Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
an intake is an intake just make sure you put a heat shield on it or else you'll throw a CEL when the radiator fans come on. if its a 3inch thats even better im pretty sure the AEM, injen and JoeZ is a 3 inch diameter. any larger is a no no with an exception to teh SRT intake

·
Registered
675 Posts
I would rather get Joe Z intake or SRT intake. Joe z intake - best bang for the buck and SRT intake - expensive but have the best result. I would never trust eBay stuff because most of the time eBay stuff made in cheap material.

·
Premium Member
23,141 Posts
If its 3" where the MAF goes in then you may want to be weary of using it. Reason being is the ECU is anticipating that its in a 2.5" housing so you will be getting more air than the ECU thinks. The SRT intake comes with a small "module" just to compensate for this.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i had that same exact intake on my car for over 6 months. never threw a code and made the engine sound better. i got it because i had already made plans for the aristo swap and wasnt gonna spend $300 + for somthing i wasnt gonna use for long...

if you plan to stay NA i would go with a better quality intake. if you just want it to breath and sound better for a while, try it out. worst case senerio ur out $30...

·
Premium Member
20,996 Posts
if yall have never seen one or used one dont give your .02 cause youll just be talking out of your ass. i ordered one and the quality is fine. i got it cause i needed to cut it up for the maf flange for my IC piping but still, the quality is there. its just a metal pipe like anything else. to whomever said, "its a lexus, dont cheap out", you need to get off your high horse. this car is the new civic. if it can be had for 6k there is no class and nothing high and mighty about it

Reactions: MrGregski

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
LOL

This forum has gone to shambles. I wish I joined this forum like 5 years ago......

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
just joined. lol. well i had an ebay intake on my tib and the only part of it that made it a piece of shit is the filter. all u gotta do is go get urself a k&n filter or or something of that quality. auto part stores didnt carry k&n around me so i just bought autozone brand specter and that was pretty good

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
i had that same exact intake on my car for over 6 months. never threw a code and made the engine sound better. i got it because i had already made plans for the aristo swap and wasnt gonna spend $300 + for somthing i wasnt gonna use for long...

if you plan to stay NA i would go with a better quality intake. if you just want it to breath and sound better for a while, try it out. worst case senerio ur out $30...
Just out of curiosity, how do you secure it to the car? The ebay ad says it has a mounting bracket, but I don't see anything. Pics?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't do it. those things are shit. i had the same idea for my 04 Yukon and it didnt go well the intake's are poorly made and they will fall apart. my advice if you want to stay NA save up your money and buy a used K and N, SRT or Joe z. and if you think you want to go boosted, keep your stock intake on change the filter and if you want sound switch up your muffler, or get a cat/axelback. you can find some decent cheap ones on here

·
Registered
254 Posts
Don't do it. those things are shit. i had the same idea for my 04 Yukon and it didnt go well the intake's are poorly made and they will fall apart. ...
How does a piece of metal fall apart? I'd just be worried about mounting the pipe, but I'd suppose with a firm coupler it should support the weight of an air filter. I don't see why people make a big deal about an intake. The difference between them, with the exception of the SRT intake and possibly the K&N due to being plastic, is very minimal. I started off with an Injen intake, but I don't see why these eBay ones are any different. :confused:

If you really are anti eBay stuff, just wait it out for a branded used one.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.