Lexus IS Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
I had the same exact problem with just my pass air bag cover. Here is what i did.

1. pick up some armor all cleaning wipes( they are lint free, which is GOOD)
2. Rub the SHIT out of the cover, the wipes will get black fast, get another one
3. keeping doing this until you feel the tackyness no more, took me 12 or so wipes
4. you will notice the color will have dulled a bit, no problem, now go over the area with some armor all protectant wipes and your done!!! Did this to my cover about 2 months ago and its perfectly fine:cool:
Hmmmmm, it's like deja vu...............http://my.is/forums/f90/dash-paint-sticky-335566/#post5064690;)

That very same method worked well for me. megaman096 is right, you gotta rub the shit out of it, but it will come off.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Mine started with a sticky airbag cover, and now my dashboard trim is starting to get sticky too...F#ck!!!...I think armor all makes it worse...I might get a dash cover(although i think it is kind of ghey) just to cover up the sticky dash...Hey, at least its a quick fix and its cheaper than a full tank of gas...lol...

·
Registered
540 Posts
+1 on the sticky dash. it really pisses me off b/c mine is so bad.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Update...Do Not Use Armor All...

What started off as a sticky airbag has eventually spread to the dash between the airbag and glove box and center counsel...I decided since it looked so bad anyway, i decided to scrape off as much of the soft gooey shit as possible...I used this plastic putty knife and lots of this sticky tar like substance would come off...After scraping, the fresh plastic underneath wasnt so tacky..I tried to wipe some armor all to try and heal all the scrape marks i was making and it seemed to be working...After a while, i noticed that the fresh plastic that i had sprayed with armor all had become sticky again...

Conclusion.....
I've been using armor all all this time and its only now that im convinced that it must be the armor all that fucked up my dash and airbag cover in the first place..

What do you guys use to protect your dash that doesnt make it sticky?..Im looking for that product...

Those of you who have this sticky dash/airbag cover problem, what products do you use on the dash and interior trim?..

·
Registered
288 Posts
I know this is bringing back an old post, but my entire dash (around the radio, etc and runs down around the shifter) and of course, the air bag cover, is really gummy. I have these cloth-type of window sunshades and just the slightest bump makes marks or gashes on any of the sticky pieces. It's driving me crazy and looks terrible. Has anyone figured out what to do about this?

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
mine has some surface wear on it. I guess the sun. Somewhat sticky as well.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
I thought I was the only person with this problem!

Mine is sticky, I had the car detailed and the guy used a red rag and it had lots of red fibers stuck all over it for a while... drove me NUTS!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the same problem w/ my 2003's passenger airbag cover! I've never put armorall on it, but it only gets sticky when then interior gets hot. Has anyone tried anything else besides the 'meguier's cleaning wipes'?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an 04 and mine did this as well. Do NOT spray armoral.
Here are the steps I used and it's as good as new.

1. Remove the passenger side airbag. The dash piece is connected to the complete air bag. You can remove this under the glove compartment.
2. Clean as much of the dash piece with paint thinnner to remove all armoral.
3. Spray 2-3 light coats with vinyl paint (black)
4. Let dry couple of hours and reinstall.

The dash piece will not be sticky anymore.

·
Registered
358 Posts
the airbag cover is rubber or something like it so it doesn't break your face when the airbag goes off. It looks like the same material as the plastic dash but its not. painting is probably the only way to get rid of it. and no type of cleaner/protectant has worked for me so far. i just dont touch it and lightly brush off the fuzz that lands on it

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I have an 02 and just noticed this summer that the passenger airbag cover is sticky and tacky. The car has been garage kept for most of its life when not used and only this summer stayed outside most of the time. Haven't fixed the issue but I let the car cool down over a couple of cooler summer days and nights and the cover is noticeable less sticky
It's at that point I start to try to wipe it down with water but the sticky comes back once it gets hot.

Next attempt will be some dishwasher liquid and water for a wipe down
I'll see if it's any better. I've only ever used meguiers wipes on the dash. Rest of the dash is good... Not yet convinced it's the meguiers. If you search google you'll find sticky airbag covers is not uncommon across car models

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have an 02 and just noticed this summer that the passenger airbag cover is sticky and tacky. The car has been garage kept for most of its life when not used and only this summer stayed outside most of the time. Haven't fixed the issue but I let the car cool down over a couple of cooler summer days and nights and the cover is noticeable less sticky
It's at that point I start to try to wipe it down with water but the sticky comes back once it gets hot.

Next attempt will be some dishwasher liquid and water for a wipe down
I'll see if it's any better. I've only ever used meguiers wipes on the dash. Rest of the dash is good... Not yet convinced it's the meguiers. If you search google you'll find sticky airbag covers is not uncommon across car models
Youre lucky to ONLY have it on your airbag cover, as 02+ dashes are known to have issues with the soft-touch finish on the dash 'melting' due to inproper cleaning such as armorall or plain sun exposure.

I wouldnt recommend using dish soap or any cleaning materials for that matter, as the material will only continue to come off in more areas, possibly your dash.
If you MUST, and if its not too late already, i'd use a bit of warm water with Johnson&Johnson baby soap, its gentle and has no PH.

For more info search for 'melted' or 'sticky' dash, you'll soon realize how common of a problem this is for many members on here, and how some have fixed this issue. from DIY dash stripping and painting, to entire dash replacement

·
Registered
923 Posts
Ours has the sticky passenger airbag too, and we've never used any kind of wipes on it. Like others have said, it seems to be a material problem.
It is..
The Soft-Touch material goes bad sooner or later, if not ask mid 90's BMW and VW owners, it was used on some of their models

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.