Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Latex salesman
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and found you when I was doing an internet search on air induction kits. I would like to purchase one but I do not know anything about them. I do not intend to race but I would like to add some hp and "tweak' the engine. In my search, I have read numerous articles and the leading brands seem to be Injen, AEM, K&N, True Flow, Blitz, etc. I'm looking for an objective viewpoint and recommendation. I just want the best value for my money based on my application. Many thanks. BTW, I have an '03 5-speed Sportdesign in Thundercloud. I've done a few "subtle" things to the appearance (altezza lights, 18' wheels/tires).

Mayo :)

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
there are tons of posts about intakes. If I were you I'd do a search for "best intake" and you'll find some useful posts.

And what do you mean altezza lights. You already have altezza lights.

·
Latex salesman
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Air Induction

Thanks Sophie. I will take your advice. My bad on the Altezza thing. I meant to say that I replaced the back brake lights and front/rear side lights with clear lights. I also but red bulbs in the brake lights. It looks sharp. I found them at Lextasy.com.

Mayo :D

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
my suggestion would be the SRT intake for simplicity and hp gain.

I have a used one at my house selling for 400 shipped. It's been used for 5000 miles.

But check around and lemme know. I was gonna put it up for sale in a day or two anyway.

·
Latex salesman
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Air induction

Many thanks. I will keep that in mind. Right now I have it in my garage under a car cover for the winter so I won't be doing this till the Spring. I just bought an old clunker to go back and forth to work. The winters in Indiana can be harsh.

Where are you from and what does it mean when the site says "you have zero dots"?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
right now, dots serve no real purpose...if someone has negative dots, they are a really bad person...jk...it doesnt really mean anything for now, but in the future, hopefully, (i guess) the webmaster will use these dots as some sort of money...say if u have like 2000000000000000 dots, u might get a free sway bar kit of some sort....
but for now, nothing

as SophieSleeps says, go for SRT for easier tuning.

go for Injen, and the Apexi SAFC for fine tuning...
also u can add a blitz filter to that for a few hp, (5hp?)

if u want to know the best exhaust or would rather see for yourself, goto the Best Exhaust Sticky...
enjoy and good luck
btw, welcome to .net :)

·
Premium Member
8,548 Posts
AltezzaBoy03 said:
right now, dots serve no real purpose...if someone has negative dots, they are a really bad person...jk...it doesnt really mean anything for now, but in the future, hopefully, (i guess) the webmaster will use these dots as some sort of money...say if u have like 2000000000000000 dots, u might get a free sway bar kit of some sort....
but for now, nothing

as SophieSleeps says, go for SRT for easier tuning.

go for Injen, and the Apexi SAFC for fine tuning...
also u can add a blitz filter to that for a few hp, (5hp?)

if u want to know the best exhaust or would rather see for yourself, goto the Best Exhaust Sticky...
enjoy and good luck
btw, welcome to .net :)
i say go prolex, i think its a better gig, not to mention half the price. i am partial cause i have it perhaps, my firend had the SRT with R/ecu after a prolex, he took the srt off and went back to the prolex after 1.5 weeks if that tells you anythign

·
Latex salesman
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Induction

Wow! I have no idea what you just said. I'm a real novice at this. I don't plan to race and just wanted to make some "subtle" changes in performance. Could you explain some of those products and their application? Many thanks for the reply.

Mayo

·
Premium Member
8,548 Posts
subtle is definately a prolex

http://www.prolexperformance.com

the silent flow intake is awsome in my book, see some dyno charts of mine in the sticky with that and an exhaust, not to mention it seems nearly stock, they claim 9 rwhp out of it, not sure about that, but i could tell a subtle difference, especially at higer rpms with very little in sound change, just a bit more growl to the engine, but volume is minimally increased, almost unnoticed

·
Latex salesman
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Advice

Many thanks to everyone for the advice and recommendations. This is a lot to consider and digest. I certainly have time. My order of preference will be to add an induction kit, then look into a cat back exhaust and finally add some performance brakes and rotors. I will be in touch. This can get quite addicting. :D

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Mayo, induction is considered turbo or supercharged...
aka Forced Induction = FI

the thing you're looking for is intake...not induction :)

·
Premium Member
8,548 Posts
actually he's right. it is induction, just not forced induction, induct/intake they are synonyms, it is the matter of how it is inducted that you are arguing. he never said forced or compressed so, just cause he's a few decades off in his lingo doesn't mean he's wrong :)

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
somguy2u said:
actually it is induction, just not forced induction, induction/intake they are synonyms, it is the matter of how it is inducted that you are arguing. he never said forced otr compressed so, just cause he's a few decades off in his lingo doesn't mean he's wrong :) take it easy on him
you say To-ma-to, i say To-mah-toe.. same thing 8)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i wasnt being hard on him at all :eek: :lol:

i personally just thought that...and i guess i was wrong :lol:

Peace

·
Latex salesman
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
induction

Now I see said the blind man. Thanks to everyone. BTW, I never took what AltezzaBoy said as a negative...just some friendly feedback. I did speak to an individual in the parts department at a local Lexus dealership and he recommended the K&N FIPK, a cat back exhaust (Tanabe Hyper Medallion) and power slot brake rotors. I am going to keep the stock calipers and have them powder coated. Great recommendations from everyone! I will let you know what I decide to do.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i would get the PLP Silent Flow intake, TRD Drop in filter, HKS Hiper Exhaust if i wanted to stay stealth AND if i havent already gotten what i have :lol:

everyone's got their own opinion so, do as you wish :D

good luck with the decision, purchase, and installation!

Peace

one reminder, when you are cleaning and reoiling the K&N Filter, dont put too much on...

·
Latex salesman
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
advice

Sounds like a winner. I have really narrowed down my choices though...all thanks to you. It really helped me cut down on the confusion. I will keep in touch.

Mayo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.