look cool, but your car would not ride good. My cousing put the EAI air cylinder kit on his car and the first day a cylinder broke because his tire was rubbing when he would slam it down. Since then two more have broken for different reasons. The ride is very stiff.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Airbags are really only good for SUVs, and on the whole rice note its more of a ghetto thing to put airbags. I know ppl with thier SUVs airbagged I had em on my Exploder and it was an ok ride for an SUV but ull definatly ruin the smoothness of the IS.

·
Registered
671 Posts
There is one in houston that i run into often. the ride quality is going to go to hell, but with a nice set of wheels it wouldn't look bad. Bags are def. not rice. Just ghetto fabulous!

·
Registered
147 Posts
to hyper woop woop in the heeezy.

But im curious dont u care that ur gonna loose speed with a bulky ass air bag system?

from the ones ive seen the fast compressors arent light and the whole reason the IS has speed is its light wieghty ness, and the good ness, and fast ness ness ness.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Dont do air bags, do those gas shock, or whatever they are called. It replaces the shocks and springs on our cars with one huge shock, allowing you to pimp down lown and also be able to have a nice ride quality. But, you handling arount turns will really suck.

Bags come on Bens S class cars. You guys call that rice?

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
danielj said:
Dont do air bags, do those gas shock, or whatever they are called. It replaces the shocks and springs on our cars with one huge shock, allowing you to pimp down lown and also be able to have a nice ride quality. But, you handling arount turns will really suck.

Bags come on Bens S class cars. You guys call that rice?
bags dont come on S class cars jack....

ABC, a true active suspension system, utilizes a coil spring and an electronically controlled hydraulic cylinder in series, plus a separate gas-pressurized shock absorber at each wheel. Using a total system pressure of up to 2,900 psi, ABC continually adjusts each wheel's suspension to counteract vibration, pitch, dive, squat and roll. ABC also provides automatic 4-wheel level control, driver-selectable ride height and automatic lowering at higher speeds.1 Driver-selectable Sport mode virtually eliminates body roll for even flatter cornering and sharper handling response.
The "bags" as you refer to them supplement the standard gas shock... and the system is active, meaning it adjusts the pressure constantly to keep the car level, rather than using the bags to adjust the cars height for "show and no go" hence its far from rice...

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Mercedes uses a system called Airmatic, which is different from ABC--ABC is implemented along with Airmatic.

AIRMATIC

Instead of a conventional suspension and damping system with coil springs and gas-pressure shock absorbers, certain models are equipped with AIRMATIC, a system which combines pneumatic suspension with the Adaptive Damping System (ADS) to ensure a uniformly comfortable ride and high standards of active safety. AIRMATIC comprises a variety of components which are connected via pneumatic lines and CAN databus (Controller Area Network), namely pneumatic suspension struts front and rear, an air compressor, a central reservoir, air suspension valves, a control unit and various sensors. AIRMATIC is an open system in which the vehicle weight is supported by the compressed air enclosed in the rubber bellows of the suspension struts. Level control is effected by supplying or releasing air as and when required at each individual wheel, by means of fast-acting solenoid valves. The necessary data for controlling the valves is supplied by two yaw sensors on the front axle and one on the rear axle, which monitor the level of the vehicle. The air suspension not only automatically compensates for different payloads but also enables the vehicle level to be raised manually by 25 millimetres at the touch of a button on the instrument panel. This function is particularly useful when driving over dirt tracks, or badly potholed roads.
The Lexus LS430 and RX330 (possibly the LX470 too) can be equipped with air suspension, btw. However, I'm sure the Lexus and Mercedes systems aren't the typical airbags used by showcars.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts