Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone thought of experimenting with the liquid to air intercooler the newer turbo IS's use? They are more efficient than an air to air, as well as much more compact. You could use much less piping and get cooler intake temps and spend a small amount of $$ vs the prices for a good air to air. They have used OEM turbo IS200 air to liquid coolers all over eBay for $175.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Has anyone thought of experimenting with the liquid to air intercooler the newer turbo IS's use? They are more efficient than an air to air, as well as much more compact. You could use much less piping and get cooler intake temps and spend a small amount of $$ vs the prices for a good air to air. They have used OEM turbo IS200 air to liquid coolers all over eBay for $175.
They work. But the cot is not cheaper. Two coolers basically, Plus piping and fluid. Also a little heavier.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whether it actually is cheaper remains to be seen, and would really depend on whether you used your current cooling system, or if you went standalone with an electric pump and separate radiator. Even then - good, quality bar and plate intercoolers are real expensive so...
But all that aside, air to water are still much more efficient than air to air. They are also much more compact, and with that fact, you wouldn't need more piping either, seeing how you wouldn't need to route it all the way to the front of the car. The added weight is negligible, especially if it's for a 5-600hp car. 15-20 lbs isn't gonna hold you back at that power level
Seems like a win win to me. The only drawback I'm finding is just the added complexity.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Could be interesting for sure. These new turbo Lexus all use the same engine...8ARFTS... we have an NX200T. It’s pretty peppy for what it is. I wish someone (less expensive than the two currently availiable) would build a downpipe for it. I have meant to throw my code reader on it and see what the IATs are. I know in the summer on my GTE S362sxe IS300 it will run about 10F above ambient with air-air ic. I wonder what the Nx200t runs?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Water to air intercoolers work well for short periods of time on boost and for daily drivers. Unfortunately as the water heats up they become less efficient and not popular for racing applications as well as being more complicated and heavier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts