Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find the best way to go about this. From what I found the iat signal wire is tan on the maf harness. Is there a way to piggy back that to the temp gauge on the clock? Better to wire up inside or in engine bay? Thanks.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm trying to find the best way to go about this. From what I found the iat signal wire is tan on the maf harness. Is there a way to piggy back that to the temp gauge on the clock? Better to wire up inside or in engine bay? Thanks.
You would have to compare the signal outputs and most likely adapt the two to get a meaningful output. You can probably check the voltage readings on both using a multimeter and see what you get and go from there.

TBH though, I would get a digital readout gauge and fit it somewhere else in the cabin. I recently hooked up a voltmeter straight from the battery terminals since I didn't like the readout we get for the dash clock one. Here's a pic

Granted I had to shave some of the plastic to fit it in, but I like the result. I have it hooked up to a switch and it works perfect. A shame I only get 13.5v once it's warmed up though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might relocate the trac off switch to the left side of the steering wheel where one of the coin holders is. Then put a digital readout in its place for the intake temp. Thank you, you have me thinking now. I'm not convinced with the factory voltmeter myself I'll have to look at other things. The only issue with the intake temp at the clock is that the left side will still say "out side" which will bug me.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I might relocate the trac off switch to the left side of the steering wheel where one of the coin holders is. Then put a digital readout in its place for the intake temp. Thank you, you have me thinking now. I'm not convinced with the factory voltmeter myself I'll have to look at other things. The only issue with the intake temp at the clock is that the left side will still say "out side" which will bug me.
You could relocate the trac switch to the left side of the steering wheel, it would be a pain to wire though. But I'm assuming you're up to the task.

For changing the display, I don't know if it's a fully functional mini 7 segment display or not. If it is, then it's a matter of hunting down where it's reading to say "outside ", and changing it to say "Inside". I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this isn't possible, but I haven't verified it.

I found this on ebay. Its 12v. From what I could find the iat is 5v. So most likely that will not work correct? I will need a 5v gauge? Thanks.
With a little electrical engineering anything is possible. There are several ways you can address the problem, the easiest would be just adding a proper resistor inline and dropping the output voltage. While being an elementary solution, it's probably better than a buck converter, which would throw off the signal as that's what you're trying to recover.

With that being said, I would stay away from something that massive, if you noticed how large it is.

You can probably find something similar to what I have that will work, but you'd have to look around

·
Mr. Roo
9,581 Posts
Why not get a unit that is designed for this? I have a Scanguage II on mine. It plugs into the OBD2 port, and I have wired mine through the dash and put a whole up on top and used Velcro to stick it in place. It gives all sorts of readings, and up to 4 at once. Including air intake temp and voltage. It can set the backlight LED to any custom color you want. I'm sure there are other OBD2 units that can do the same thing by now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts