Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Many people, myself included favor the JoeZ intake over the open-element type. It is value priced and gets the job done.

Opintions vary to check out the many topics about intakes and you will get the idea of what is right based on your taste.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Its on l-tunedparts.com for $120

Reactions: kingofthievez

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many people, myself included favor the JoeZ intake over the open-element type. It is value priced and gets the job done.

Opintions vary to check out the many topics about intakes and you will get the idea of what is right based on your taste.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I am actually going to have a dyno performed on my car tommorow. I am doing a baseline stock run before adding the JoeZ intake as well as headers.

I should be able to put the intake on after may base runs and get some numbers soon. It depends on how much dyno time I get. I think 0 to 7hp has been suggested.

I will go back to the shop once I have the headers installed to check the results.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yea that sounds pretty nice..and i think i might look into getting that air intake but what else could i add to gain some power but i dont really want to mess with the engine and stuff.. thanks jake

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
yea that sounds pretty nice..and i think i might look into getting that air intake but what else could i add to gain some power but i dont really want to mess with the engine and stuff.. thanks jake

No intake will add significant power to an ISx50. The Joe Z will do as well or better than anything else for the least money too, but you're looking at 3-5 hp max. If you're lucky.

An exhaust might give you another 5-7 if you want to stay legal... maybe 10-12 on an IS250 if you don't mind not being legal. Costs will vary in the 500-700 range for legal and 1000-1500 for illegal.

The mazzuri headers can supposedly add 25 or so on a 250, not sure if they fit the AWD model though, and that'll run you around $750 plus a good 3-4 hours of labor for install.

And that's about it for adding power.

If you're looking for more than that then it's time to trade in for a 350 (or a GS if you MUST have AWD).

·
Registered
459 Posts
The current Mazzuri Super header does not work for the AWD. However, I am working with Daniel (Mazzuri Super) to develop a new set that will fir for the AWD.

Just this weekend I sent the header back to Daniel to have reworked. He needs to get access to an AWD car so that he can know what adjustments need to be made.

Once the set bolts up - I will have a dyno done to see how they work. I would hope to have it all done in about a month or two.

It should be noted that this modification can impact your vehicles emissions status depending on you location.

Regards,

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
The mazzuri headers will make the car illegal in all 50 US states since they delete the primary cats.

Many states don't do emissions inspections to -check- this, but it'd still be illegal, since those cats are required by -federal- law.

You can try to find a local exhaust shop to rig up something for you to sneak past a visual, though technically that'd still be illegal since changing the -location- of the cats is illegal too

·
Registered
26 Posts
not in michigan

:p MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949

257.707 Muffler, engine, power mechanism, and exhaust system; requirements; prohibitions.

Sec. 707.

(1) A motor vehicle, including a motorcycle or moped, shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and annoying smoke. A person shall not remove, destroy, or damage any of the baffles contained in the muffler, nor shall a person use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device upon a motorcycle or moped on a highway or street.

(2) The engine and power mechanism of a motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

(3) A motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a properly operating exhaust system which shall include a tailpipe and resonator on a vehicle where the original design included a tailpipe and resonator.

History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949 ;-- Am. 1969, Act 134, Imd. Eff. June 1, 1970 ;-- Am. 1976, Act 44, Imd. Eff. Mar. 17, 1976 ;-- Am. 1976, Act 439, Imd. Eff. Jan. 13, 1977

© 2007 Legislative Council, State of Michigan

:p

·
Registered
26 Posts
nope you were right federal law trumps. illegal to remove any properly working pollution reductoin device:(

·
Registered
84 Posts
does anyone know anything about the new air intake system off the IS-F? will that significantly increase the hp if placed on the is250 awd?

·
Registered
84 Posts
on the website it says that the part can be used interchangeably with any of the other IS models. i also checked with the dealership and just called lexus to verify this

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
on the website it says that the part can be used interchangeably with any of the other IS models. i also checked with the dealership and just called lexus to verify this
I'll bet you my car against yours you're wrong.

Dealerships are known to have no clue what they're talking about.

Here's pics of an IS-F engine-

2008 Lexus IS F engine uncovered

The intake plumbing doesn't even go to remotely the same place as on the ISx50.

Not even close.

You might be thinking of the F _sport_ intake, which has nothing whatsoever to do with the IS-F.

And no, that won't significantly increase your horsepower either, but it will physically fit at least.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts